Standard Life Shares

Options

Comments

• gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The share price closed at 361p on Friday - I think this is a a new high (though it did reach 362p during the day).

Regards
    Sunil
  • stulaunch
    stulaunch Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just looked £371.50

Not sure wether to take the money and run, only shares i have, about 1000 and dont want to see them dive again.

Any thought? Wouldn't know where to put money either!
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You could sell half and put it into a ftse tracker. That would reduce risk of news to this particular company or sector and the dividends tend to be fairly high for FTSE still if needed for the income.

Personally I prefer more advantageous routes then holding plain ftse100. The allshare or FT250 even (which dont have sl in there) are others still uk quoted.

I found asia pacfic tracker to be best but many consider that risky, I dont

I was thinking of buying RBS to get a share of DLG 66% they still own (and will be selling)
    Different kind of insurance but still rubbing shoulders, again RBS would be in FT100 tracker with others
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Special dividend more or less doubling their yield for the year and 65% increase in profits, now we know why they are trading at £3.70+.
    Full year results: Edinburgh headquartered insurance company Standard Life unveiled a significant 65% rise in operating profits, driven by strong growth in its core home market, and continuing growth at Standard Life Investments. "Standard Life has delivered a substantial increase in profitability and has a strong capital position supporting increased dividends to our shareholders," CEO David Nish said in the statement. For 2012, the group reported good progress in each of its businesses had been made, reflecting ongoing customer demand for its savings products. With an emphasis on reducing costs, in what remains a challenging economic environment, Standard Life said it had been able to increase its operating leverage within the business and in turn drive a significant improvement in profitability. Elsewhere, Standard Life Investments' reach and scale was reported as increasingly global, while the group's Canadian business is performing well under a new management team. In Asia, Standard Life is building businesses in its chosen markets and opening branches in Singapore and Dubai. On balance, market consensus opinion currently indicates a hold.
    http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/s/standard-life-plc-ordinary-10p?tab=security_research
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • gt94sss2
    Options
    381.1p Ho Hum..

Regards
    Sunil
  • stulaunch
    stulaunch Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-21700984

Standard Life is to pay out more than £300m to
    shareholders after posting a larger-than-expected annual profit.

Shareholders will benefit from a £302m windfall after the Edinburgh-based
    business reported £286m in UK pre-tax operating profits, up from £156m.

Overall, the group made an operating profit of £900m, up from £544, the
    previous year.

It also announced it will pay a special dividend of 12.8p per share, on top
    of a regular payout of 14.7p.

Am i right in thinking then that we'll get 27.5p per share on the first dividend payment this year?
  • Old_Slaphead
    Old_Slaphead Posts: 2,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 March 2013 at 9:44PM
    Options
    stulaunch wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-21700984

Am i right in thinking then that we'll get 27.5p per share on the first dividend payment this year?

No it'll be 12.8p + 9.8p = 22.6p.

Some of this year's divi has already been paid as an interim
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    P/E 12.78

Google said 20 PE a week ago I think. So this reflects the better results I guess

I will just buy them on the next stock market crash, 1987 can always repeat :p
    240 buy
    In Asia, Standard Life is building businesses in its chosen markets and opening branches in Singapore and Dubai
    I never thought they were building much in asia or I might be more optimistic

Canada yes, I thought our rubbish Sterling would benefit results. Seems its not moved much so thats not it
    Hbg2NLK.png
  • gt94sss2
    Options
    Strong Q1 results announced today.

New Business Sales up 24% and a good increase in net flows and assets under management.

Interesting things happening to the share price - up more than 8.5% to 382.5p atm
    David Nish, Standard Life's chief executive, said:

"Standard Life has made a strong start to 2013, growing sales, net flows and assets. Standard Life Investments reinforced its position as a leading asset manager, delivering a very strong first quarter. This included reaching a record level of third party assets, which now represent over 50% of total AUM, a more diversified asset mix and increased geographic reach."
    "Our UK business had a good start to the year, and while the industry continues to see disruption as a result of the introduction of RDR, we have made a smooth transition to operating under the new regulatory environment with encouraging early indicators from both our corporate and retail customers and their advisers."
    We remain confident that our business is well positioned for further strong and sustainable growth."
    Regards
    Sunil
  • gt94sss2
    Options
    I can't read the article but gather Standard Life has been tipped by Tempus in The Times today.

Share price now over 391p (almost reached 395 earlier today).

Regards
    Sunil
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family