Warranty Direct problems

Options

Comments

• EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    Options
    Well I agree with the OP. I know from someone who worked in a warranty company that they consider all premiums as pure profit i.e. they never intend to pay out on a claim and make it extremely difficult for the customer who attempts to make them. I would not call a gearbox a wear and tear item otherwise you might as well say everything on the car is a wear and tear item. I'd suggest davey consider any information as to what is wrong with the gearbox e.g. if something has broken rather than worn out, then you'd have a good case for a small claim against Warranty direct. In these cases the judges usually favour the punter. I hope you give it a go !
  • aqueoushumour01
    Options
    typical warranty company - wear & tear is so wooly that it helps them get out of most payments. i wouldn't take out another policy again.
    :D
  • daveyonthemove
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    Daveyonthemove, have another read of Anihilator's post...

He states (but I have not checked) that the policy indicates that a refund is allowed if no claim has been accepted.
    Have you checked the policy documentation?
    No claim has been accepted.
    Why don't you challenge them on this point?
    Discuss this point with CAB perhaps.
    I queried this point with the warranty company.
    They claimed i could not cancel the policy as i had made a claim. I pointed out that no payment had been made towards any work on my car (no work was carried out) but they insisted that i could not cancel.
    If they intend to keep me paying, i intend to get my gearbox repaired.
  • daveyonthemove
    Options
    I think the issue is that you do not know what specificaly has failed within the gearbox.

The document you linked to gives a list of gearbox components that are covered - it also states that if the item is not in the list then it is not covered. If you can prove to them that it is one of the listed components that has failed then I am sure they would reconsider your claim, but it sounds as though they are under the impresion that the failed component is a not covered item - you need to find out what exactly has failed

I agree, nobody knows the exact issue that caused the box to fail so badly, but now the warranty company are throwing the FW&T get out clause around, i know exactly what will happen when i authorise the GB to be removed and inspected.... 'Sorry Mr daveyonthemove, but that item that broke is FW&T so you must foot the bill for it all....'
    I can't afford these bills, hence why i took a policy out cushion this sort of work.
    As the policy clearly states gearbox parts by name (and plenty of them) i fail to see what might have failed that isn't listed, and how its suddenly a wear and tear item.
    The Gearbox is not subject to any (internal) inspection unless there is a fault, and it i have a manufacturers service book that states as much.
    I'm hoping tomorrow will bring me more luck after the CAB have heard my problems.
  • daveyonthemove
    Options
    EdGasket wrote: »
    Well I agree with the OP. I know from someone who worked in a warranty company that they consider all premiums as pure profit i.e. they never intend to pay out on a claim and make it extremely difficult for the customer who attempts to make them. I would not call a gearbox a wear and tear item otherwise you might as well say everything on the car is a wear and tear item. I'd suggest davey consider any information as to what is wrong with the gearbox e.g. if something has broken rather than worn out, then you'd have a good case for a small claim against Warranty direct. In these cases the judges usually favour the punter. I hope you give it a go !

Thankyou, i'm glad i'm not the only one who can identify the gearbox as NOT being a fair wear and tear item :D
    EdGasket wrote: »
    I would not call a gearbox a wear and tear item otherwise you might as well say everything on the car is a wear and tear item.

This is exactly what i said to the guy at the warranty company when i complained about being mis-sold a policy. If the GB is FW&T, then every other item on the car is just as likely to suffer from FW&T, meaning their policy is useless/worthless, and those are my grounds for cancelling.
    I'm going to ask for all recordings of telephone conversations and request that any future contact be written in email, and mailed to me.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Contact them by letter making a complaint in writing. Go through their "complaints procedure" and exhaust it. Then make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman which will cost WD £450 whether or not the complaint is upheld.
    The man without a signature.
  • daveyonthemove
    Options
    vikingaero wrote: »
    Contact them by letter making a complaint in writing. Go through their "complaints procedure" and exhaust it. Then make a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman which will cost WD £450 whether or not the complaint is upheld.

Really?
    I didn't know that. I'm getting straight on that tomorrow if CAB have no luck.
    Many thanks
  • Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    The complaints procedure is on P16 of the brochure you linked to.

I cannot believe the FOS would side with an insurer who says:

1. That isn't a valid claim because it's a FW&T item
    then
    2. Oh, and you can't cancel under the cooling-off period cos you just made a claim.

On the one hand they're saying it isn't a (valid) claim and on the other because of this non-claim you can't cancel. Complete cobblers IMO. Also as stated it will cost them several hundred for your complaint to go to the FOS so might concentrate their minds.
  • daveyonthemove
    Options
    Ian_W wrote: »
    The complaints procedure is on P16 of the brochure you linked to.

I cannot believe the FOS would side with an insurer who says:

1. That isn't a valid claim because it's a FW&T item
    then
    2. Oh, and you can't cancel under the cooling-off period cos you just made a claim.

On the one hand they're saying it isn't a (valid) claim and on the other because of this non-claim you can't cancel. Complete cobblers IMO. Also as stated it will cost them several hundred for your complaint to go to the FOS so might concentrate their minds.
    I will have great joy in them receiving that fine.
    This gearbox is going to cost me over £1200 in total thanks to a worthless warranty, and it should only cost £150!
    On top of that, I will now have to sell the car immediatly after it's repaired in order to pay back any money I borrow for the fix.
    With Xmas coming up, I could do without this sort of let down.
  • Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I will have great joy in them receiving that fine.
    This gearbox is going to cost me over £1200 in total thanks to a worthless warranty, and it should only cost £150!
    On top of that, I will now have to sell the car immediatly after it's repaired in order to pay back any money I borrow for the fix.
    With Xmas coming up, I could do without this sort of let down.
    It's not a fine - they have to pay the Ombudsman costs, win or lose.

When it goes into the garage ask them to let you know the problem before they do any work. If it is something that is worn out then your complaint would have to be about their cancellation stance. If something that is covered has suddenly and unexpectedly broken (rather than worn out) - then have another go at getting them to pay. If they won't then include that in your complaint as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure