PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• redsquirrel80
    Options
    Hi all, not been on Old Style for ages, blame/ thank Ampersand for making me wander back this way. I love this thread though, sometimes we forget to look for the nice simple things in life when there's so much stress and hassle going on (but of course you all know that, that's why you're here!).

So mine for today:

1. Picking the last of my beetroot - they're tiny and I don't know what on earth I'm going to do with them, but they're still my babies!
    2. Putting veg peelings into compost bin and OH's house and squishing it all down and realising that there is definitely composting going on in there (we only set it up a few months back).
    3. Being very pleased that overwintering veg is growing - broad beans, spinach, onions and some sort of broccoli (can't remember what I planted where) are all slowly getting there.
    4. Cuddles from OH and cat!
    5. Looking forward to making a big pot of lentil soup tonight :D

Have a lovely day all.
    Debt@16.12.09 £10,362.38, now debt free as of 29.02.2012.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better."
  • bails
    bails Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I haven't popped in for a little while; I've been busy enjoying life :D

1) enjoying the blue skies that are back again
    2) a lovely message from my mum telling me what a wonderful daughter I am and how much she loves me (she isn't very open with positives)
    3) a lovely compliment from a friend on another thread
    4)loving my work out here and laughing lots for most of my lesson today wih my class
    5) getting a 2nd interview for a job I really want

Hope everyone else is well and happy x

ps beetroot cake Redsquirrel!
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi all,

Just in because I so can'tbe bothered to work this morning, really struggling.

First thing I read was Ampersand's misadventure in the shed :eek:, Poor you (((HUGS))) but could not help going "eeeeeeeeuuuurrgggghhhh" as I was reading, when I read what it could have bitten you, adder or spider (at first I thought perhaps you touched some corrosive liquid). Thanks for giving me a "horror thrill" and I hope your arm gets well soon!

BTW when was the piece on doulaing on Woman's Hour? I would not mind listening to it please. Thanks.

Now I am going to FORCE myself to go back and do some work, as I have already finished the pesky stats and need to crack on with the updates from October.

See you all later with the pleasures list,

xxx
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • RainyWednesday
    Options
    Hi all, hope you are all well

Mine for yesterday...

1 - a really sucessful presentation about a project I am working on done to some work peers, they seemed to find it really interesting :T

2 - bubble and squeak and bacon for tea

3 - Bids being made on my ebay items (I'm a first time seller, it's very exciting)

4 - a pint with a colleague after work (bought by my colleague as well - thanks very much! :beer: )

5 - a night out at a concert tonight with a good friend, really looking forward to it

Have good fridays everyone x
    :beer:
  • huston_kw
    Options
    1) cleaning bathroom with HM product (water, vinegar & lemon juice in spray bottle).
    2) having some LO chicken for lunch.
    3) making chicken stock from chicken (to be made into soup)
    4) taking stuff up to charity (and not taking my purse so didn't buy anything:j)
    5) reading mse OS board for good hints and tips
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi folks.

I haven't posted on this thread for ages, so here goes....

1. Not only a NSD, but also planning a NSWeekend as well.

2. Getting caught up with the pile on wash-by-hand-in-cold-water stuff from the laundry bin.

3. Finding a bottle of cherry brandy liqueur that I'd forgotten about in the cupboard.

4. Still on a high after getting a Rimmel lipgloss in the post yesterday.

5. Having looked at the accounts spreadsheets this morning, we've spent less than usual so far this month.:j
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,566 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 November 2009 at 9:47AM
    Options
    Right- here I go:
    [but, as usual, who knows when I'll end?]

Idiot woman me calling redsquirrel - it was HERE that you speak of beetyrooty. Couldn't find it, so have linked recipe to your Solvent Thread. Apologies and yes, it IS so good to meet up again via MSE.

Caterina: for you, m'dear - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ntnng/Womans_Hour_17_11_2009/

Am about to really and truly try doing 5 simple sentences, short,succinct:

1. Swelling all but gone, finger remains patchy dark, scaly where puncture marks show. A mixture of sore and itch that drives--one-mad ....you know it.
    2. Wild windy walk to dentist...,.and back...and to Dentist...and back.
    Computer had marked long-standing appt. 'postponed' but was worked in to system 2hrs later. NUL POINTS - Hoorah!
    ##################
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

WHERE DID REST OF POST JUST GO?

Rude word.
    Or, curse as heard on Pam Ayres yesterday - 'Spherical Objects'.

3....therefore having 4 opportunities to closely appreciate a total smother leaf/berry cotoneaster, whose tiny pip leaves and ditto berries were all but indistinguishable one from the other, both being ruby red and round. Stunning splayed bracts amid greyish elderberry trunks along cut-through farm border lane to dentist.
    3. Saw Big Boy in field, heading moi-wards, from same field of winter sown green. Like the berries, this year's pheasants also seem extra beau.
    4....this, of course, meant that I annoyed him when I entered gate on one of my misadventurous returns. He gave me the dirtiest look, squawked, started to trot off, but then turned and held his ground. So did I. He started back to the food trail...and therefore me.:D
    'Twas good.
    5.Renewed contact with redsquirrel, just lovely - how good is MSE! Another thankyou, Martin.
    6....and a pm from another mser, entirely out of the blue, kind, friendly, genuine. Just terrific that this sort of thing is possible.
    7. Finally posted things, just 1/2 hour ago. BUT, opened letter box on way out - was going to leave it till rtn. 'Sth to collect' card - goody, my lucky Ebay Chanel EDP. But no, it is P's chq from Isle of Bute already! - can bank it demain and the Chanel is still to look forward to. The ferries from Bute have been sporadic, so P too was surprised when I phoned her just now.
    8. Love my letterbox each time I see it - was £10, down from £24.99 at sproncey Garden Centre, reached by Bus Pass bus, natùrlich. It's purple:D. I like.
    9. This new-sown winter grazing will mean sheep in Spring - I have a cunning NZ plan involving a pheasant inspired food trail towards dear little no. 1 shed and sweet little no. 1 freezer...
    No I don't - have done quite well enough with Mr T misprices in the NZ Lamb department merci.
    10. Ollie - Little Britain on original radio series is being trailered for DAB 7. Sit down, I'll put kettle on, or pour pleasing Libation Other, while we listen.

'Am about to really and truly try doing 5 simple sentences, short,succinct:'

:oWho lets this menteuse loose?:o

Revel in your pleasures, recognise them in their often fleeting nowness.
    To one and all, let the good times roll, all weekend - it's started already.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• blackcrow
    Options
    Hi all, the lovely Ampersand directed me over here so i shall do my best...

1) the bottle of red wine (ooops, is that just HALF a bottle left? goodness, how inconsiderate of it to go wandering off like that without warning...) on the table next to me (with glass, i should add, haven't reached brown paper bag stage yet...). Not sure if it constitutes OS, but i have an interest in archeology and apparantly humans have been consuming alfrocol for thousands of years... so if that isn't old style, what is?
    2) my nearly 9 year old sons' description of tasting food from heir international day at school (they 'got' Austria)... "apple strudel was DE-LISH mum, i had 3 helpings! someone didn't want theirs so i couldn't let it go to waste, could i?" and "weird green vinegar stuff that smelt like dead fish... would that be Sauerkraut, babe?... yeah, it was MANKY, BLEURGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!"
    3)watching my b/f play darts (board on living-room wall above sofa, not a wise place to sit when he is playing...) and my cats trying in vain to catch flying darts in mid air!
    4)finding a recipe book i put down several weeks ago and haven't since managed to stumble upon (even when i really needed to check a recipe idea) in the kitchen, looking at me on the window ledge with all the innocence in the world.
    5)this i am MOST proud of... making tea tonight using up the sad-looking mushrooms and cherry tomatoes in the fridge, plus all the left over pasta shapes in the cupboard, AND writing a shopping list for tomorrow having checked the cupboard and fridge first!
    6) sorry but i had to add this... my son saying "cool! different pasta shapes for tea, mum - 10 out of 10 rating?!" to my leftovers-for-tea OS attempt...

initiating *SMUG* mode... *SMUG* mode initiated...

bc
    never play leapfrog with a unicorn...
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all

Mine for today are:

1 Feeling really good when I woke up this morning even though I had a late night

2 coming down to a clean kitchen and living room

3 Finishing dd's hat to match the scarf I knitted. She loves it and was telling everyone I made it!

4 Getting my new mobile and spending all afternoon play rather than ironing!! :P

5 Having a glass of wine and relaxing watching supernanny thinking how well behaved my little ones are compared to theirs!!!!!

Hope everyone has a good evening.
  • alisong_2
    alisong_2 Posts: 234 Forumite
    edited 20 November 2009 at 10:38PM
    Options
    I LOVE this thread, thanks to everyone who posts!
    Mine for the day are-
    1. Walking dogs with my very good friend this morning, it was lovely and sunny and crisp after the rain first thing so we made the right decision to go!
    2. Sharing lunch with said friend and using h/m soup which I'd made in s/c from chicken carcass stock, jelly from a ham joint, leftover tomato juice, wrinkly veg, dried soup mix and a few bacon off cuts....she said it was the nicest soup she'd ever had and I think I agree, and all made from what might have been wasted food otherwise!
    3.Following that with flapjacks using a recipe found on MSE which includes condensed milk, really yummy (and thank you to the person who posted it, I'm afraid I can't remember the name but they really are good flapjacks).
    4.My son saying 'oh good, I'll have 2 of those' when he came in from school hungry as usual and I said I'd made a box of flapjacks.
    5.Watching the Dr Who special with him tonight, we both love that programme so a 'special' is a treat to be savoured!

Thank you again all you lovely money savers and hope the weekend's good to you, ali x.
    £2 savers club no.107 :j £36 so far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport