Standard Life Shares

Options

Comments

• sabretoothtigger
    Options
    EPS 13 and PE of 23 ? What is their prospective, I guess that would be holding it this high

I would say stoploss 297.77 and target 320 presuming you have a better source of dividends. The real question is what will you buy with the money

BP and VOD probably relatively cheap. Similar kind of risk reward maybe, BP is a bit more risk more growth possible

Guesses based on chart, range 293 to 315 on daily outlook, a regular rise since May. Support 282
  • Happychappy
    Happychappy Posts: 2,936 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 November 2012 at 10:18AM
    Options
    EPS 13 and PE of 23 ? What is their prospective, I guess that would be holding it this high

I would say stoploss 297.77 and target 320 presuming you have a better source of dividends. The real question is what will you buy with the money

BP and VOD probably relatively cheap. Similar kind of risk reward maybe, BP is a bit more risk more growth possible

Guesses based on chart, range 293 to 315 on daily outlook, a regular rise since May. Support 282

You make a good point, current easy access under 3%, plus really don't need the money, and the dividend is very good, so swaying to keep them, I have been in for the long haul, plus I only have 1600 shares, but then I said that with Marconi -£11k, Avis -£3k and many years of buy as you earn, and free shares with Tesco who were looking good at over £4 a share until the slump, or whatever you wish to call it, but it still hurt with over 8000 shares.

So really not a good track record :o how does SL stack up against the sector with the PE of 23?
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    Well I was thinking Direct Line. They will pay out quite nicely apparently, its not the same kind of insurance but basically managing large amount of cash so its similar. I think Pru or anyone big in Asia would interest me most but sl is familiar

Tesco pays fine and they can keep doing so. Cant be too surprised on lower price, its retail and this is a recession. They should scrap that usa branch and that might prove a low point as long as asia provides a balance to uk retraction

The other companies I dont know, Marconi was just a mess and aimless egotistical mismanagement which should be assumed to be the norm. Tesco has switched CEO so its a worry when or if a company loses its direction, possibly

Generally take profits often, diversify if you arent. I saw the commission charges are quite reasonable now, so seems feasible to not deal the entire lot in one go
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thats definitely a breakout seems to me, should have paused for breath a while ago

304 and 318 are topside targets I usually sell these things too early even if I had owned I'd have taken profits by now, the share itself is not excessively strong nor is it secretly weak - volume seems decent

Hold 283 and I'm officially impressed because I thought a shakeout to 240 was quite likely

Well! we have £3.18 now.
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • Happychappy
    Options
    Pleased I didn't sell, but hope not to be disappointed,sure you never get that feeling buying shares ; ) keep going SL........please
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    340p wow thats great performance, I hope earnings now confirms that all

I was just looking at report on Vodafone at new low and checked this for the potential arbitrage between the two. I thought it might have taken a little breather but nope

http://i.imgur.com/rMySM.gif

If I had thought at 170p they would double I'd have bought them, ah well. every dog has its day :p
  • epninety
    epninety Posts: 563 Forumite
    Options
    I could have told you all they were heading higher... I bailed at 320p :o

Needed the cash for house purchase though, so no complaints and for once I jumped out on the 'up' side of the curve!
  • Happychappy
    Options
    I wavered a couple of weeks ago, but held on,now wavering, but as Sabretooth pointed out, what to do with the money, only a few sharesheld, possibly 1500 and good yearly dividends

nothing paying any decent interest around, just moved the last ten years. of cash Isas on maturity from one paying 5% over five years and now fixed at 2.62% over two years?
  • Happychappy
    Options
    Sabretooth, any views now on where SL might go ? I am still holding with a view that the new pensions ruling of pensions for all might boost SL's customer base?
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 28 December 2012 at 10:08PM
    Options
    Well your anticipation is in the share price. When it doubles like this its for a reason, so that is already done.

Will it live upto it is the dilemena now, the chances of it proving even bigger benefit is usually unlikely

Buy the rumor, sell the news. stock dealing genius in a sentence, almost always the market over sells and over buys

Its not looking obviously overblown, depends if you have elsewhere to put it. Im not a fan of holding plain cash beyond paying bills

If it goes ex div 21st march, a little gamble might be to sell then buy back before then. Thats what I did in 2008 xmas, I didnt get the top price but it certainly went lower

SL has become weaker over the last two weeks

P5Pcp.gif

Was reading about the 'death of equities' How the majority favour bonds, this was also a headline in 1979
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-impact-ordinary-folks-losing-faith-stocks
    http://www.businessweek.com/stories/1979-08-13/the-death-of-equitiesbusinessweek-business-news-stock-market-and-financial-advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure