PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

carpet cleaning

Options

Comments

• Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought a Vax shampooer for about £60, it's really good and lifts the dirt easily. Best to do it at night so it has a few hours to dry out, though it doesn't overly wet it.
  • madnessandmayhem
    Options
    The rug doctor is brilliant-where i work, I can hire it for free and i would rcommend it-i would even pay for it if i didn't get it for free!!! Where i work it costs £19.99 for 24 hours and £24.99 for 48 hours, then you just buy the cleaning fluid-i bought the bottle that cost about £8 and i've done my downstairs carpets twice with it, and i think i've prob got 2 more goes with it! I would deffo give it a go
  • bluetimone97
    bluetimone97 Posts: 862 Forumite
    Options
    Another vote for the rug doctor here, you can hire them from homebase stores or dry cleaners, they are ace!
    Real men never follow instructions; after all they are just the manufacturer's opinion on how to put something together. :p
  • carolinejane_2
    carolinejane_2 Posts: 1,556 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone :)

woke this morning and I've got some unknown black spots on my stairs, every other step so must have been something on one foot :o
    showered before I noticed it so don't know what it was???

anyway don't want to just scrub at it without knowing what it is, so how can I check and what can I use to remove it
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    I use Vanish stain remover, it's in a pink bottle and gets rid of pretty much anything. Test it on a small area first.
  • carolinejane_2
    Options
    worried it might be oil :(

will it work on that?
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    It doesn't say anything about oil on it - could try it though.
  • carolinejane_2
    Options
    worried about making it worse until I know what it is?
  • vanilla
    vanilla Posts: 3,277 Forumite
    Options
    Hairspray, i swear by it. DD spilt black ink on her cream carpet and hairspray got it off, the ink was really dryed in. :D

Spray it on, leave for a couple of minutes and dab it don't rub, once all the stain has lifted just clean with warm water.
    Sometimes it seems that the going is just too rough.
    And things go wrong no matter what I do.
    Now and then it seems that life is just too much.
    But you've got the love I need to see me through.
    :j :j
  • all_change
    all_change Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options

...must have been something on one foot...

anyway don't want to just scrub at it without knowing what it is, so how can I check and what can I use to remove it
    Have you looked at your shoes/socks/feet to see if you can identify it from there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure