Tesco self serve checkouts - attendant has to check the number of bags NOT used

Options

Comments

• LemonGrove
    Options
    CG19a wrote: »
    I don't disagree with that point, its just the way people seem to take the hump when they are asked to prove they are over 18. We all know its an inconvenience, however think of what the possible alternatives are for the cashier if they get it wrong. The Think25 system was designed to make it almost foolproof.

I know some people take it too far, the cashier can't be expected to know your age and many people look completely different to their age nowadays, but I also understand that it must be annoying for those that are much older and still get ID'd.

In my case I've resigned myself to having my driving license sewed to my wallet for at least the next 10 years as I look more like a kid fresh out of comprehensive school than my actual age. :o
    Male. :o
  • ukjoel
    ukjoel Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think they will get rid of them when they realise how much money they are losing. Supermarkets have done a massive job on cutting down on theft but the self scanners are a disaster.

Its not the scanners that are the issue but the way they seem to have one operator for every 4 units and every unit seems to have at least one issue with each customer.

Have seen a couple of examples of people in front of me scanning mid to high price items through and final bill being only a few quid when it should be in the 8-10 times that much.

Presume they had tampered or switched barcodes, wondered if anyone else had seen something similar.

Staff seem so preoccupied with bags, weighing stuff, tapping in barcodes, etc they never seem to check what you put in your bag tallys with whats on the screen.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the support folks.

Ukjoel, it's my understanding that the area where you put your shopping when it's scanned is programmed with the expected weight of the bar code, so it would be hard to find a replacement product which is cheaper, but weighs exactley the same as the more expensive product.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • LemonGrove
    Options
    Raksha wrote: »
    Thanks for the support folks.

Ukjoel, it's my understanding that the area where you put your shopping when it's scanned is programmed with the expected weight of the bar code, so it would be hard to find a replacement product which is cheaper, but weighs exactley the same as the more expensive product.

...in a perfect world! The problem with them is even when an item with a genuine barcode is scanned and bagged, they still present an error. With the amount of errors those machines produce the staff could never check each and every one.

I don't think they'll ever get rid of them either, I think they'll actually phase in more. Only right now they're fairly new and we're stuck with the rubbish, one day they will be better.
    Male. :o
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I think it's unfair that you are not allowed points for simply not using bags.

I bought two items yesterday and just carried them out of the store, but I wasn't allowed a point for not using a Tesco carrier, as I wasn't reusing my own bag :confused:

I didn't bother making a fuss for the sake of one point though.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • CG19a
    CG19a Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    Becles, all the training my cashiers got in my store is that you should get a point for not taking a bag. Say you bought a sandwich and a bottle of coke, no bag means you get 1 point. Its in the stores interest to give you that point too, as we get tracked on how many carrier bags we have "saved."
  • oldone_2
    oldone_2 Posts: 974 Forumite
    Options
    I am going to have fun with this. I don't normally shop in Tesco, and certainly don't have a loyalty card.
    I will pop into Tesco for a newspaper, use self serice, and click on having used 26 of my own bags, and wait to see what happens.:D
  • geordieracer
    Options
    LemonGrove wrote: »
    I love the damned things. But the people who's job it is to stand around them and enter a code every time they mess up have got to be the most grumpiest and rude people I've ever seen in a Supermarket.
    #
    they are awful. The ones in the store opposite liverpool st station are horrible creatures who seem put out by you asking them to sign in so you can buy a beer.

"yeh sorry to interrupt you there but can i pay for me beer?" i always use the cashier now - and that seems to be quicker too
    one of the famous 5:kiss:
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    oldone wrote: »
    I am going to have fun with this. I don't normally shop in Tesco, and certainly don't have a loyalty card.
    I will pop into Tesco for a newspaper, use self serice, and click on having used 26 of my own bags, and wait to see what happens.:D

Why would you do that, other than to be difficult? Maybe the reason the assistants on self service are miserable (and I agree that they do tend to be) is because of people like you? :confused:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • fluffybunnies
    Options
    i personally love the self-service tills, I find the machine to be much mor polite and friendlier than the people on the checkouts (and before people shoot me down in flames i'm a sales assistant myself anyway so can emphasise with been here all day and fed up)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure