PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,202 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    5 for today!

1) Our tickets for Joseph came in the post. I saved them for little son to open and he's very excited!

2) Ordering a new grate for my woodburning stove. The other disintergrated (because of the heat!) about 9 years ago and since then I've had to fight burning logs as they make a bid for freedom.

3) Helping my neighbour out by babysitting one of her boys when she realised she was going to be late home. She has helped me so much in the past.

4) Going to see my Dad as its his 65th birthday today.

5) Taking older son to "Film Night" at school. The PTA run it and they watch a DVD on the big interactive whiteboard in the hall and sit on cushions. And having time with just little son at home for 1.5 hours to play MarioKart.

L
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    1) Visiting a friend this morning in her new house. She really is Superwoman. They moved on Monday, having had two weeks' notice, and she did all her Christmas shopping online before they left the old house in case they couldn't get the internet in this one.
    2) Popping in to see the other Musketeer afterwards. She was in her pjs - at 11.45. Things are not so rosy, as her husband is redundant on 31st December, but we had another cuppa and a good chat. I think they'll be ok
    3) Snoozed for a whole hour this afternoon. Don't tell anyone.
    4) Managed another family tea this evening. Did a roast chicken with almost the last of our potatoes. I shall miss them. Stock is now ready for the freezer and breast meat ready to curry tomorrow.
    5) Sorted out the paperwork on top of the dresser in the kitchen. Although we haven't got much money left this month, due to the car repairs, I didn't find many bills to pay and I feel a lot better now it's done

Have a lovely weekend, everyone
  • Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Here's my five pleasures for Friday:

1. Very good panini for lunch.

2. Turning up with DS2 at my sister's to collect something and finding my B-i-L and neice turning the wood that had been delivered in the middle of their drive into an organised woodpile, so we helped them with the stacking of logs which was fun.

3. Starting to knit a scarf with multicoloured wool and I'm enjoying seeing how it evolves.

4. Watching DS1 in rehearsal for a production that's being put on at Christmas.

5. Reaching the stage of tackling washing and drying the sheets now (am back in control of the clothes again) - still managing to get stuff dried on the line and finished off on the airer. This is good! I'm now wondering if we can make it to December without putting the central heating on.

Kettle's on for my hottie - sweet dreams everyone.

B xxx
  • scotrae
    scotrae Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    Acey ... we got permission to take our boys out of school when they were in Recption class, to take them to a matinee performance of 'Joseph' - they loved it! We got the CD and played it in the car non-stop for months. Enjoy!

My 5 for today:
    1. Having a day off from writing job applications.
    2. Having a very tasty sandwich at a pub to join husband and one of his customers for a lunchtime meeting.
    3. Being declared 'the best mum in the world' for the second day running because I spent 4 hours on a thorough cleaning, tidying and re-arranging mission (and decluttering but I'm not telling HIM that!) for DS. His face was a picture!
    4. Watching Peter Kay's Animated Band video on Children in Need with DH and sons and each shouting with delight when we recognised children's TV characters from our era (Hurrah for the Wombles, George and Zippy!). Fabulous!
    5. Ironing today's washing ready to put away before bedtime. Getting there!
  • bunny_too
    bunny_too Posts: 266 Forumite
    edited 21 November 2009 at 10:13AM
    Options
    Morning everyone, my 5 for today are.

1. Meeting friends in Belfast for xmas shopping,very posh afternoon tea planned in very posh 5 star hotel. Bliss:j and not very mse-ish.

2. Quick os clean of the bathroom, esp attention to the shower tiles.

3. Looking forward to the big tk max in Belfast.:j

4. Did my nails last night, and i think they look as good as when i go to the saloon. very pleased with the result. Lovely Chanel dark dark red polish, i picked up for a pound at a boot sale. :money:

5. Still trying different muffin recipes, this is as bad as the bread roll recipe hunt, and that took nearly a year.

Have a great os day, hugs to all who need them xx:A
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,567 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 November 2009 at 9:46AM
    Options
    5 earlies -
    :hello:Welcome blackcrow, great that you've found this Thread.
    R. was an old Gresham's boy and Blakeney etc one of our/my old haunts.
    Out in the marshy saltcreek runs are two of my boots, sequestered by mud on separate doggy occasions. Sometimes you just have to leave them behind.
    Also noticed another bunny, Liza? has joined the famille lapin, whose number doth increase here...:D
    So, in no particular order[must maintain the status quo]:

1. Waking up in warmth.
    2. Early watch of last Saturday's Oz v. Ireland match - was that an epic in the finest OED sense or not! Thankyou again i-player.
    MASSIVELY LOOKING FORWARD TO MY HAKA BOYS doing the job at Twickers today. Yes, yes - and this is when I really DO want company. Never mind.
    3. Need to trace the music accompanying John Inverdale at start of prog.
    Anyone know? - good and rocky. Second bit was familiar, not the first.
    4. Feeling good about the start of the day and Big Boy presumably ditto - out in the dark>dawn feeding early, then preening atop one of the fading solar lights. These glow, regardless of how little light there's been, even in complete absence of 'solar'. I now realise this is mere logic, but I call it magic and love it every time I open gate on return, or look out in the dark.
    5. Bread already on the rise in airing cupboard, full of sesame, pumpkin, lin-, poppy and sunflower seeds.
    Another 5:o. R4-hearing it's a Cecil Sharp anniversary and immediately laying hands on an old leather satchel full of CS books and related Country Folk Dance material. Some lovely letters laid in - will ebay. Might go, might not - on verra.
    Num!ro cinq[pardonnez-moi la petite astuce] - a natural decision about sth was just suddenly present in my mind as I looked out into that early dawn. So, upward and onward.

Having read this, hope you all look round and suddenly see or hear something that fits this Thread...and many more times all day!
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    :wave: morning everybody - not sure if it was just me, but it felt really warm last night - had to throw the 'big furry blanket' off the bed!

Muppet81 - lol - life here CAN be a laugh a minute ;). Hope you enjoyed your evening out with the Battery Hen Welfare Trust folks - I trust chicken wasn't on the menu :rolleyes:.
    bella - rotten luck about the car :( - I'm sure you could have thought of other things to spend the money on, despite it being from your 'car maintenance budget'.
    Louba - pity that sauce wasn't nice - but hey, it's been used up, there's a space in the cupboard AND a jar for the recycling - to echo the words of the song: 'three out of four ain't bad...........' ;).
    SunnyGirl - Thanks for that - didn't know you could use yoghurt in scone making. Wonder if it works with yoghurt that's 'past its best' :confused: - after all sour milk in scones is really good.
    redsquirrel - welcome :hello: - good to hear that your compost is 'coming along nicely' and also your winter veggies :).
    bails - 'getting on with enjoying life' is definitely a good reason for not popping in ;). good to hear that your mum is giving you unaccustomed praise - mine is the same - always praises others in the family in front of me BUT they all say that she's the same with them too - praises everybody else - in fact one sister is sick to death of hearing my name mentioned! Good job we all know, love and have eventually come to understand her :rolleyes:!
    Caterina - Hope that 'popping in here' helped to kick-start you yesterday morning :).
    RainyWednesday - wd on your work presentation, great news about your ebaying and hope you enjoyed your concert :grin:.
    huston_kw - love the idea of leaving your purse behind while you went to the charity shop - need to try THAT trick myself ;).
    LameWolf - fingers crossed for your NSWeekend and wd on being under-budget this month :j.
    ampersand - lol at 'spherical objects' :rotfl: - fave expression here is 'BOLL-ards' ;) - my sister says it with a very posh accent! Loving your encounters with BigBoy and all the other wildlife where you live :grin:.
    blackcrow - :hello: to you too - love your ds's despcription of sauerkraut - he's spot on smiley-sick007.gif. I've got so much 'stuff' on my window ledge now, that I wouldn't notice anything else put there and certainly not enough room for a recipe book ;).
    nuttybabe - have you noticed in Supernanny - the wealthier the family the worse behaved their kids are :eek:!
    alisong - sounds like you and your friend had a lovely morning with your dogs and a very companionable lunch :).
    ACEY - that was so lovely of you to let your ds open the envelope with the tickets in :grin:. We used to have a Film Night (also organised by PTA) when my kids were young, but it was on Parents Evening. We could all get to chat to teachers while the kids were occupied and didn't get to hear themselves being talked about.
    Patchwork - Wow - your friend is organised. Christmas shopping would have been the very LAST thing on my mind :o. Hope all goes well for your other friend.
    Broomstick - congrats on still not using your c/h :T - mine's on for a couple of hours morning/evening and gets 'fast forwarded' during the day when we've got very young/elderly visitors arriving.
    scotrae - Just rewatched Peter Kay's animation on YouTube - it's fabulous :rotfl:.
    bunnytoo - hope you have a great afternoon in Belfast with your friend :grin:.

Mine for yesterday:

1. 'Hip-Op Guy' and brother had to wait an hour for the newsagent to open, but I didn't hear them coming back. Maybe No2 was too exhausted pushing back up-hill to argue back!

2. Meeting was a good one with presentation of 'Strategy for Older People and their Needs' for the local Health Authority to implement.

3. Cumberland Sausage, creamy pots with caramelised onions mashed in and braised cabbage for evening meal.

4. Lazy evening watching soaps :o followed by 2 episods of 'Frost'.

5. Taken a chicken out of the freezer for tomorrow's evening meal.

6. Sprinkled carpet with shake n vac about an hour ago and need to go and hoover it up now. Expecting OH's sister, her OH and two dk's this afternoon. Also need to tackle the downstairs loo :o.

Must get off and 'show willing'. Hope everybody has a good MSE/OS day and ((((HUGS)))) for all. I'll be in again later for a look-see - love Ollie xxx
  • Louba
    Louba Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    Ollie love your attitude as always :)

1 - OH's sisiter and her boyfriend got engaged! delighted for them :)
    2 - OH has fixed the hole in the wall in the communal area of the flat caused by our neighbours...........they finally owned up and promised to pay OH if he would fix it. Its great to get it fixed and hopefully that will be a bit more Christmas cash
    3 - Had a lovely bit of steak last night as a treat, yum
    4 - planning on heading out to look at a small town outside the city we live in too see if it is soemwhere we would like to live :) Working out where to look for a house in a city you don't know is a bit complicated!
    5 - dragged myself out for a run this morning, feeling quite proud of myself!

Lx
    Mortgage as at March 2010 £225,000 target for December 2012 £170,000. Blog link http://beautifulorpractical.blogspot.com/2010/07/oh-this-is-all-new.html :j
  • funkymonkey849
    Options
    1. Homemade fairy cakes from a spur of the moment baking session last night

2. Eating bread that OH made after admitting that he's not scared of the breadmaker anymore :D

3. Fixing my sewing machine thanks to the OS board!

4. Wearing my new favourite jumper that was actually given to me by a friend who didn't want it anymore

5. Finished a 'free' scarf made out of oddments of yarn that were too small to make a real project out of, and it looks great!
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 21 November 2009 at 4:57PM
    Options
    Hi all

Ampersand, thank you for the link, very interesting. They were talking about a social doula project, where the doulas are volunteers. I have mostly done private (paid) doula work but some volunteer work too when I used to attend births of the women in prison through the charity I work for (paid as an administrator). I had to stop the volunteering because the hospital is so far from me that I could very rarely make it there in the night. Most of their volunteers either have a car or live in or near North London, near the Whittington hospital. It is great that they have volunteer doula schemes for young mothers and women in need. I wish they had this sort of scheme in every hospital!

Anyway, here are my pleasures for yesterday and today:

Friday:

1 - Managed to do a fair chunk of work even if dragging my feet (thank you Ollie, I did manage at last to kickstart myself - just!).

2 - Afternoon out with my friend, visited Goldhawk Road in W London, amazing place, loads of very good textile shops with fabrics at really low prices. Worth remembering.

3 - Still with friend, walked through Shepherd's Bush Market, another brilliant place for bargains and then went to visit Westfield - scary, enormous commercial place - reminded myself why I do not feel comfortable with consumer society, that was the embodiment of it!

4 - Free hot drinks at M&S with my friend using the M&S card vouchers.

5 - Dinner and quiz night at a lovely vegetarian cafe in Walthamstow with DH. Our team won the prize for the best name (Knit Won - not taking credit myself for this, it was made up by one of the other women that we teamed up with).

Saturday:

1 - While DH was at his aikido class I made a batch of scones and a soda bread with my soya kefir.

2 - Used the new pressure cooker for the first time to make lentil barley and veg stew, works a beauty and it only took 15 minutes to cook to perfection. Was fairly expensive (£65 as it would have been £80 but I used the £15 credit from Amazon credit card - and now I have 10 months interest free to pay it back!) but a really worthwhile investment for future savings in time and energy consumption.

3 - Went with DH to a local Christmas fair in a school and bought some hand-knitted items (1 pair of gloves, 3 pairs of socks) for the grand sum of £10, because the woman wanted to let them go rather than go back home with all these bits and pieces.

4 - Earlier on DS invited me in his room to listen to recording of reggae music that he played with his band in his music school, really good stuff. I am proud of my musical boy!

5 - Bowl of stew for lunch after the fair, it is delish!

6 - Just won a pair of tickets for tomorrow to go to a classical concert near Sloane Square, in the Azerbaijan Cultural Festival. Sounds interesting, will report tomorrow or Monday after I have been.

Have a good Saturday evening everybody xxx
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure