Consumer Rights Mini-Guide Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    Contact them first
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • tomloaf
    tomloaf Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I am in the process of commissioning a bit of jewelry for my girlfriend. I email a jeweler we talked about the design and he emailed me a quote (just in the email as in "that will cost £500" I asked about some other possible changes and he said "oh that will reduce it by £100".
    I have paid the deposit in person and now am just going to pick it up next week. When I asked him to confirm the final balance he said it was a lot more then the original quote approximate 27% more on a £500 is item. I have pointed out the email to him and he still stand by the new price. What rights do i have as i have paid a substantial deposit.

Please help

I don’t want to be charged about £150 more than I was originally quoted
    Thanks
    Tom
  • Slim
    Slim Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    If an item is replaced because of faults should the replacement have a twelve month guarantee starting from the date of the original purchase or the date of providing the replacement? Is there any law on this?
    Thanks
  • bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    Options
    Slim wrote: »
    If an item is replaced because of faults should the replacement have a twelve month guarantee starting from the date of the original purchase or the date of providing the replacement? Is there any law on this?
    Thanks

No. The Limitations Act 1980 stipulates that the time bar for civil action in the UK is 6 years (for consumer legislation anyway).

What this means is that you have your rights under SoGA for up to 6 years from purchase. Any repairs or replacements in that period are simply a continuation of your original contract, not a renewal.
  • bronzeharness1
    Options
    Hi people,

Have been reading this thread with interest. Can someone advise me with a problem i have? I bought a digital TV from Currys about 2 and half years ago, on a 1 year guarantee. Some minor faults have developed recently (HDMI port, and remote control no longer work). This is not through my mistreatment!

As its under 6 years ago,can i require the retailer to investigate the fault? Do i have to prove it doesn't work? Also if i don't have the original packaging does this matter (i have the receipt)?

Thanks
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 June 2010 at 11:31AM
    Options
    Hi people,

Have been reading this thread with interest. Can someone advise me with a problem i have? I bought a digital TV from Currys about 2 and half years ago, on a 1 year guarantee. Some minor faults have developed recently (HDMI port, and remote control no longer work). This is not through my mistreatment!

As its under 6 years ago,can i require the retailer to investigate the fault? Do i have to prove it doesn't work? Also if i don't have the original packaging does this matter (i have the receipt)?

Thanks

Place this on the Consumer Rights thread, which is a sticky at the top of the page, you will receive more response there.

You can go back to the retailer under SoGA, but you will need an engineers report,(refundable from the retailer if in your favour), to prove an inherent fault, unless the retailer gives in right away, but as it is Currys, you will have a fight on your hands.

Packaging is irrelevant.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• TrippingOwl
    Options
    I bought a hat in a shop in Camden, have the receipt, and the hat is in perfect condition. As I bought it for a friend, I knew it might not be the right size, so I checked with the sales person to make sure I could return it for a new one, who said yes. At the same time, I used a coupon for that shop offering me 20% off. There were no conditions written on that coupon restricting the products I could buy with it: it was a general 20% off.

This shops was part of several shops owned by the same person. I went back to one of his other shops and showed him the hat, the receipt, and asked if I could have a replacement. He was extremely snotty with me and said only if it was in PERFECT condition (which it is). Then I told him the price I'd paid for it and he said that I shouldn't have had a discount on it because the coupon wasn't valid for hats. He said that I would, if ordering another hat in a different size, have to pay the full price. I was a little annoyed by this: I used a coupon and didn't expect an extra charge for the right size. His tone was quite rude and I said that I'd bought the item in good faith, that it wasn't really my problem that the shop assistant had made a mistake and that he should honour the agreement, whereupon the owner told me that there was a no-returns policy, that I'd been snotty with him, and that I should go away!! (He also made little shooing motions with his hands in the direction of the door.) I couldn't believe it. Now I can't even get a refund - which I'd rather do at this stage, and buy the hat somewhere else.

Now, is he required to a) change the item, considering that his employee told me that I could and b) is he required to do so at the discounted price I paid for it?

I have a receipt which shows the amount I paid for it. (£32 rather than £40.)

I've spent far too much time already trying to talk to his employees, who are nice but a bit hopeless, and I have a hat that doesn't fit. What shall I do? It's now a matter of principle: I don't really feel like giving this person the extra £8.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    well you have no rights to a refund
    the voucher one is tricky
    as it stands you have a credit for £32 and i dont know if you have any right for the voucher to be reused
    the retailer doesn't actually have to offer an exchange so you could be on thin ice
  • Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    jeweler: he gave you a written quote. quotes are final prices.
    it could only go up if you were given a written estimate, which you agreed to.
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • TrippingOwl
    Options
    The fact is that the retailer - or in this case one of his representatives - did assure me of an exchange and made no mention of the fact that I might have to pay extra.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure