Options

Comments

• Old_Slaphead
    Old_Slaphead Posts: 2,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 August 2012 at 3:50PM
    Options
    StevieJ wrote: »
    £2.54p time for you to topple over (or sell) :)

I'm getting nosebleeds up here (currently 257p and 6% divs)
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm getting nosebleeds up here (and 6% divs)

Ha Ha! I still regret not selling these when they were first allocated. I've only got 700 odd shares (only shares I've got with anyone) and keep wondering whether to ditch them when they reach a decent value again (ie probably won't get any better than this for a long time), but, like you say 6% is a lot better than any basic savings account now.
  • Old_Slaphead
    Options
    North of 270p this morning on halfyear results
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    Options
    Wot! no STT, he must have finally keeled over :)
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    Well Ive just about shot myself by not having any of these at all. Too busy speculating to stick with old faithful.
    Decent volume and the graph since December makes price look well supported

270 was the peak just after I sold for 240 at 2008 xmas before rebuying later. That longer term view I think will mean SL has to test and hold above 240 successfully as a low point before it can start to seriously gain more.
    I didnt see the good news though, growth from Canada? Also depends on this market which is very positive now
  • Old_Slaphead
    Options
    Also depends on this market which is very positive now

Why - suckers rally, something more fundamental or because returns are virtually non existant elsewhere ?

And is there much upside left ???
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    Weak returns elsewhere. SL is pretty high yield, they just have to be a solid prospect and people will hold the shares. If they hold and not enough people sell then the price rises.

Div is up 6.5% ? Regular rises like that make it popular with all those pension fund managers I think. Canada growth was weak apparently, Im a bit wary of SL finding growth in countries which are not growing like UK
  • Old_Slaphead
    Options
    My comment was aimed at market in general rather than SL in particular.
    So much bad news around (and likely to continue) the current rally seems perverse (also given that a number of fund managers are claiming to find it difficult locating any value)
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 9 October 2012 at 2:12PM
    Options
    So much bad news around (and likely to continue) the current rally seems perverse
    People have been saying that for a while and its not wrong exactly but holding cash or incredibly over valued bonds is a bad idea.

Growth is coming from inflation I guess, value is dropping. Look at the market vs gold and we have been dropping for 3 years now which matches the negative view however when plain cash falls faster then company revenue especially international companies, share prices rises and its justified. It'll continue I think

A big thing for SL now is that everyone will be 'forced' to have a pension by default. Its a game changer, see if they can prosper or not
  • mobby-2554
    mobby-2554 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Options
    I have shares I want to sell.
    Could you tell me if they are a good price now and what is the best way to do it?
    Not looked before.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport