We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Sub Prime Credit Thread - Part IV

Options

Comments

• cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    doelani wrote: »
    Cif do Ulsterbank increase your limit automatically or do you have to apply ?
    The last 3 times I asked for an increase. I am going to wait now for an automatic increase.
  • Zack1
    Zack1 Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    edited 27 November 2009 at 3:37AM
    Options
    Hey everyone, just seen this thread :)

Wow. I've just applied for "Home Shopping Direct" (never heard of them until I came on this thread!!) and it says I've got £125 to spend and that may increase/decrease when they finish processing my application. So that means I'm accepted (even if they eventually give me something rubbish like £50?). Is it an actual credit card or just an online account thing, it seems to be the latter :(. Still better than nothing if it's going to get me some green 0s though!

I've got a pending Barclaycard one too, they "need more information". I think saying I'm unemployed but have 10k income is what made them suspicious! But they have no Student option, and a lot of students get 7k a year from Student Finance + part time job = more than 10, bet they get funny about it though, or just reject me :rotfl:

seeya23 wrote: »
    now you can pay your bill online now
    seeya23 wrote: »
    Nooooooo! Haha that's the reason I turned them down a few months ago. I was accepted subject to ID checks and realised it had no online management and didn’t want to risk late payments etc so wrote cancelling the application. As I've now got Capital One I'm guessing they'd reject me if I apply again:mad:

Is there a problem with MSE and multiquoting? They keep changing when I didn't do them like that!

cifpower wrote: »
    I just applied for a 3 sim only plan. It is a contract but there is no line rental as you only pay for the texts and minutes you use. I will not be using it but will keep it for some nice green zeroes.

Haha, I got that in August. Spent 10p sending myself a text and paid and haven't used it since, when I got my credit report it had one green zero and hasn't been updated since. I’m hoping the rest will be green 0’s rather than U or anything else (Alliance gave me a load of U’s for some reason….I haven’t even got any credit with them!!)

Edit:

I've just seen this

"A £36 order on minimum terms of £6 every 28 days will mean you pay a total of £40.14....". That seems pretty good? But, the main thing I was worried about, that says on minimum terms, so that's just paying the minimum every month? But for everyone who pays in full then it's like my other credit cards, where you just pay for what you brought and no extra charges/interest etc?
  • cifpower
    Options
    Zack1 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, just seen this thread :)

Wow. I've just applied for "Home Shopping Direct" (never heard of them until I came on this thread!!) and it says I've got £125 to spend and that may increase/decrease when they finish processing my application. So that means I'm accepted (even if they eventually give me something rubbish like £50?). Is it an actual credit card or just an online account thing, it seems to be the latter :(. Still better than nothing if it's going to get me some green 0s though!

Everyone who applied for one of these catalogues gets the £125 limit. Leave it a few hours and log back in. If the limit is still there you have been accepted. It is an online only account like Littlewoods or Freemans.
  • Zack1
    Zack1 Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Options
    cifpower wrote: »
    Everyone who applied for one of these catalogues gets the £125 limit. Leave it a few hours and log back in. If the limit is still there you have been accepted. It is an online only account like Littlewoods or Freemans.
    Thanks, it's now gone! :mad: I thought they would at least put it to say £100 then let it build up like Capital One. Oh well I wouldn't have got an actual card with it so would have only used it now and again.

Just gone for a JJB Card as I'm typing this and got rejected, surprise surprise. So gone for Vanquis to see what would happen and been rejected too. Might email and complain because I was accepted before, but don't think that'll make too any difference:rotfl:

I'm still quite shocked that Capital One actually accepted me. Hopefully they stick my limit up a lot in Feb/March time!
  • bingy_burge
    Options
    Zack1 wrote: »
    Thanks, it's now gone! :mad: I thought they would at least put it to say £100 then let it build up like Capital One. Oh well I wouldn't have got an actual card with it so would have only used it now and again.

Just gone for a JJB Card as I'm typing this and got rejected, surprise surprise. So gone for Vanquis to see what would happen and been rejected too. Might email and complain because I was accepted before, but don't think that'll make too any difference:rotfl:

I'm still quite shocked that Capital One actually accepted me. Hopefully they stick my limit up a lot in Feb/March time!

woooh

I would stop applying for credit if I was you.
  • cifpower
    Options
    woooh

I would stop applying for credit if I was you.
    My sentiments too. If JD Williams will not give you credit, your rating is trash
  • Sam2009
    Sam2009 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    First time here so a big HELLO :)

Wanted to just ask a question. I have recently applied, been accepted and received my Vanquis card. Yesterday though I was turned down for Home Shopping Direct Account after initially it said £125.

I emailed and they said credit control would get back to me, which they did saying they were unable to accept me.

Any ideas why they wouldnt accept me when Vanquis did ??

Credit file not looking as bad as it has done years ago! 1 CCJ for £296 for water bill not paid, and two defaults registered - one settled and one outstanding. 4 other accounts with lots of green dots though (one being ongoing provident loan I renew every Christmas with shows full 12 months of green dots!)

I also bank with Halifax, easycash account who has refused for the last 7 years to give me a proper bank account! I dont know what to do about this one yet thought! Account always in credit, nothing bounced and no charges.

Debit occured after ex-husband left me for someone else - TUT so was left with two-income bills, a young son and only a part-time job ..... not my fault really, not that anyone cares when you owe them money lol

Any advice ?
  • cifpower
    Options
    Welcome to the site and especially this thread! You are sure of a warm welcome and plenty of craic.

Can't say why you got the Vanquis and not the shopping account. Each company has its own criteria and operates within them so while you can be accepted for one you can be declined for the other. Have heart though, 6-12 months of Vanquis (with nice credit limit increases) will have your foot on the first rung of the credit ladder.
  • Sam2009
    Sam2009 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options

After many hours reading through these threads I realised Vanquis was probably my best bet so tried there first on the basis, like you said, it can only help to improve my credit in the future.

Sick of being on the 'poor list' lol
  • cifpower
    Options
    Sam2009 wrote: »

After many hours reading through these threads I realised Vanquis was probably my best bet so tried there first on the basis, like you said, it can only help to improve my credit in the future.

Sick of being on the 'poor list' lol
    What limit/APR did you get from Vanquis?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport