PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Delicious WEETABIX cake!

Options

Comments

• sparklewing
    Options
    I want to make the weetabix cake

2 Weetabix
    113g (4oz) Sultanas
    142ml (5fl oz) Skimmed milk
    142ml (5fl oz) Water
    113g (4oz) Self-raising flour
    1 Teaspoon of Mixed Spice
    14g (½oz) Artificial sweetener
    1 Egg (beaten)

I have a carton of apple juice that needs used up, I was thinking of swapping the water for apple juice would that work or would it go a bit funky with the milk? Or I could swap the milk for apple juice but wasn't sure if that would stop the cake cooking properly.

Help? Please :)
  • sparklewing
    Options
    Hmm well I hope it works because I've just put it in the oven with all apple juice instead of the liquids in the recipe. Fingers crossed.

Put in a batch of apple, banana & cinnamon muffins too so I'll have something tasty to eat even if the weetabix cake goes wrong.
  • shirlgirl2004
    Options
    Sounds interesting. Did you skip the artificial sweetner then? Let us know how it turns out.
  • sparklewing
    Options
    Yeah skipped the sweetner too because I am hoping the apple juice will be sweet enough. I've had a peek and it seems to be working. Mind you nothing cooks properly in my oven anyway so who knows. I need a new oven.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Don;t see why apple juice shouldn't work ;) I'll add this to the existing weetabix cake recipe to keep ideas together.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Sazzy1966
    Options
    I was given this recipe by a friend although slightly different, I've also done a few changes myself. Everyone who has tried it loves and now has the recipe.
    It's a great simple recipe for someone like me who doesn't cook much.

Have a go with this version hope you like it.

Weetabix Cake.

4 weetabix
    8oz Self Raising Flour
    1oz Sugar
    1 ½ Teaspoon Mixed Spice
    3 Teaspoons Cinnamon
    6oz Sultana’s or Dried Mixed Fruit (Sainsbury's do a great one with cherries in.)
    1 Teaspoon of glace ginger chopped finely ( gives it a lovely warmth Sainsbury's again)
    ½ Pint Skimmed Milk
    1 medium sized apple peeled and grated into mixture.

Crush weetabix and combine with the other dry ingredients and apple. Mix in the milk.
    Cook at 170C (fan oven) for 45 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
  • Sazzy1966
    Options
    I was given this recipe by a friend although slightly different, I've also done a few changes myself. Everyone who has tried it loves and now has the recipe.
    It's a great simple recipe for someone like me who doesn't cook much.

Have a go with this version hope you like it.

If you have any left next day pop a slice in the toaster and it crisps up lovely again, then lightly butter yummy.
    Weetabix Cake.

4 weetabix
    8oz Self Raising Flour
    1oz Sugar
    1 ½ Teaspoon Mixed Spice
    3 Teaspoons Cinnamon
    6oz Sultana’s or Dried Mixed Fruit (Sainsbury's do a great one with cherries in.)
    1 Teaspoon of glace ginger chopped finely ( gives it a lovely warmth Sainsbury's again)
    ½ Pint Skimmed Milk
    1 medium sized apple peeled and grated into mixture.

Crush weetabix and combine with the other dry ingredients and apple. Mix in the milk.
    Cook at 170C (fan oven) for 45 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.

• shjo558
    shjo558 Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've aquired 2 large boxes of weetabix and fancy making the cake in the post above. Can anyone tell me how many grams in an oz please as I don't really understand oz's:rolleyes:!

Also, I'm not a fan of Cinnamon so can I just add an extra tiny bit of flour instead?

Thanks
  • Lynn11
    Lynn11 Posts: 674 Forumite
    Options
    We tried the original receipe on page 1 yesterday with daughter and it was simple to follow and turned out good (me and hubbie like it but not our daughter).

I have also tried the weetabix brownies a few weeks ago which were good as well. Really chocolately.
    MFIT T2 Challenge - No 46
    Overpayments 2006-2009 = £11985; 2010 = £6170, 2011 = £5570, 2012 = £1290
  • purplestar87
    Options
    hey i made this for the first time this morning to take to a wee xmas lunch and it went down a treat :D great recipe

now onto the weetabix brownies....lol :P
    money cant buy you love....why cant i have both???
    currently watching my weight go down....59.5 lbs so far :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport