Making chocolates or sweets

Options

Comments

• Mortal
    Mortal Posts: 261 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for this thread, it came just at the right time. Yesterday I made a batch each of lemon and peppermint creams, some almond brittle, some almond truffle ball things, and some peanut brittle...well, actually, two lots of the peanut brittle because the first lot must have 'caught' as it tasted really bitter.

I managed to get hold of some cellophane for 50p form the florist and along with some tissue paper, and ribbons, wrapped a couple of each into little gifts for my sons teachers. They were both thrilled with them
    Thank you, and Merry Christmas :D
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9622/hazelnut+praline+truffles

made these a few nghts ago inspired by this thread. started feelng christmassy now :D
  • Mortal
    Mortal Posts: 261 Forumite
    Options
    oooh yummy. I have a question though, what is 'pouring cream'?
  • Lynn11
    Lynn11 Posts: 674 Forumite
    Options
    What are the actual quantities of the ingrediants for peppermint creams. If I remember right you mention icing sugar, condensed milk and peppermint essence - how much of each and the instructions as I would like to do this next week for wee parcels for the direct family.
    MFIT T2 Challenge - No 46
    Overpayments 2006-2009 = £11985; 2010 = £6170, 2011 = £5570, 2012 = £1290
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lynn11 wrote: »
    What are the actual quantities of the ingrediants for peppermint creams. If I remember right you mention icing sugar, condensed milk and peppermint essence - how much of each and the instructions as I would like to do this next week for wee parcels for the direct family.

http://www.sugarboy.co.uk/acatalog/Recipes.html

I use the above recipe, and they always taste fab:D
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Made lots of things from here today and all went well, except the fudge.
    Used the carnation recipe, even watched their video, but its not quite stiff enough (the fudge :rolleyes:)
    It tastes fab, looks great but its just a tiny bit too soft. I can roll it into balls, which I'm sure isn't right.
    It seemed OK when I did the bit in ice water.
    Any ideas how to firm it up a bit for my pressie batch (clean answers only please:D)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    o WHAT A LOVELY WEBSITE ANNIE TY !
  • calvincamel
    Options
    Mortal wrote: »
    oooh yummy. I have a question though, what is 'pouring cream'?

Pouring cream = single cream
  • nic2075
    nic2075 Posts: 3,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    annie123 wrote: »
    Made lots of things from here today and all went well, except the fudge.
    Used the carnation recipe, even watched their video, but its not quite stiff enough (the fudge :rolleyes:)
    It tastes fab, looks great but its just a tiny bit too soft. I can roll it into balls, which I'm sure isn't right.
    It seemed OK when I did the bit in ice water.
    Any ideas how to firm it up a bit for my pressie batch (clean answers only please:D)

Hi, I also made fudge a few weeks back and it didnt go quite hard enough, I just ate mine soft :rolleyes:, but Kazipoo I think it was , reheated hers and added dark choc to it, it then hardned up ok.hth
    :santa2::xmastree::santa2:
  • jem1276
    jem1276 Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    scotrae wrote: »
    Gorgeous and very, very simple after dinner mints. Everyone asks how I make them but I daren't let on they are this simple!

Smash Extra Strong Mints into fine pieces and mix into melted plain chocolate.

Pour this into a dish or baking tray, possibly lined with a silicone sheet or cling film. Make it a thin layer - about half a centimetre is ideal.

Stick in the fridge and break it into irregular shaped pieces when set - taking care not to get finger prints on it!

I bag them into clear sellophane bags with festive ribbon and keep them in the fridge til DH goes out delivering them as extra gifts to aunts and uncles etc.

I made them last night to give 4 bags as prezzies today and they are yummy. I am a complete kitchen dunce and even I couldn't mess these up! Thank you :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure