PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Smelly trainers

Options

Comments

• Austin_Allegro
    Options
    If it's a serious foot odour problem you're better off treating the cause rather than the symptoms - could be a fungal infection etc. At any rate wearing trainers won't help!

You could try spraying white vinegar in a spray bottle then letting the shoes dry overnight. Febreze works quite well also.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    sounds old fashioned but fill an old sock with tealeaves add few drops of essential oils of your choice,tie the top of sock so as not to spill and pop inside trainers you can keep using these,it takes away the odour and the oils give them aplesent smell,it works
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    my teenage son`s feet pong too:rolleyes: i normally end up washing my sons trainers once/twice a month in the machine because he plays football alot and they get manky quickly i can cope with just dirt but the pong from inside the trainers was just awful :eek: the thing thats actually smelling is the bacteria multiplying ewwww a thing that i have really found that really works is pitrok which is a natural crystal normally used as a deodourant i bought mine in asda for about a fiver and have been using mine every day for well over a year and its fab and still hardly looks used :j in fact i have 1 for my personal use and ds has 1 just for his trainers, what i do is after ds`s trainers have been washed and are still damp i run the pitrok all over the inners of his trainers and it stops any bacteria multiplying and stinking then i just leave them to dry as normal and it really does stop the stink as the bacteria isnt even given a chance to grow! :j :D hope this helps...angchris
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Shazmar wrote:
    not really a moneysaver query

It is if it saves you buying another pair!!!

Put them in a couple of carrier bags, tie up the handles and pop them in the freezer overnight. The temperature kills off the bacteria that lives in them stopping the smell.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • crawley_girl
    crawley_girl Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is if it saves you buying another pair!!!

Put them in a couple of carrier bags, tie up the handles and pop them in the freezer overnight. The temperature kills off the bacteria that lives in them stopping the smell.

Someone once told me that and I didn't believe them cos I thought it was off the wall. I guess I owe the other person an apology!
    Ever wonder about those people who spend £2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    Someone once told me that and I didn't believe them cos I thought it was off the wall. I guess I owe the other person an apology!

id heard it before as well and have done it several times and it works great untill the fousty feet are placed back in the trainers :rotfl: where the smell starts all over again! at least with the pitrok its an ongoing solution... well it lasts quite a while anyway and saves everyones noses in the process:j
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • Shazmar_2
    Shazmar_2 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all, some great ideas. Have tried the freezer trick, didn't really work. Think I'll definitely try angchris's idea next as it seems to be the one that may be the longest lasting. However if that do'nt work I now have a few others to try. Thanks again.
  • studentphil
    studentphil Posts: 37,640 Forumite
    Options
    How much bicarb do you put in them?

Does freezing wreck your trainers?
    :beer:
  • brightonman123
    Options
    I had been walking arounf all day yesterday (save £3.50 bus, or £??? taxi!), and kicked off the size 12's which ponged a bit..

There was half a lemon left in the fridge, so thought I'd try frejening up said plates of meat, with a chink in each..

left overnight in a cool place, and they smell great!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Never heard that one before! have always sworn by the sprinkled bicarb, left overnight. Must try this myself! Thanks!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family