PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,202 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Its blowing another gale out there!

5 for today...

1) A leisurely shop in Sainsburys.

2) My younger son telling me he told one of the teachers he is going to see "Joseph" again. (He has selective mutism and the ONLY time he ever spoke to this teacher is when she took his class to see the musical! So she will be quite shocked that he took it upon himself to find her and tell her that today).

3) Getting my dad's birthday present wrapped and remembering the nice card I got for him and saved a while back.

4) My school friend coming round to babysit and having a chat with her.

5) Going out to a local pub for Dad's birthday tea. Its quite a well known pub as they grow a lot of their own food, have farmer's markets and so on.

6) Seeing my first ever Muntjac deer on the way to the pub!

L
  • scotrae
    scotrae Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    Hello. (Here goes- remember Scotrae, focus on the positives!)

1. The lounge still being nice and clear, clean and tidy (don't look at the other rooms!).

2. Managing to get today's job application done ' in time', even though I had to start again this morning :rolleyes:.

3. Baking the last of the little spuds with bacon and leek filling. We bought a homemade jar of plum, ginger and cranberry jelly from a lady at a farm shop food festival recently and I cooked a dollop in with the bacon and leek - a resounding success! DS1 ('I don't EAT baked potatoes!') polished off the lot then asked if his brother was eating the rest of his!

4a. DS2 asking me this morning if I could make some more Hobnobs.

4b. Baking Twinks's Hobnobs (in the oven with baking spuds :A) to squeals of thanks from my big boys. (I've noticed DH helping himself too!)

5. Seeing my boys look so grown up, singing in then chatting and laughing with their lovely friends after their school concert. They're so happy at school these days, which means so much after moving heaven and earth to move them twelve months ago.

I am so looking forward to a day off from job applications tomorrow - lots of therapeutic tidying up!
    Sleep tight everyone.
    x
  • Jevvers
    Jevvers Posts: 648 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi a late post then I must away to bed

1) DD started eating properly for the first time (slow weaning, she's 7 1/2 months) and really went for it, with lots of giggles and gurgles of pleasure

2) Lit a fire in for the first time in our house since buying it a year ago. It's an Edwardian house but the previous owner had a gas fire which we took out and replaced with an original lovely tiled fireplace. Wonder how many decades since there was an open fire in this room? Cosy

3) Bought a lovely colourful (in fact I may go so far as "jolly"!) skirt in Oxfam for a fiver

4) Used a voucher which I earned with doing online surveys to buy Christmas presents on Amazon

5) Wind in the trees on the park
    Mortgage 1: £243,034 0.99%, i/o, ends May 2026 MFW date 20 Aug 2020
    Mortgage 2: [STRIKE]£166,966[/STRIKE] £159,066 0.99%, repaymt, ends Oct 2033
    Total: £402,100
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    edited 20 November 2009 at 1:23AM
    Options
    Ev'ning all :wave: - wild and wicked out there again tonight - brrrrrrr

billy858 - sorry to hear you've been feeling 'down' ((((BIG HUGS)))) for you. well done on getting a bit of your kitchen painted - great use of an empty day ;).
    Muppet81 - I have passed that farmhouse - when we were on the way to York for a day out. If we go again, I'll give a 'mental wave' in your direction ;). Good to hear that your dad enjoyed his visit with you and you had an opportunity to visit your mum's grave.
    Louba - wtg on your fuel saving this month :T - good for the pocket, the environment AND the exercise :j.
    Caterina - wd on the aerobics class and fingers crossed that the scales are showing a true loss :grin:.
    newlywed - it's good to hear you're feeling a bit better and wd to your sister at getting you out for coffee :grin:. wd to your OH as well for looking after you so well and pulling his way in the home :T.
    Raspberry Swirl - thanks for that hint about oil rather than solid/soft margarine/butter and also about folding rather than beating the mix :T.
    culpepper - :j that your pressies have arrived and can be put away. My OH's came a few days ago and I had to do a 'grab and run' with it as he was behind the front door at the time.
    SunnyGirl - that is so rotten about your OH's job - hope something turns up soon for him. Well done on rescuing the nasty Dahl and creating a wonderful Soup :rotfl:. The scones made with yoghurt, do you just substitute the same quantity of yoghurt for the milk in the recipe? Good to hear that m-i-l is now firmly ensconced in her new home environment.
    ampersand - :eek: at what happened to your hand/arm - hope you're now recovering well ((((HUGS)))). The auction sounds fascinating and what a lovely story about the butterfly - let's hope it survives the winter :). I love that 'confessions' thread as well - haven't posted for ages though - should show my face in there a little more really.
    Rummer - 'chocolate with soap(s)' sounds wonderful ;) :rotfl:.
    nuttybabe - wd on the Lemon Drizzle Cake - that's the favourite for all my family. In fact, it will be forming the basis of quite a few Christmas pressies this year ;).
    Broomstick - how considerate of your ds to bring you a cuppa in bed :).
    Patchwork - :grin: on resurrecting your washing-line and getting laundry dried - amazing for November, isn't it.
    ACEY - well done to your younger son for 'volunteering' information to his teacher. He must be really excited by the idea of going to the show and also love and trust his teacher very much indeed. I've never seen a Muntjac 'in the wild' though I've seen a couple in a Rare Breeds Farm - delightful creatures :).
    scotrae - well done on the baking success and good luck with the job applications.
    Jevvers - wtg to your little one on enjoying the weaning now she's got the hang of it ;). And wd you on your Amazon Voucher from your surverys.

Mine for today:

1. Good response from senior management about my suggestion to use 'Community Payback' to improve our shrubbery areas.

2. Morning visit from DS1 for morning chat.

3. Managed to bake a cake for visit from OH's sister, her OH and their two dd's at the weekend. Square cake (not too deep) topped with pink buttercream and pink/white mini marshmallows. It was Charlotte's 6th Birthday yesterday but I didn't get to see her due to work and then visiting DD. Not exactly a Birthday Cake, BUT she'll love it :grin:.

4. HM Carrot, Coriander and Lentil Soup with Crusty Bread for evening meal with toasted teacakes later.

5. Have taken Cumberland Sausages out of the freezer for tomorrow evening. Already got some pots peeled and some leeks in the fridge drawer.

6. Two lots of laundry washed and dried on the airer/radiator rails today - including 2 big bathtowels.

7. Feel much better after DD 'did my head' yesterday evening - not done any scratching today :o. My hair is actually in great condition, maybe the oiliness of the lotion was good for it as well :rolleyes:.

Need to get off to bed, so I'm ready for my early start in the morning. Be glad when the weekend comes and I can have a proper lie-in :rotfl:. Nitey nite all - take care and sleep well - ((((BIG HUGS)))) all round - love Ollie xxx
  • bunny_too
    Options
    Morning everyone, my 5 for today are.

1. Nsd.

2. Baking, trying to make the perfect muffin.:j

3. Good clean around the house, want to have a lazy weekend.

4. £10 turkey from mr S, in freezer for mini xmas, 1st weekend in Dec.:money:

5. Feeling just great after getting hair done yesterday. Hope the feeling lasts for a while.:D

Have a great os day, hugs to all who need them. xx:A
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    edited 23 November 2009 at 11:38PM
    Options
    Hello everybody - feeling as though I've not been to bed at all this morning :confused:. The wind has been 'buffetting' around us (we're a corner house with a long open road to the rear of us - it acts like the 'flue' in a chimney when the wind blows') all night - heaven alone knows what it's been like 'chez-Muppet'.

bunny too - good for you on your feel-good hairdo and good luck with your hunt for the perfect muffin recipe :T!

Just wanted to share my 'wake-up' call this morning. Heard much commotion, over and above the noise of the wind, outside the bedroom window in the dark at 6.30am. There were two of my 'extra-support needs' tenants - one of them only out of hospital a couple of days from his 2nd hip-replacement operation (known locally as the Hip-Op Guy!) in his wheelchair. being pushed along the road by his, also 'extra support needs' younger brother (deaf/difficult to understand speech). I think they were heading for the local newsagent (which doesn't even open until 7.00-7.30am). The shouting/argument that was going on was difficult to understand, but I gather that the one in the wheelchair wasn't happy with the way the other one was pushing 'his wheels'. Don't know if they made it to the shop OR what happened when/if they got there BUT I've an awful feeling that the result is going to be that No2 will return home alone and No.1 will get left in the street somewhere :confused:. I'll probably hear later that No.1 has hit No.2 with one of his walking sticks.

Oh Happy Days! I'm going for a shower, before my buzzer starts ringing :grin:. Got a hectic day ahead - and that's WITHOUT the 'Lone Ranger and Tonto' playing me up :rotfl:! speak again later - love Ollie xxx
  • Muppet81
    Muppet81 Posts: 951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all :A

Ampersand - so sorry to hear about your bite. Hope you are feeling more comfortable now.

Ollie - When you are passing and give me a 'mental wave' I promise to wave back. Just giggling at your story about your 2 tenants :rotfl:Poor luvs!

Scotrae and Nuttybabe - :A Stay positive. Hugs to you and to anyone else in need.

Up early today to get sorted as I am going to get my hair done (roots touched up) at 9.00.

Looking forward to todays pleasures.

1) Seeing no grey!
    2) Out for a meal tonight with the members of the Battery Hen Welfare Trust group I do volunteer work with. We have never had a social meeting before and I have not met a couple of them before as we tend to work on different rescue dates. Not sure that we will recognise each other though in 'normal' clothes and not stinking of chicken muck.
    3) Mr Muppet is hoping to work at home this afternoon so I will have his company.
    4) The house is nice and tidy as I did a thorough job ready for my Dad's 'royal' visit....... so I don't have much to do today. Yippeee!
    5) So, with no cleaning and no evening meal to make I am going to enjoy my free time by losing myself in a book.

Bye all and have a good day.
    x
    Thank you for this site :jNow OH and I are both retired, MSE is a Godsend
  • bellaquidsin
    Options
    Oh Ollie your job sounds so much fun.

Yesterday's pleasures:-

1. The bad news - we have an electrical fault on the car which could cost £100's to fix. ~ The good news - we have enough money in the car maintenance/repair fund to cover it.

2. So happy that we budget for everything. Whilst this does sometimes mean we go without things on the way, we usually have the funds for emergencies.

3. The whole house cleaned and tidied thanks to help from DH.

4. Washing dried on the line - again.

5. Nice 'blowy' walk to the shops.

Bella.
    A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth. Luke 12 v 15
  • Louba
    Louba Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    Oh Ollie - what a start to the day!

Nothing so exciting for me this morning.

1 - used up another jar of sauce that cme from OH's cupboard, it was really horrible........but there is more space in the cupboard now :rolleyes: I'm with Scotrae on looking for the positives!
    2 - I'm loving the new bok club book, I started it last night and have barely been bale to put it down
    3 - went to a seminar for work last night which turned out to be really useful - and they had lovely food.....and wine at the end!
    4 - OH for being unflappable even when I am being irrationally moany :o
    5 - looking forward to the weekend :)

Have a lovely Friday

Lx
    Mortgage as at March 2010 £225,000 target for December 2012 £170,000. Blog link http://beautifulorpractical.blogspot.com/2010/07/oh-this-is-all-new.html :j
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Ollie Re: The scones. Yes I think you use yoghurt instead of milk/egg mix. 2 average size pots came to 6fl oz in the jug although I did add a tiny bit extra milk as the mix was dry at the bottom. Thanks for your good wishes :A I imagine there's never a dull moment with your tennants :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure