We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

MSE Parents Club Part 8

1…12441245124712491250…1605

Comments

  • SugarSpun
    SugarSpun Posts: 8,559 Forumite
    csh wrote: »
    Best not tell you about the £3.49 Aldi Reisling I'm drinking then. I'll pay over a tenner for Prosecco tho, love it!

    :eek: *shudders*

    Prosecco's actually incredibly cheap here, it starts around €3 and a good one can be €6ish. It's just driven through the mountains from Italy so there's almost no transport cost.

    Aldi's Veuve Monsigny champagne's about a tenner and it's wonderful, though. Although I have a bit of a bone to pick with Aldi over their wine - there's a grape "Barolo", which makes a high-end expensive wine, but Aldi have a winemaker who uses the name Barolo so people think they're getting a bargain but are actually getting a blend of the scrag ends of other vineyards' leftovers.
    Organised Birthdays and Christmas: Spend So Far: £193.75; Saved from RRP £963.76
    Three gifts left to buy
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,010 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    this is me .. i do it philip hasnt got a clue how much everything is he wants me to teach him but every time i try it goes in one ear and out the other x

    But I think I have heard you say that Philip isn't want, want, want! Not that I want dh to never have anything, but it seems like it is constant.....

    For instance he moved his PC up to the bedroom (I did want it out the dining room) He has since bought a wire costing £20 then because he reckoned pc was cutting out because pc was overheating because of positioning he bought an adapter thing to attach a longer wire £9 then as internet kept logging him out he bought a router enhancer thing £45 and now he reckons his graphics card is on it's way out....god knows how much he is thinking of spending on one of those, his last one cost about £200......this is all while I am struggling to sort stuff out for the kids for christmas.

    We then got in to a blazing row because he thinks I am going overboard on what I want for the kids and putting us all under stress because we can't afford it...well we would have more chance of affording it if he would just stop spending for a couple of weeks:mad:

    EDIT - Weezl I am not a saint, I am stupid;)
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • elle_gee
    elle_gee Posts: 8,584 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Where is he getting the money from, Mel? Maybe you could have a change around of bank accounts so you have separate ones for spends and household stuff.. then he's got what he's got until it's all gone (or would he just use an overdraft then?).. :confused: (sorry, supposed to be a helpful suggestion.. tell me to go whistle if you like! ;) xx)
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,010 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    edited 11 December 2009 at 10:13PM
    Right best go kick big boys up bum and into bed, I have started to delegate the overseeing of this to dh;)

    Slowly, slowly....

    Elle - It is all kind of joint money.....otherwise I would, then again...from next year I pretty much have no income, apart from tax credits etc which again, is all sort of joint/family money!! We have never split our money as when we first lived together I was too young to even claim benefits and we lived off his dole money and then his wages until I was old enough to work!!
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • csh_2
    csh_2 Posts: 3,294 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    SugarSpun wrote: »
    :eek: *shudders*

    Prosecco's actually incredibly cheap here, it starts around €3 and a good one can be €6ish. It's just driven through the mountains from Italy so there's almost no transport cost.

    Aldi's Veuve Monsigny champagne's about a tenner and it's wonderful, though. Although I have a bit of a bone to pick with Aldi over their wine - there's a grape "Barolo", which makes a high-end expensive wine, but Aldi have a winemaker who uses the name Barolo so people think they're getting a bargain but are actually getting a blend of the scrag ends of other vineyards' leftovers.

    That champagne is good as is their Crement du Jura. Interesting about the Barolo, we used to have the wine buyers blog on the website but hes not there anymore. You could have complained to him.
    I'm sure we do the 'real' Barolo as well but as a special buy not an everyday line
  • Sami_Bee wrote: »
    Krystal http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/lifestyle-home/castle-cake/index.html
    Sorry for laughing Dave, I'd send a kiss to make it better but that would be a bit weird, no?
    Depends where the kiss is :rotfl:
    weezl74 wrote: »


    yes,but DH wants to come live with you now:o:D

    Aww hunny, I don't measure up to you :)
    weezl74 wrote: »

    hmmmmmn that's tricky Mel. I think my worry is that if someone isn't able to work due to ill health that the state system doesn't really pay enough incapacity benefit to afford the best brand levels. In that sense his tastes may be dependant on a budget he can't afford unless you are able to top him up. IYSWIM:confused:

    How does he feel about that or do you think he hasn't done the maths, so to speak?
    Or as a friend of mine puts it... Champagne lifestyle with lemonade money...

    Krystal - make sure the poor bloke is still intact. You never know when you'll need it ;)
    Don't worry... He only needs it in his dreams :p

    Can't hang around... We're doing the tree... £2.80 from Wilko last year...
    A very proud Mummy to 3 beautiful girls... I do pity my husband though, he's the one to suffer the hormones...
    Krystal is so smart and funny and wonderful I am struck dumb in awe in her presence.

  • csh_2
    csh_2 Posts: 3,294 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    elle_gee wrote: »

    Am peed off with Morrisons offers, they never have enough stock in and its a bit out of the way for me
  • csh_2
    csh_2 Posts: 3,294 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    im a massive bargain hunter .. in the last month ive got 10 500g pack of mince for £5, 4 big whole chickens for £4.75, 4 packs of chicken large legs 2 in each for 63p each and you all saw my status the other day ... i seriously hunt down bargains x

    Do you buy chicken breast ever or do you prefer the brown meat? Farmfoods do 3x1K bag of Chicken breast for a tenner. Big breasts (oo er) and not full of water like some cheaper chicken
  • SugarSpun
    SugarSpun Posts: 8,559 Forumite
    *sniggers at big breasts*

    Right, I have collected Molly's stuff for tomorrow and packed our bag. We're off to a town outside Munich for a Christmas market. I will now make a hot water bottle for my aching legs, wash the dishes that are festering in the sink (direct appeal seems to have failed, although Husband is getting up so maybe I'm just being snotty and he does intend to do them) and go to bed.

    Goodnight my lovelies - back tomorrow evening :)
    Organised Birthdays and Christmas: Spend So Far: £193.75; Saved from RRP £963.76
    Three gifts left to buy
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.