Consumer Rights Mini-Guide Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The fact is that the retailer - or in this case one of his representatives - did assure me of an exchange and made no mention of the fact that I might have to pay extra.

well i see you have no interest in what im saying
    so im out
  • TrippingOwl
    Options
    I did read what you said; I just meant that perhaps a verbal assurance by one of the official "representatives" of the shop may be binding? I don't know much about these things.
  • little_miss_muffet
    Options
    Hi can anyone give me some advice about getting my deposit back for a wedding dress. I felt kind of pressured into it by the girl at berketex as she told me i only had an hour to make up my mind about this dress(it was my first day wedding dress shopping!) as the special offer was ending in 1 hr, so I stupidly signed up to a monthly payment plan(cancelled this at my bank, so not worried about this) and paid a £140 deposit. I had changed my mind the next day , it was a sunday so the shop was closed. I went up there on Monday morn to tell them i wanted to cancel the dress but it was shut, so phoned up on the tues and explained everything, the lady told me to come in to shop, when i got there they said "oh we dont deal with anything like that here", so I had to write to them. Its been a few months and Ive heard absolutely nothing from them. I keep phoning but they cant seem to tell me if Il get deposit back or not, but did say "oh we might need some more money from you to confirm your cancellation"! Can someone please help?:(
  • leecpfc
    leecpfc Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone help with this question.

A store has its returns policy written at its tills,

"If you change your mind we are happy to offer you an exchange or credit note as long as you return the goods to the store within 28 days in original packaging with proof of purchase"

then mentions under certain circumstances (faulty items) will be refunded in accordance with statutory rights etc etc

However what if the customer is dyslexic and unable to read the policy or even a blind person or person with reduced vision? Where does the law sit with these people? Obviously the store staff should notice a blind customer and possibly tell the cutomer of the policy before completing the transaction, however how are the staff supposed to know when a customer is dyslexic?

I ask as I work in a store and had this happen to me this week, a gentleman demanded a refund as he was dyslexic and couldn't read the policy however I didn't know where to go with it as I've never come across it before?
  • Bluebelle72
    Options
    I have recently purchased a new sat nav from dealtastic, a Motorola TN500, it stated that we could get free map updates and other stuff ie/ traffic updates and weather etc for the first 60 days, however when my husband attempted to do this we find that the sat nav has been discontinued and can't get any updates from the motorola website! We can't even register it! I have emailed dealtastic and informed them of this, and this is the reply I got.......

Thank you for your email. However, as there is no issues with the product itself, ie~: a fault or damage, then we cannot accept a return, however, I do recommend that you contact the creator of this product to request advice as in this case, there is nothing we can do , I'm afraid.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.

Have a nice day.

Kind regards,

Dealtastic Customer Services Team

Please could anyone tell me what I can do? Am I entitled to return it?

Thanks for any advice offered.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can request to cancel the order within 7 working days from receiving the order under DSRs...... when did you receive it?

Possibly also a case under sales of goods act 'not as described'.... again depending on how long you have had it..
  • Bluebelle72
    Options
    I'm afraid it's been longer than 7 days, it was a gift for my husband. Do I not have a leg to stand on now? :o
  • Equaliser123
    Options
    I'm afraid it's been longer than 7 days, it was a gift for my husband. Do I not have a leg to stand on now? :o

Yes. If it was advertised as having a certain feature and doesn't actually have it then it is not as described. Alternatively, they have misrepresented it and so you are entitled to a refund.
  • Jackd_2
    Options
    An article in today's Daily Mail, which reminds us what might happen when buying goods off such sites. Well worth a read.

It appears you might not get your money back when using your credit card, even though you might think that the credit card company will pay you when the item you bought fails to turn up or goes wrong.

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act only works if there is direct relationship between the consumer, lender and retailer.

The article says 'that the act only works if there is a direct relationship between the consumer,lender and retailer'.

And continues to say 'that means anyone who uses their credit card to buy via Amazon Marketplace or similar sites is not protected by the act'.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jackd wrote: »
    An article in today's Daily Mail, which reminds us what might happen when buying goods off such sites. Well worth a read.

It appears you might not get your money back when using your credit card, even though you might think that the credit card company will pay you when the item you bought fails to turn up or goes wrong.

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act only works if there is direct relationship between the consumer, lender and retailer.

The article says 'that the act only works if there is a direct relationship between the consumer,lender and retailer'.

And continues to say 'that means anyone who uses their credit card to buy via Amazon Marketplace or similar sites is not protected by the act'.
    And that is exactly what MSE's Section 75 Refunds article says.
    Just an extract...
    You're unlikely to be covered when payments are made to a company that isn't the one providing you with the product or service. In these cases, the credit card company usually says it didn't have a direct relationship with the supplier, so isn't equally liable.
    It is good that the Daily Mail has reminded us of this though.

By the way... this thread is here specifically for discussion of MSE's Consumer Rights Mini Guide... as mentioned in the original post...
    MSE_Alana wrote: »

This thread is specifically to discuss the
    If you want to discuss this mini-guide please click reply.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure