We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

ASHP's and the maze of info

Options

Comments

• richardc1983
    Options
    The rule of thumb is go for the largest you can afford.... this means the pump will not be working flat out all the time and you will have plenty of breathing space should we have extreme cold weather like were experiencing at the moment.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Options
    The rule of thumb is go for the largest you can afford.... this means the pump will not be working flat out all the time and you will have plenty of breathing space should we have extreme cold weather like were experiencing at the moment.

Absolutely top advice Richard. I have already held my hands up and admitted my 5KW Trianco has been on it's knees - well, several times in this cold spell. It's still working, just hasn't coped well at times. When (If!) it ever breaks I'll be fitting a bigger unit next time.

I never really allowed for this sort of cold, because we've gone over a decade without any sort of severe cold weather, then twice in the same year...typical eh?
  • richardc1983
    Options
    Yeh it is typical... the thing is the colder it gets the more defrost cycles you have which means more time running without heating.

my system is coping fine... defrost cycle at 4am this morning lasted nearlly 10minutes but the house temp was kept at 22.5 and then went back upto 23C.

I think you get more leeway with air to air systems as you are using forced air as your heating medium so its easier to warm up.
  • thechippy
    thechippy Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    Options
    Yeh it is typical... the thing is the colder it gets the more defrost cycles you have which means more time running without heating.

my system is coping fine... defrost cycle at 4am this morning lasted nearlly 10minutes but the house temp was kept at 22.5 and then went back upto 23C.

I think you get more leeway with air to air systems as you are using forced air as your heating medium so its easier to warm up.

I agree about the air to air systems, the best form of space heating by far, but without gas, it always leaves the problem of hot water! Personally I feel they are best if you can have an ahu in each room / area, as I agree with Cardew that it is not always practical to leave doors open for air circulation.

The main problem, as previously stated, is undersizing. An overpowered system is not a bad thing, but if the heat load calcs are carried out correctly in the first instance, it should not be necessary.

IMHO, the best setup would be air to air for heating and an on demand gas boiler for water.
    Happiness, is a Kebab called Doner.....:heart2::heart2:
  • richardc1983
    Options
    I have a unit in every room, apart from the hallway but there is no central heating radiator in their anyway, I leave the doors open as I like the air to circulate into the hallway.

If when designing the system you take into account the worst case scenario and by that I mean the lowest temperature you are going to be running the system at.

So if thats -5C then majority of the year it will be oversized anyway.

So as I say most engineers dont take that into account the worst case scenario and size it up to 5C outside temp. So if they do that just buy the next model up or largest you can afford.

Mind you if you can get gas it is probably cheaper to use gas for the heating also due to cost of electric.
  • thechippy
    Options
    No way is gas central heating cheaper to run than an air to air heat pump........:p;)
  • richardc1983
    Options
    Are you sure... im sure that a unit of electricity is a lot more expensive than a unit of gas?

Hence why you can burn more gas and its still cheaper than electric...
  • thechippy
    Options
    True, but it's down to the cop of the systems and the efficient way they move the air around. Forced air is always going to be more efficient than convection...
  • richardc1983
    Options
    That is true, I was just referring to the cost of gas vs electricity in this country.

Gas is more expensive than electric in America why a lot of people use Heat pumps over there.
  • thechippy
    Options
    That is true, I was just referring to the cost of gas vs electricity in this country.

Gas is more expensive than electric in America why a lot of people use Heat pumps over there.

Cos you automatically get a/c in the same system. Simples.......;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family