PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

carpet cleaning

Options

Comments

• lindseykim13
    lindseykim13 Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    Options
    Hi i got rid of our vax as it never cleaned properly. I now every 6mths or so spray vanish or similar on obvious stains and leave to soak for 30mins or so then get a bowl of soapy hot water (just basic washing up liquid) and a dishcloth and spend the whole evening working my way across the entire carpet whilst watching the tv lol
    It is hard work but i find this method works better than any cleaner i have tried in the past.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi :)

We have a number of threads about cleaning specific stains from carpets:- carpet threads here on Old Style MoneySaving

And the general "carpet cleaning" one is:- carpet cleaning
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • xxlouisexx56
    Options
    Hello there.

In April we had our second daughter. We didnt have to buy much baby stuff so decided to get a new carpet for the living room for when she was crawling.

My poor baby girl has suffered with constipation, colic and reflux. And at 8 months old is on medication but still brings up milk and solid foods.

My carpet is ruined. What can i do to make it look better? Does anything actually work?
  • SpikyHedgehog
    Options
    I've got a carpet cleaner and it does do a wonderful job on the carpets, though it was of course not a cheap option to buy!

What have you tried cleaning it with so far?

When DS2 was a baby, daddy managed to knock a (new) bottle of Calpol onto the carpet, and that was before we had the carpet cleaner, so I used 1001 solution. Didn't do a bad job, but everytime there was a spill on the carpet or toilet training DS wet it, the cloths came up with a pink tinge...
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #37 - waterproof wearing cage customiser, chief of cable ties and duct tape

It's me, DS1 (24), DS2 (16), and the lurcher.
  • lolly_896
    lolly_896 Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    Options
    How about a Rug Doctor - decent reviews online x
    DFW Nerd #awaiting number - Proud to be dealing with my debts!

Dont cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Sealed Pot Challenge #781
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    try OS ways or if its too much work - get the carpet professionally cleaned!
  • xxlouisexx56
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

Meritaten - trying to save as much money as possible and getting the carpet professionally cleaned is the last (and expensive) resort
  • keelyjrs
    keelyjrs Posts: 547 Forumite
    edited 20 December 2011 at 1:35PM
    Options
    We usually use all the indexed tips, but yesterday my lovely hubby hired a rug doctor and we have our beige carpet back lol. The dirt and grime that c\ame out of it was disgusting, to think we have walked on that with our bare feet is yukky lol

We now have no shoes rule in the front room and will use oldstyle tips to keep it nice and spot clean as needed. Good old bicarb keeps it fresh

ps rug doctor from homebase was £21.99 for 24 hours (plus £50 deposit)
    Keely
  • nadmaj
    nadmaj Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    hello

I've got black dirt spots on my carpet and I just can't shift them- I've tried using my carpet cleaner with vanish , 10001, washing up liquid with a brush on my hands and knees but they don't shift - any solution and ideas would be great please, its a cream carpet

ps I've got a vax rapide with powertools carpet cleaner and wanted to try the bissel proheat that was advertised recently - has anyone got experience of it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure