PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Smelly trainers

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi brightonman,

I've added your tip to the main thread on smelly trainers so that others will be able to find it easily.

Pink
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I use cat litter - sprinkle into an old pair of socks and leave overnight in a plastic bag in the shed ( can't smell them in there !)
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • susannahs
    Options
    I have a pair of trainers without gel, mostly vinyl which had been used in wet boating activity (during rain and hail as well). The smell nearly knocked me over! I washed them in the washing machine on the sports setting with non bio detergent. This didn't solve the problem. I removed the inner soles, put them and the trainers back in a padded bag and put them back in the washing with bio detergent and Zoflora and the detergent dispenser. I wasn't sure if you can do this, but I have now checked the web and it says that the product can indeed be used in the wash for laundry and sports clothing. In anycase, this seems to have done the trick - and I know they have been disinfected.
  • bubbles567
    bubbles567 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I've heard that sprinkling bicarb in trainers will stop them from smelling?

Is this the case? How much do I use? Do I need to rinse them out afterwards?

thanks!
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bicarb will absorb odours but it might not stop them from smelling completely. It might be worth washing them first and using bicarb as a form of foot-powder after each wear.

You should use plenty of bicarb if you're not going to wash them and just give them a good shake after you've left them for 24 hours or so.
  • homerdog
    homerdog Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to put cat litter in the feet of a pair of old tights in my daughters trainers, her socks were pink after tho so choose carefully.
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I fabreeze mine between washings. Works well.

I did have to put a pair of DD's in the bin long before she outgrew them... they nearly walked out the door themselves!! Nothing would improve them, they were a weapon a mass destruction right there.
  • Blether
    Blether Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Been told that you can use mouthwash. Put it in a spray container and spray them liberally. Seems to have some anti bacterial ingredient. Never use as I tend to wear sandals.
  • Austin_Allegro
    Austin_Allegro Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good old vinegar in a spray bottle has worked for me. But the best way is to not wear the same pair of shoes every day, and keep trainers for sports only. They are lethal for foot odour if worn a lot as there's so much plastic and nylon in them. Shoes with leather upper and full leather lining are best. Also keep them on the windowsill at night with the window open to air them.

If foot odour is a problem it's worth checking if you have athlete's foot (look for small cracks and white patches between the toes. Sometimes it's barely visible and you only know you've got it because of the rank smell - I used to keep catching it at the swimming pool but now always wear daps and never let my feet come into contact with any surfaces.
    'Never keep up with Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper.' Quentin Crisp
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I use bicarbonate of soda in hubby's working boots, sprinkle it in about a couple if teaspoons in each, then leave as long as possible, and then I Hoover them out! Works really well on trainers too :-)
    Every days a School day!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport