🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Making chocolates or sweets

Options

Comments

• laura16_2
    Options
    I've just made ginger bread xmas trees for gift tags but off topic i know but never mind

next up turkish delight
    Sealed pot challenge 1875
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I want to say that I have put on 5 lbs JUST READING THIS THREAD ! And it cant be because I et the stuff - I put it in the freezer to stop myself doing that !!
  • jetty
    jetty Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Options
    laura16 wrote: »
    I've just made ginger bread xmas trees for gift tags but off topic i know but never mind

next up turkish delight

OMG!! That is the BEST idea EVER!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:
    Man who run into airport turn-styles is going to Bangkok

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research ;)
  • Savesarah
    Options
    Was getting hungry reading all these yummy ideas. So had to try the truffles, but think I used too much condensed milk, what size tin should it be ? The mixture was too wet and not easy to roll into balls. I split the mixture in half as have 2 girls so they mixed half the mixture together, so only added half the remaining milk to one girls mixture and that seemed better, they are in the fridge now waiting to be tried - can't wait !
  • jetty
    jetty Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Options
    Savesarah wrote: »
    Was getting hungry reading all these yummy ideas. So had to try the truffles, but think I used too much condensed milk, what size tin should it be ? The mixture was too wet and not easy to roll into balls. I split the mixture in half as have 2 girls so they mixed half the mixture together, so only added half the remaining milk to one girls mixture and that seemed better, they are in the fridge now waiting to be tried - can't wait !

If it helps, mine were a little gooey when rolling into balls, lol, kept sticking to my fingers! I used a whole big tin and they were fine
    Man who run into airport turn-styles is going to Bangkok

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research ;)
  • Savesarah
    Options
    Thanks jetty, the girls loved the truffles, I found them a bit rich, think needed that extra milk that i didn't use, and should have just rolled them into gooey balls, they would have set. Also, think youngest girl but more cocoa powder in when I wasn't looking :-)
  • laura16_2
    Options
    Quick question does my turkish delight go in fridge to set or not?
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kazipoo wrote: »
    Oooh I'm making peanut brittle and fudge this week sometime, but I wouldn't mind your recipe for cinder toffee.... I've never made it and we all love it :D

You need to make sure you use a deep tin - I made some from a recipe in We'll Eat Again, and decided in my wisdom that I didn't need a tin as big as they said - after all there wasn't much mixture in the pan. But of course, once you add the bicarb it all froths up. So I poured it into my prepared tin, and most of it frothed up over the sides and on to the cooker :o:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

What was left didn't really look like a crunchy - it went all gooey and sticky. I've never made it again, but I suppose I should give it another try - in a deep container :D
  • Kazipoo
    Kazipoo Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    laura16 wrote: »
    Quick question does my turkish delight go in fridge to set or not?

No. I tried that myself and it just doesn't work.... leave it covered on the bench, it takes a while to set properly!
    Starting weight 17st 4lb - weight now 15st 2lbs

30lb lost of 30lb by June 2012 :j:j:j (80lb overall goal)

• laura16_2
    Options
    cool thats where it I lust wasnt sure if the fridge was the way forward I have very thin turkish delight because my tin was a bit big but nevermind

I've just done scotish tablet it has like brown spots in because I burnt it a bit but I'll let you know how it is tomorrow, does that go in the fridge?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family