Great 'What NOT to buy in Pound Shops' Hunt

Options

Comments

• cobblersmark
    Options
    I think the problem with pound shops is that they lure you into buying things that you don't really need. You can pick up a great bargain but it is easy to pick up something because its a quid. Secondly, if you buy some cheap tat that breaks quickly, at a pound you are less likely to complain/take it back, you simply bin it and cut you losses. That is what I always take care of.
  • kellyt1981
    Options
    A few weeks ago the Bodyform sanitary towels were two for £1.50 in Boots and i saw them in PoundWorld for £1 a pack (Obviously!)
  • GS160
    Options
    David42 wrote: »
    The car bulb sets are too dim for headlights. I now buy Ring car headlight bulbs from Wilkinsons (around £4 I think) or from Trago Mills when I am in Devon (around £2-£3 a couple of years ago).

Shouldnt be...theyre basic H4 55/60w Halogens. Sure theyre not as bright as new Xenon bulbs...but they are bright enough, the same brightness as any car headlight a few years back.
  • chrissie55
    Options
    The fat-balls for birds are cheap, but theirs & Wilkinson's are less good than the not-much-dearer ones from my bird-food supplier, & there's always a lot of sawdusty stuff on the lawn from them; if I can't see my supplier, I'll buy cheap marg for the birds.
    The bungee-straps weren't very elastic, either, but in general, they've some worthwhile stuff, eg, big tubs of Ice Gel for painful joints, & cotton cloths 8 for £1-.
  • DeLorean
    Options
    The packs containing a selecting of car bulbs are pretty useless.

The headlamp bulb in my wife’s car blew just before going for it's MOT.

I had a Poundland headlamp bulb pack in my car, so I popped in the correct bulb, checked it worked and drove the car to the MOT test garage.

During the MOT test the Poundland bulb popped and I had to pay the garage to replace the bulb or it would have failed the MOT.

Oops!
  • blonde36er
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    Never buy just one can/bottle when on offer for "4 for a pound"- if you buy one, its a pound, if you buy 3, its a pound, if you buy 4, its a pound. The staff either don't care or don't know how to divide 100 by 4! Madness!!

To be fair to the staff, even if they can divide £1 by 4 I don't think they have the option of selling you one can for 25p!
  • nippyone
    nippyone Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    hayley11 wrote: »
    They were 1kg bags, I checked. ;)

We have three Poundland shops in neighbouring towns (we stay in a village) and my friend and I buy sugar from there on a regular basis and there ARE 1.5KG bags!!!
  • julietiff
    julietiff Posts: 747 Forumite
    edited 27 November 2009 at 12:44PM
    Options
    Dog tennis balls £1 for 4 in most £1 shops they are rubbish!!
    my dog (large lab/collie) has them destroyed before we get out the house as they are glued together in the middle. Much better option 39p per ball in large sports shop...Sports Direct I think...they are still cheap but he takes a lot longer to destroy them!!!

Yes utter rubbish took my 3 dogs minutes to destroy them lol
  • diabeticguy
    Options
    Don't buy bulbs if you want a sure chance of them succeeding!
    My mate , a gardener bought 50 pineapple lillies (£1 for 5-6) and they all grew into a beautiful plant.
  • flippin36
    flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    edited 25 November 2009 at 8:05PM
    Options
    megsykins wrote: »
    Balloons - £1 in Poundland but 78p in Tesco.
    Wouldn't trust the 2 for £1 pregnancy tests either (not that I've tried them)

Wouldn't trust their condoms either :eek:

Edit: just seen other poster saying PTests are fine. Goodness they were £10 when I started with babies!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure