Zig's 'Save for a House and Stay out of Debt' Diary!

Options
zigmeister
zigmeister Posts: 1,099 Forumite
edited 12 November 2009 at 7:42PM in Debt free diaries
Part 2 of the journey begins! :D

Recap: I am a 20 year old Primary Education student who has just become debt-free and is now on a mission to save money for a house deposit!

Part 1 is where I started, with £2000 of debt, having already paid off £2500.

It sounds stupid, but I just want to say thank you to all the girls (and guys!) fom Dinah's thread. I wouldn't have been able to stick to it without having you lot to talk to. So thank you :)

This thread will be my outlet to talk about how how my savings are going, whether I've been able to stay out of debt, and how stressful it is teaching! :p

I'm also in a Voucher Stash for 2010 challenge so DooYoo is my friend for the forseeable future! Feel free to post and offer advice or tell me off if I've spent too much in Boots.. ;)

Zig x

Present Stash

These are presents that are extra from the presents I've bought for Christmas.

Royal Jelly Mini Moisture Set
Ruby & Millie Gold Cosmetic Bag
Ruby & Millie Eye Pencil Kit
Ruby & Millie Eye Make-up Brush
Olay Regenerist Cleanser
Time Delay Radiance Booster
Time Delay Eye Cream
No7 Indulgent Bathing products x 6
Total Debt (Dec 2015) £11,500 : Currently £7,675
House Deposit Savings : £8,600/£25,000
Lose 21lb : 0/21

Comments

• Dinah93
    Dinah93 Posts: 11,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Yey Zig! Looking forward to seeing you working towards that house. The fact that you are doing it while a student is just incredible.
    Debt January 1st 2018 £96,999.81
    Debt September 20th 2022 £2991.68- 96.92% paid off
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • Cinny91
    Cinny91 Posts: 6,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Zig! I'm here!

Yay for the new thread, looks like we'll be saving to move out at the same time! My guess is you'll do way better than me (unless I sneakily tempt you into Boots with news of some offers - moohaha!)

Seriously though, super well done on clearing your debts, like I said on my thread I'm so chuffed for you! And I have no doubts you'll be able to easily save what you're after.

And I've bought a thread warming gift of e-jaffa cakes if anybody wants one (or seven)

Off to subscribe! x
  • Flower08
    Flower08 Posts: 4,771 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh i'll have a jaffa cake, would rather the whole pack though cinny :D

Well done clearing the debt zig!!

Off to go and subscribe.
    Biggest Loser Weight Loss: 13 / 20 lb
  • louisebt
    Options
    OOhhh excellent news!, and good luck with the house fund.... we bought our house about 17 months ago,, it hasnt been easy, we've been hit with some pretty big and expensive problems since moving here but we're slowly getting them fixed (damp problems = expensive)

I might just be inspirated to start a thread myself tomorrow, see if you guys can help me on the road to being debt free!
  • zigmeister
    Options
    Thank you guys and welcome! :j
    Cinny91 wrote: »
    looks like we'll be saving to move out at the same time! My guess is you'll do way better than me (unless I sneakily tempt you into Boots with news of some offers - moohaha!)

It's so exciting! I haven't been this excited for ages! Na you've done amazingly well with your savings already! I get too tempted by everything! :D

Woohoo jaffa cakes! :p Good job they're only e-jaffa cakes cuz it's way too easy to munch through a whole packet!

Louise that sounds annoying to have big problems fairly soon after buying! You should definitely start a thread. People on the DFW board are so friendly and supportive :)
  • Tete_en_l'Air
    Options
    Good morning - Tete reporting in and subscribing :)
    Weightloss: 14.5/65lb
  • zigmeister
    Options
    This morning was a nightmare, I overslept and got into school late. So I didn't have time to make or buy lunch. Luckily, I had some leftover houmous in the school fridge, and a packet of crisps, cereal bar and a lemon and raisin pancake in my bag! :p

I stopped in ASDA on the way home with the aim to buy an alarm clock and a flask for hot drinks in school. (It's freezing in the classrooms!) I spent way too much but I didn't think I had. Here's what I bought:

ASDA spends

4 muller yogurts £1
    5 jumpers £15 (£3 each, instead of £6, will be good for placement and got one for my Mum. I got a bunch of different sizes though so might end up taking one or two back.)
    Potatoes £1
    Cheese £2
    Latex gloves £1 (For chopping chillies and stuff!)
    Oranges £1
    Rolls 52p
    Fruit bread 93p
    Pitta breads 76p
    Santa hat £1 (Gotta be honest, bought it cuz it was £1!) :D
    Bread 67p
    Underwear £4
    Crayons £1
    Alarm clock £1.50
    DVDs £6 (£3 each - a film that OH really wanted to watch that was reduced, and a film I really like that was gonna buy for £5 a while ago.)
    Flask £1.95

Total £39.33

It didn't seem that much to me but obviously added up to a lot so that's annoying!

I was gonna cook roast pork for dinner cuz the meat needed eating by today, but when I opened it, the smell was disgusting. So I took it back to Tesco and she refunded me but wouldn't give me double the refund cuz I didn't have my receipt. I said 'but you can see it's from Tesco' and she said 'yes but we can't see when you bought it'. I didn't push too hard cuz there were 2 staff members watching and I was embarrassed.
    But my Mum thinks I should write a letter to head office cuz I paid out for the meat, the veg to go with it, the petrol to get to Tesco etc. What would you lot do?
  • Flower08
    Flower08 Posts: 4,771 Forumite
    Options
    zigmeister wrote: »

I was gonna cook roast pork for dinner cuz the meat needed eating by today, but when I opened it, the smell was disgusting. So I took it back to Tesco and she refunded me but wouldn't give me double the refund cuz I didn't have my receipt. I said 'but you can see it's from Tesco' and she said 'yes but we can't see when you bought it'. I didn't push too hard cuz there were 2 staff members watching and I was embarrassed.
    But my Mum thinks I should write a letter to head office cuz I paid out for the meat, the veg to go with it, the petrol to get to Tesco etc. What would you lot do?

I think its defintely worth a try writing, but then OH jokes that i enjoy writing letters of complaint too much :D you've got nothing to lose by trying!
    Biggest Loser Weight Loss: 13 / 20 lb
  • louisebt
    Options
    Defo put in a written complaint.... i did an Asda complaint recently (2 inch long piece of bone in a burger) and got a £15 giftcard!

I've started my diary, its not good tho but i've started, onwards and upwards!
  • Cinny91
    Cinny91 Posts: 6,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I agree with your Mum (and Flower!) I'd write them a letter - even if it wasn't you who bought it what does it matter? It's hardly like another person could come in wanting the money back!

Wooah - That does really add up Zig! When I saw the total I thought 'Has She left something of the list?!' I think you confused me with all the pennies items mixed with the £15 and £6 bits!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure