PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Smelly trainers

Options
Does anyone have any old style solutions to deodourising trainers without buying all the expensive sprays?

Comments

• moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yep, sprinkle them inside with Bicarb and leave them overnight, then empty it out in the morning. Smelly feet can be dealt with by soaking washed sock in a solution of bicarb and leaving to dry on the line. It cuts foot odour down better than odour eaters.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Benson,

This older thread might help:

stinky shoes - any ideas?

Pink
  • Hi there

My trainers have started to smell from all the running I'm doing and they need a good clean too. Any hints/tips welcome. I can't wash the trainers in the machine because it would destroy the gel inside - they're running shoes.

Any tips would be so welcome not just for me but for my fellow running mates :rotfl:
    DFW Nerd no: 149 ;)

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Sprinkle the insides with bicarb, leave overnight and then pour out, should help with the smell!!!!
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Make sure you always wear socks with them, and take them off as soon as you can after your run to let them dry out.
    I've read a couple of articles about how long it can actually take your trainers to dry between workouts - some times up to a week :eek: (depending on the fabric, breathability & so on)
    If you're doing a lot of serious running you should maybe look to invest in a second pair & alternate them between runs.
    Usually you can take the insole out & wash that by hand - should reduce some of the smell.
  • floridadreamin
    Options
    I've used the Bicarb idea. Got it off here afew months ago and it works a treat.
    :j
  • youngie
    youngie Posts: 999 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    cat litterworks too. put it into old pair of socks tie the ends then put them in your trainers
  • liz.._4
    liz.._4 Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    put them in the washer on a wool cycle
    :)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi wanna-be-mortgage-free,

When my son's get a bit squiffy, I bung them in the washing machine. But as you've said you can't do that with yours, have a look at this thread for ideas: stinky shoes - any ideas?

For cleaning the outside of them, I use cif cream, it usually cleans them up quite well. There are lots more suggestions on this thread: White Trainers

Pink
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't wear mine more than three times a week (playing a team sport) so my method might not work for the OP.:confused:

Sometimes I can actually feel the heat (sweat:o ) coming out of the trainers when I take them off. If they're particularly hot/sweaty, I place them on the window sill under an open window to air. Otherwise, I leave them to air in a cool room.

I don't put the trainers back in the wardrobe until the following morning.

I think the worst thing you can do is to put hot/sweaty trainers in a sports bag and leave them to fester.:eek:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure