🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Making chocolates or sweets

Options

Comments

• chloepops
    Options
    I'm going to make these Turkish/Greek/Arabic sweeties made with filo pastry, nuts and honey syrup; cut them into small (inch square) pieces and put in a little box - a person only needs a few before it gets too rich!

ingredients:
    a box filo ready rolled pastry (from any supermarket)
    large knob of butter - melt in microwave
    packet of chopped mixed nuts (or can choose any one type of nut)
    half a cup honey
    cup of sugar
    cup of cold water
    teaspoon of orange flower water or rose water (optional)
    tablespoon lemon juice

also need a pastry brush and a small roasting tin (or bread tin). and an oven.

method:
    put oven on to 160 degrees
    syrup: dissolve sugar and honey in water in a pan. add lemon juice and simmer for 5-10 mins or until the syrup is half the amount and thick and gloopy. remember gets gloopier when cooled. add orange blossom water and simmer for 2 more mins. allow to cool.

pastry:
    brush tin with melted butter
    one by one, brush around 8 sheets of pastry with butter and lay out in tin, fold any edges over to make it flat
    cover with layer of chopped nuts, till about half a centimetre thick
    repeat more pastry layers
    cut into inch square diamond or square shapes

bake for about 25 mins at 160, then whack up heat to 190 for another 10 mins.
    pour over cool syrup onto hot pastry and allow to cool. try to stop yourself eating it, yum!
  • SeaBee
    SeaBee Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    I decided to do lots of edible gifts this year too. For my colleagues I have made: Christmas Pudding truffles a la Nigella, Baileys Fudge, Lemon Truffles, Chocolate Shards and Mini Christmas Cakes.

Pinched a few wrapping ideas from this thread. Gave them today and they have been very well received.

Some pics below

th_SDC12396.jpgth_SDC12392.jpgth_SDC12390.jpgth_SDC12398.jpgth_SDC12393.jpg
  • jetty
    jetty Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Options
    SeaBee wrote: »
    I decided to do lots of edible gifts this year too. For my colleagues I have made: Christmas Pudding truffles a la Nigella, Baileys Fudge, Lemon Truffles, Chocolate Shards and Mini Christmas Cakes.

Pinched a few wrapping ideas from this thread. Gave them today and they have been very well received.

Some pics below

th_SDC12396.jpgth_SDC12392.jpgth_SDC12390.jpgth_SDC12398.jpgth_SDC12393.jpg

They look great :T
    Man who run into airport turn-styles is going to Bangkok

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research ;)
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    I went on an emergency shop to the supermarket at 9pm last night after reading this thread :o

I'm planning on making the 15's, baileys truffles and the mint choc stuff.

I'm going to leave making the truffles til the 23rd - to give as a gift on 24th.

How far in advance does anyone think I can make the 15's recipe?? I'm going to have a practise tonight so I can make sure it tastes ok :cool:

LOVE this thread....am concerned for my belly :o:D
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Kazipoo
    Kazipoo Posts: 806 Forumite
    edited 16 December 2009 at 5:31PM
    Options
    Starting weight 17st 4lb - weight now 15st 2lbs

30lb lost of 30lb by June 2012 :j:j:j (80lb overall goal)

• ChrissieT_2
    Options
    Choc truffles are lovely, but dates stuffed with cream cheese mixed with tia maria are absolutely divine.
    This is my first ever post. Have I done it okay?
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    ChrissieT wrote: »
    Choc truffles are lovely, but dates stuffed with cream cheese mixed with tia maria are absolutely divine.
    This is my first ever post. Have I done it okay?

You did just fine and dandy :T

Welcome to MSE :D
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • kemo_2002
    kemo_2002 Posts: 1,507 Forumite
    Options
    Im planning on giving sweets/chocs in jars, my question is, if i put the sweets in now (shop brought) are they likely to go soft? sweets are things like allsorts and miget gems...

also homemade cookies/muffins/biscuts ect , if made now will they keep for xmas??
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry if this is daft but......isn't the taste of cheese odd in truffle/sweetie things?
  • elysia2003
    elysia2003 Posts: 5,155 Forumite
    edited 17 December 2009 at 6:11PM
    Options
    Hiya, sorry to bother you. I've just made my first batch of peanut brittle using this recipe pasted from this thread.

What have I done wrong? It was bubbling away nicely for 10 mins and was a lovely clear toffee colour - until i put the second lot of ingredients in - then it became a sludgy mess! I'm hoping it will taste better than it looks.

I :heartpuls M.S.E.
    :DMortgage Free 18/01/10 13 years and 8 months early on a 20 year mortgage! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport