PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Smelly trainers

Options

Comments

• Polly
    Polly Posts: 898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They'll be in the freezer by tonight! Thanks. Do wash them regularly (2 sons - 2 pairs each) and they're ok for a few days but worried about washing them so often as its not exactly recommended. Will give this a go.
  • susank
    susank Posts: 809 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Plastic bag with handful of bicarb of soda and seal them in the bag for a couple of days - should help. Also make "mice" with old socks filled with bicarb and stuffed into trainers overnight to help
    Saving in my terramundi pot £2, £1 and 50p just for me! :j
  • duncans-mum_2
    Options
    I have never tries this so don't know if it works, but apparently puting orange peel in your trainers when not in use gets rid of the smell. Might be worth a try.
  • Polly
    Polly Posts: 898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Orange peel also deters cats from parts of your garden etc that you don't want them to come near.
  • Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    Poundland sometimes sell moisture-absorbing shoe inserts (can't remember what they call them) which are basically cloth sachets of charcoal which you put in the trainers overnight to absorb the sweat and stop them getting pongy.
    I occasionally sprinkle talc into my son's trainers as a quick fix, and use Oxy powder to wash them.
    Really overpowering trainer smells are usually caused by bacteria, in which case cabra1's suggestion of freezing the trainers should help.
  • angelavdavis
    Options
    Definitely the freezer - in the winter, you can also just leave them outside (in a plastic bag). Apparently the bacteria that causes the niff is killed off at a certain temperature.

Baking soda/Bi-carb also mentioned is v. good too.

If this still doesn't work, as a future plan, get the boys to use deodorant on their feet that contains aluminium which helps prevent fungal bacteria (they will say on the back of the can) and change their socks if necessary up to twice a day.

This helps prevent the problem but watch out in case one of them is allergic to the aluminium - its not common but it does happen so if they get overly itchy toes they may be allergic. Good luck!!!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • Mamabear
    Mamabear Posts: 227 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've had some success pouring a capful of vinegar in each trainer and leaving to dry overnight. :rotfl:

I thought if it all by myself. Somebody here had to :p
    Peek-a-boo
  • Shazmar_2
    Options
    Hi, not really a moneysaver query just wondered if anyone knows of a cheap cure for the kids smelly trainers. It seems they're forever in the wash. One pair you daren't let in the house even 2 days (son has a serious foot odour prob) after they were bought. Thanks for any ideas. :eek:
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    try sprinkling some bicarb in them, leave overnight then shake out

the bicarb absorbs the bad odours :p
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can pour cat litter into them and leave overnight. Remember to tip it out before they are worn again though.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family