PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Smelly trainers

Options

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lucie wrote:
    Make sure you always wear socks with them, and take them off as soon as you can after your run to let them dry out.
    I've read a couple of articles about how long it can actually take your trainers to dry between workouts - some times up to a week :eek: (depending on the fabric, breathability & so on)
    If you're doing a lot of serious running you should maybe look to invest in a second pair & alternate them between runs.

Agree entirely with this. For the same reason, we shouldn't wear the same pair of shoes two days running.

As well as sprinkling with bicarb, leave them outside for a few hours, in the sun if you can. It will give them a good airing and the sun may evaporate some of the .... erm ... aroma! That's the word :D
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • crossleydd42
    crossleydd42 Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Options
    To dry them out faster, put them in the airing cupboard.
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • Smashing
    Smashing Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    Options
    The aforementioned baking soda works, or putting them in a plastic back and chucking them in the freezer overnight kills the bacteria that make them smell.

Also second the advice of getting another pair of trainers so you can alternate them - it's always a good idea to let them 'air.' Ensure that your socks are mainly cotton (around 75% - 100% cotton don't absorb as much and they get soggy). Some sports socks also have 'ventilation' type designs if you want to go all fancy. ;)

Feet wise - soak them in warm water with a few drop of tea tree oil which is good for healing and antibacterial nonsense. :beer:
  • Many many thanks for all these wonderful tips. I especially like the buying a new pair to alternate but as you can see from the signature I can't just at the moment until I get my overdraft down :rotfl: I will thank you all when the thanks button comes back on :confused:
    DFW Nerd no: 149 ;)

• singlehouseholder
    Options
    Cheap talc works too, and leaves your stinky shoes smelling nice, use it for my Mr@s slippers, and they lift!!!
    RIP Floyd - 19/04/09. I know i'll see you again my best friend forever.

19/06/2013 T12 incomplete Paraplegia, down but not out.
  • Polly
    Polly Posts: 898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My sons' trainers are driving me out of the house! I put them in the washing machine regularly (the trainers that is, not the kids ;) ) but to no avail. My husband had the idea recently of putting an onion inside them and its just made them worse! Help. Please give me some solutions.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Polly

I think that the Old Style experts will help you with your smelly trainer problem so I'll move your thread across.

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • cabra1
    cabra1 Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    I know what your going
    through with this.

I take it your son has more than
    one pair of shoes/trainers ?

Someone told me this and
    it works,pop the trainers
    in a plasic bag tie the bag with a
    knot so nothing can get in
    and put them in the freezer
    for 24/48 hours when you get
    them out of the bag straight
    away and let them come up to
    room temp ,they are smell free
    the freezing process kills
    the bacteria in them and
    they are bone dry as well.

If its really grim Lamasil is
    a good one to try you should get
    about a months relief from the
    smell.But if you keep freezing the
    the shoes/trainers and use this
    for a few months,you should be
    ok in the end

http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/pics/products/10400/3/lamisil_once.jpg
  • purpleimp
    Options
    Then there's always the trusty bicarb too, but I'm really impressed with the freezer idea!xxx
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I put them in the washing machine on delicate- absolutely fine!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure