We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Making chocolates or sweets

Options

Comments

• nikinackyloo
    Options
    Kazipoo wrote: »
    I remembered when I was at school, our cook taught us all how to make chocolate truffles, made with digestive biscuits, so I have searched high and low for a similar recipe and tweaked it a little, and last night made up a batch..... oh dear lord they are yummy.... now i'm not a Bailey's fan, but trust me, you have to try them:

20 digestives, crushed
    10 tablespoons dessicated coconut (I used) or ground almonds (if you don't like coconut)
    1 tablespoon cocoa powder (not drinking chocolate)
    tin condensed milk (not the tiny tin)
    3 1/2 oz melted butter (I used stork which was fine)
    capful of Baileys (any variety - I used caramel creme)
    chocolate vermicelli for coating
    Petit fours cases

thank you so much for this recipe - they are lush!!!;)
  • nikinackyloo
    Options
    XMASSWEETS003.jpg

just thought I would share with you our sweets that we made yesterday - I think they look great seen as though they were made by a 3 year old and an 11 year old!;)

so sorry dont know how to resize??? sorry it is so huge
  • wendyphant
    wendyphant Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    Options
    wow they are lovely x x x

I cheated we went into home bargins and bought a kit to make chocolate tree decs the kit was only 79p and cam with cellophane wraps molds the chocolate the icing decs and ribbons - makes 24 . Bought 3 kits and the kids will be making tem at my son's 3rd birthday next weekend x
    :happyhear YUMMY MUMMY TO HENRY BEAR AGED 10:happyhear
    slimming world need to get back to target 25lb to go
    Disney World here we come May 2018:j
  • scotrae
    scotrae Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    Well done Nikynackylou and accompanying 11 year old! :T That will make a lovely gift! I hope it's appreciated.
  • nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was watching Nigellas Christmas on BCC1 yesterday, she made Christmas pudding bon bons. They were like little xmas pud truffles. I didnt copy the exact recipe as she didnt say, she sort of bunged it all in. But they looked amazing after they were done, great gifts.

actually went to type out what I remembered, instead I googled it, hope the link works

http://www.styleathome.com/food-and-entertaining/recipes/recipe-nigella-s-christmas-puddini-bonbons/a/18992

Ill be making these I think, but with less alcohol.
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can you actually put on weight by reading a thread I wonder? These recipes all sound fab but I think I had better fast until I make mine on Monday because it sounds as if, purely for scientific reasons, I will have to taste all of my chocs and sweets to ensure they are perfect. Note to self - buy extra of everything!
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • laura16_2
    Options
    The fifteens are in the fridge although they went I bit wrong but ill see how they turn out.

I couldnt get them to go into a sausage shape so i put it in little bun cases instead like little sweets so I'll just see how they go

of to make something else now :)
    Sealed pot challenge 1875
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    You dollop the big sticky mix onto greaseproof paper with dessicated coconut sprinkled on it - then roll the whole lot up in a sausage shape and leave rolled up in the fridge for a bit to set. :j
    Wot else you making ?
  • Kazipoo
    Kazipoo Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    nikinackyloo they look lush, and I am loving the box. I forgot to take pictures of mine in the boxes, although I do have them on the plates. I gave some to a neighbour for looking after the dog this weekend while we went to visit family, and when we got back, she asked me where I bought them from..... how chuffed was I???

For my boxes, I bought some small gift boxes from card warehouse, they were about 40p each, and wrapped them in ribbon and bows. I also made a legend by taking pictures of my sweets and then cutting them out (on the computer) and putting a small description underneath. I was sooooo chuffed with the finished product that I am considering doing them every year as gifts!!!
    Starting weight 17st 4lb - weight now 15st 2lbs

30lb lost of 30lb by June 2012 :j:j:j (80lb overall goal)

• jetty
    jetty Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Options
    I made the truffles in the end (after having a panic after my eldest DD decided to catch a cactus and have to go to the minor injuries clinic!!) Anyway, everything went down REALLY well, so thanks everyone and :xmassign: :D
    Man who run into airport turn-styles is going to Bangkok

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure