PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    edited 4 July 2016 at 1:09AM
    Options
    Wow, that was a catch up and a half.
    Mhags, I have enjoyed the Tassie FB postings, huge hugs for what lies ahead.
    Ampersand, what an expletive nuisance. Hope things dry out ok.
    Lainey and others, thank you for the good wishes for Boo. She is worth every penny.

A collection.
    1. Wales. Everyone is suddenly Welsh, aren't they, and not just here. (This is a GOOD THING). Well, I always was, and always will be, even if an Estonian passport does look tempting.
    Cymru Am Byth. Yma O Hyd.

2. I made my own hot chocolate powder and it worked really well. Supplies were running low, but having checked the ingredients list, I had them all - whey powder, cocoa, sugar, and thanks to coffee whitener, glucose syrup and coconut oil. My morning treat is a mocha, sometimes two, from my Nespresso machine.

3. Lots of useful little things have arrived, many for family pets, leads, nail clippers. For me too, I now have hemp protein powder to make energy balls with, found a recipe on the Net. Hemp protein powder can also be used as a flour replacement, though you can eat it raw. It tastes OK.

4. My cooking mojo went, but I had the necessary for a roast dinner involving sausages, jacket wedges and onions, literally 10 minutes prep, inc microwaving the jacket pots. Hot and tasty.

5. The prospect of a meal out with friends on Tuesday, lovely.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Smiley87
    Smiley87 Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here's my five for Sunday:

1. Walking downstairs into our newly decorated front room
    2. Walking the dog together yesterday morning (don't often get chance because of the hours we work)
    3. Seeing the savings for a house deposit increase
    4. Bacon sandwich and ketchup :)
    5. Early night
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    5 Would had gloated like mad yesterday with the rosemary infused roast tatties, but they have been reduced to nothing! Rubs Tum. Apron put on the side until later. Now does anyone else have jam with chicken? You does not know what you are missing!

4 If you're in the colonies, we no longer tax the tea!

3 Watched the ladies play cricket yesterday, while roasting the tatties and the chicken.

2 Night will be watching the speedway.

You cannot rerun your experience in life, so it is not worth recording!
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 July 2016 at 11:59AM
    Options
    back in edinburgh after very busy long weekend in York (DDRA - Dorothy Dunnett Readers Association). There were 46 of us on the Friday which we spent at Gray's Court, fantastic lecture on the tudors in the morning, bawdy tudor songs on old instruments in the afternoon, slap up dinner in the long room), 44 staying onto Saturday (coach trip to Shandy Hall to hear about Laurence Sterne then onto Kilburn to see the Mouseman furniture museum), and 24 for Sunday (morning boat trip before we dispersed), all organised by one of our members from Lincoln.
    1) Reunion with old friends - always fab to catch up with old friends
    2) Making of new friends - a stranger is just a friend you've not yet met
    3) spotting the mice on Robert Thompson's furniture
    4) doing the Kilburn fund-raiser quiz - very much a group effort, and friend and I offered to do something similar for next year's DDRA AGM
    5) suggesting to sister (who lives in Chesterfield) she comes over to York for Sunday afternoon. She and her youngest were waiting in Betty's for us (where mrmhags I had the most delicious vanilla slice EVER). Then we did the York cat trail and generally potted around. Very lovely to see them both.
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Some pleasures for the weekend,

So many baby apples on our tree, looking forward to all those crumbles and pies already.

Biked down to the village to post birthday card and wind was so strong hardly had to pedal on the way home.

Good nights sleep on Saturday night so woke up refreshed on Sunday morning, usual routine of Archers omnibus and bacon butties.

Driving into horsey town afterwards to get some petrol, car load of mega excited Disney princesses alighting and disappearing into hall.

Afternoon spent with Mum in her garden, award winning cheese scones consumed and surplus brought home.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    1) A lovely trip to the arboretum this morning, really nice to just go and walk under the trees and enjoy being there.

2) CAKE!!! his was lemon and blueberry and mine was date and toffee, Mmmmmmmm!

3) Just rescued a tiny starling youngster from inside the woodstove, heard a scrabbling and looked in and there he was sat at the back. Caught him in an old towel, he didn't struggle or squawk and just unfolded the towel on the lawn and he flew away none the worse, bet he'll have a tale to tell back at the nest tonight!

4) We've decided that a move west closer to the girls would be sensible and actually decided to look for a bungalow, progress is made!

5) Discovered the Carribean T20 cricket on the TV yesterday, like the IPL which we both enjoy so much but with Carribean pazazz!!!
  • Smiley87
    Smiley87 Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not a fab day so finding my five for today before I start dwelling on it:
    1. Free cake!
    2. Got everything that I wanted to do at work done
    3. Heard a new song that I like on the radio
    4. My dad brought some goodies from the local bakery for us to share
    5. Starting a new book later tonight
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pleasures for sunday

1. DS out on a course from 8.30am to 4pm then went straight to volunteering until 4am Monday, quietest birthday ever but enjoyed a cuppa with him before he left and opened my cards

2. flowers from DS smell lovely

3. sunny afternoon took some lunch and went and sat over by the local pond and read the sunday papers. watched the baby moorhens - just bundles of fluff !

4. treated myself to an ice-cream

5. beef stew and dumplings for dinner
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Quick pleasures for today:

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Bigger son had a paediatrician appointment so we had breakfast at M and S.

3) Not a pleasure was Kwikfit managing to shear off one of the wheel nuts on the car. :-/ They then claimed to be unable to fix it - 2 hours before it was due for its re-MOT and minutes before bigger son's appointment... Pleasure was a tiny local garage using various tools and brute force to remove the nut altogether and change the tyre in the nick of time.

4) Bigger son's appointment went OK in that the paediatrician thinks his chest pains are nothing serious. The ECG showed all sorts of anomalies but he is going to ignore it - the leads don't work on bigger son as he is so thin, the chest sticky on pads are only a mm or 2 from his heart! The leg ones had to be re-positioned as he was too hairy :-D He's got to wait until he is 16 (not long) for an echo cardiogram. If under 16, we'd have to go to Birmingham Children's Hospital. In better news, his hernia has finally healed over - 12 years after it popped out and I had to shove it back in quickly!

5) Work was OK and I wasn't there long.

6) Car was re-MOTd. Then took it for wheel aligning so it has been an expensive day.

7) Popped to see the hens (2 egg day).
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Quick hello from the ferry terminal. Island life about to end :(
    Heading back to reality with a bang tomorrow

Yesterday we had pouring rain. Picked son up from Glenorchy. He'd wild camped on Mt Wellington ...because he can....even though he he had a warm bed!

Back to cottage and lunch of egg rolls and a wee snooze.

Then out to friends house in Hobart for dinner. We had the most delicious roast dinner, with chocolate cake and profiteroles for pud. It was so tasty and so nice not to have to cook.

Today we had a very twisty and bumpy drive up the east coast of tasmania ....thank goodness when we got to tarmaccademed road.

Found a fabulous beach that Haggis had a good race along and then we all raced back to car as rain came back on.

Stopped for late lunch of monster waffles , they were huge. Shared!

Ferry to go home .

Can't be on holiday for ever I suppose. Catch up when I can x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family