PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Delicious WEETABIX cake!

Options

Comments

• daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 October 2009 at 2:16PM
    Options
    Yep, julie_d, that's the final recipe I fixed on after lots of experimentation, originally it had 6oz sugar which was way too sweet for us, but it does need a little bit. Should be SR flour, 6oz of fruit not 60z and ground spices. If you use an own-brand instead of weetabix you'll find that they are often slightly smaller so you might need a bit less milk. Link here
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • daska
    edited 5 October 2009 at 2:13PM
    Options
    no coriander!!

i use this recipe from the GC thread:

2 crushed Weetabix
    1 cup of sultanas
    2 cups of Self raising flour
    1 cup of sugar
    Mix these dry ingredients together, then add
    1 cup of milk and a teaspoon of mixed spice
    Stir again and pour the mix into a greased loaf tin, bake at 325 degrees for about 45 mins.
    Its wonderful slightly warm and always with butter/spread.

hth

ioiwe x

why no coriander, it gives a lovely rounded taste, slightly orangey?

(unless you're thinking of coriander leaf? no, that would be horrible, I'd definitely leave that out!)
    48 down, 22 to go
  • Mrs_Thrify
    Mrs_Thrify Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    edited 5 October 2009 at 4:23PM
    Options
    daska wrote: »
    Yep, julie_d, that's the final recipe I fixed on after lots of experimentation, originally it had 6oz sugar which was way too sweet for us, but it does need a little bit. Should be SR flour, 6oz of fruit not 60z and ground spices. If you use an own-brand instead of weetabix you'll find that they are often slightly smaller so you might need a bit less milk. Link here

Thanks Daska, I have baked 2 x loaf tin cakes and they are cooling down on the wire rack. Will try the taste test and report back.

Sitting down with coffee & cake. The cake is light brown in colour. with raisons and cherries in.It is quite a heavy, filling cake.
    The cake tastes delicious and I would have a 2nd slice but have to eat the dinner I cooked in a few hours.
    This would be a good cake for picnics or packed lunches.
    I cut the first loaf tin cake into 10 equil slices (to stop the knife slipping).
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind?
    Spring begins on 21st March.
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Love the weetabix cake, so easy. My lot thought it tasted like crunchy malt loaf. I used the cheapest weetabix that have been hanging around cos no one liked them and added a little orange extract too. many thanks will definately be making more.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • daska
    Options
    I ought to point out that the idea for weetabix cake is not mine but the original recipe I saw had less milk and fruit, loads of sugar and no spice. This is what worked for me though.
    48 down, 22 to go
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    As this has fallen from the front page of OS, I'll add it to the existing thread to keep recipe ideas together ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • skipkoo
    skipkoo Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this recipe back to my attention again, I loved it when last made it, going to have to do it again later on.
    S x
  • keletubbie
    keletubbie Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Right, made this last night!

Subbed in Oatibix Minis as that's what we had in the cupboard, swapped sugar for bananas and a tablespoon of sugar, needed a little more milk...

But in the end, it produced a lovely loaf cake that my toddler loves and is actually pretty good for her. Will definitely make again... as this one is disappearing...
    Best wins: Luxury weekend in Russia, family holiday to France, catered BBQ for 20, Selfridges shopping spree, jolly to Majorca, £1,000 See Tickets vouchers, £500 John Lewis vouchers, five-star weekend in Provence!
  • vernall
    vernall Posts: 556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gonna try this later this afternoon,just one question - what is everyones definition of 'cup' my cups maybe bigger than someone elses or is it going to be that little of a difference it will not matter? or is there a more precise measurement?
  • yummyhoney
    yummyhoney Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    i want to try this cake but ony realised i have no sr flour,,i have strong white,,or plain flour,,can i use any of these??
    Dont cry because it's over,
    Smile because it happened.

sealed pot challenge 3 #865
    Jan NSD 10/10:j Jan groc. challenge €169.18/€400
    Dec NSD ??/10 Dec.grocery challenge €230/€400:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts