PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

carpet cleaning

Options

Comments

• carolinejane_2
    Options
    all_change wrote: »
    Have you looked at your shoes/socks/feet to see if you can identify it from there?

usually only go upstairs in bare feet and had a shower this morning before I noticed the marks on the stairs:(
  • iwannanicerlife
    Options
    Help! My husband has managed to sit on an after eight mint on our light beige carpet. Has anybody please got any ideas how I remove it? The chocolate is bad enough but the minty part is like glue!:(
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Help! My husband has managed to sit on an after eight mint on our light beige carpet. Has anybody please got any ideas how I remove it? The chocolate is bad enough but the minty part is like glue!:(
    :)I'm devastated, that was a delicious chocolate and it died in vain :( I'm wondering if freezing the minty gloop (park a freezer pack on it a while?) might make the gloop brittle and pick-out-able. It works for chewing gum, anyway. Have no idea how to resolve this as it's sort of a once-in-a-lifetime prob, but if you find a good way, I hope you'll share.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    It's sugar fondant so should soften with heat.

Try a cool iron over layers of paper towel, as you would for candle wax.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • debbym
    debbym Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    The only thing I can suggest is scrubbing it with lots of soapy water, blotting the water up with a towel every so often. The sugar fondant should dissolve in the water (eventually). If you find it is still stained (because of the chocolate)Star Drops gets practially all kinds of stains out - even permanent (CD) marker pen on a (brand new) pale green carpet curtesy of my then 3 yo. If it is a nylon carpet I would be a little shy of putting heat anywhere near it but that's just me :)
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ive merged this with our carpet cleaning thread which has som great advice in removing stuborn stains :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• markbrown
    Options
    You may have to use a scraping tool like a spatula or a hard brush to remove stain from carpet.
  • davehills
    Options
    The problem with most of these cleaning techniques is that chemical residue will be left in the carpet.

As this is very slightly 'sticky' it means the carpet will re-soil rapidly. Even worse are products like '1001' which leave soap in the carpet.

Far better to use an 'EXTRACTION' cleaner, which, as the name implies, extracts almost all of the residue from the carpet, meaning it'll stay cleaner, for longer.

A professional operator with a professional grade machine would be best but basic extraction machines are available to hire. Club together with your friends and hire for a weekend.
  • davehills
    Options
    PS: I own a carpet cleaning company...

Thought: Would anyone be interested in a Carpet Cleaning FAQ?
  • polka_purpura
    Options
    hi

I'm decorating a room and have a carpet that needs cleaning.

the areas that were underneath furniture are as new as for the rest of it...the pike is flattened and just hideous looking.

Any ideas what will lift a tea stain?

How about discolouring ? or fluffing up the pile again?

I'm not shy using a scrubbing brush or soda but I am a bit shy about using cash for a new carpet.

polka purpura
    PAD to date: £1166-22

Pay off as much as you can #127: £4,600 (£2,300 debt / £2,300 saved)in 2011.£660 / £4,600.(debt paid 28.7%; target 14.3%).

Sealed pot challenge 1292: £0 (target £600 by 31-12-11)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure