PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 July 2011 at 11:49PM
    Options
    Please may I have cake recipe, too? One of our Charity Shop supporters took about 10 mins plucking up courage to ask if I would make a little gluten-free sth for his daughter next Tues, when I handed over an Invitation/Thankyou chit for a Celebration Cake cutting next week. They've loved the things I make each week, but can never take some home for daughter.
    Suppose I should look on mse...)))
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evening all.

ampersand - thanks for reporting that rogue post, and thanks to the Board mods for removing it. :T

Dee - hope your OH feels better soon (or 'get well now' as we say around here! ;))
    mhagster wrote: »
    Well, dull, damp & chilly sums todays weather up I think.

That's actually summed up the weather in Portsmouth for most of the day, too, and it's supposed to be summer here! :(

sparrer - OUCH! is really about all I can say. I hope your DD gets her poor fingers fixed quickly.

Mine for today:

1) NSD.

2) My habit of taking a packed lunch to work (in true OS fashion ;)) meant I didn't have to go out in the pouring rain to get something to eat. :)

3) The closure of the News of the World. Apologies to any fans (if it has any left), but I can't help feeling that the world will now be, in a very small way, a better place.

4) Managing to prevent myself from giving sarcastic answers to some of the daft questions I've been asked today. My favourite was 'has my head of department made a decision on x?' - I somehow resisted the temptation to reply 'I don't know - have you asked him?'. ;)

5) A free bottle of salad dressing in my veg box today. I'll never turn down a freebie, particularly an edible one! :D

6) Egg curry for dinner tonight, which is healthy and extremely tasty - what more can you ask?

Have a pleasant evening, all.
  • bellaquidsin
    bellaquidsin Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Five for today:-

1. House cleaned through with help from DH.

2. Lovely homegrown salad with salmon for lunch.

3. Lovely homemade yogurt with tinned oranges for afters.

4. Finding some wool I've had for ages goes well with a skirt I bought recently.

5. Four x 2 portion cottage pies from 500g mince and 4ozs lentils.

Bella.
    A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth. Luke 12 v 15
  • Ladyhawk
    Ladyhawk Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all.

Sparrer - hope your DD's fingers are on the mend! Poor thing!

1) Working in the new London office and it was quiet... so I unashamedly slacked off for most of the morning.

2) One of my colleagues came in just before lunch so we went to the pub for a yummy lunch of baked camambert, chips and cider!! Decadent loveliness.

3) Called the Purchasing Director in Australia to ask if she needed anything further from me. She wasn't there but I left a message. She tried to call me right back and sent me an email to say she couldn't get through on the phone but will come back to me next week. Fingers crossed!

4) Went to the Houses of Parliament for the launch of one of our clients sustainability strategy. I ended up chatting to my MP and didn't realise until afterwards who he was. I must say... he didn't inspire me with confidence and I definitely won't be voting for him next time (not that I would as I don't agree with his party's politics). I also spoke the the MP for the other side of my town and he was much friendlier. I escaped early as I knew no-one and I feel very uncomfortable starting conversations with people I don't know.

5) Picked up some veg plants from a very lovely freecycler - celery, sorrel and globe artichokes... yum! I think that the artichokes may take over my tiny garden!

6) Tomorrow is Friday...so nearly the weekend. I just don't want to go to work tomorrow. :( I want to get the thrill, enjoyment and passion back for my job but I just have no idea how to go about it. :(

Night night everyone... sleep well

L
    Man plans and God laughs...
    Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all

Mine for today

1. Walk to see the sea (and no rain again)

2. Beds airing and kitchen clean (and hubby packed up) before school run

3. A Good morning in my childcare course, was very interesting

4. Bumped into kids headmistress today and she said she was reading through the reports and all my 3 mine have good reports and how nice it is that a whole family has good ones. :D and ds1 got 14 out of 14 in his spellings. :D

5. In Family seal after school the kids made pasta bake and there was so much food leftover that they let mums make one as well so we all had a free tea today. yay!
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,168 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Well, a day of ups and downs, as ever!

1) Went to court. Got absolutely everything the boys asked for - right down to the 3 then 4 night stays they wanted during the summer holidays! Such a fiasco, though. The ex only wrote his statement at the end of June, promising he had secured himself a flat and stating he had broken up with his girlfriend (the boys won't see her). But today he could produce no tenancy agreement and basically doesn't have a house/flat still and says he hasn't broken up with his girlfriend at all! According to my solicitor/barrister, judges don't bounce around and shout - but ours did!

I got cross examined on what the boys had asked for but it was only 10 minutes. I was once cross examined for over 3 hours...

2) Left court and went to the nearest music shop and bought some rosin (for the violin bow) and the "Summer" part of the Four Seasons...

3) Went to the Cathedral for tea and a panini.

4) The boys were picked up from school by the lady who was my next door neighbour when I was little. They played with the Action Men there that I played with 30 years ago with her sons!

5) Went swimming after tea with sons and my brother.

6) Played the Four Seasons (well, Summer). It's going to take a lot of work and I need a new D string. Some bits flowed, others I have forgotten completely. Still, only the neighbours could hear so it doesn't matter if it was excruciating for Mr and Mrs N...

Hope everyone has a good evening.
  • Carolyntia
    Carolyntia Posts: 363 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all :wave:

sparrer - sorry to hear about your daugther, I hope she's not in too much pain tonight
    ampersand - well done in reporting the dodgy post...I saw it whilst browsing at work

1) More flirty texts from Mr B :D
    2) Very quiet morning
    3) Good risk assessment course this afternoon.
    4) Taking packed lunches every day this week
    5) 4 NSD's so far this week
    6) Resisting the free birthday cake today....there's far too much free stuff...I'm getting fat :eek:
    7) Managing to snaffle the nectarines in the fruit basket at work :o

Hope you all had a good day. Hugs to those that need them

C x
    As my dad always used to say 'Just because you've got the money doesn't mean to say you have to spend it all at once'
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 July 2011 at 12:02AM
    Options
    Carolyntia - woohoo on the flirty texts :) Love a bit of flirting :):)
    Ladyhawk - big hugs hon, go to work with a big smile on your face knowing that the people in Australia are keen, well they certainly sound it! Fingers and toes crossed here that you'll get a fab new job
    Frith - stupid exOH thinking he could swagger in and get his own way, glad the judge got so irate with him, about time too, that man tries to put you through hell far too often!! Now, if you need to irritate your neighbours, OH, DD and I will come over - OH is learning the sax, DD can strum a guitar in a fashion and I could play the piano in a Les Dawsonesque style or get my old flute out!!

Today started out blissfully but I'm not feeling great now :(

1. Woke up full of beans and got lots done around the house and managed to be beaten soundly by DD at Uno before school
    2. Picked up a parcel from the post office so now have a phone holder for the car so that OH won't have to sit with it on his lap all the way through France!
    3. Had a nice and totally unsleazy compliment from the old man in the hardware shop when I popped in. Makes me want to go and buy things from him again rather than going to the BnQ type places :)
    4. Work was better again - although one of my bosses who annoyed me the other day hasn't yet seen fit to apologise/acknowledge that I was actually blooming good at my job! Never mind....lovely boss knows I was right :)
    5. DD, OH and I went for a great swim at our local pool, it made her week to have OH with us :)
    6. Not particularly MS, but I joined a slimming club this evening and have paid for 10 weeks in advance so that I'm more likely to go! Good points are the fact that by buying 10 weeks, I get 2 more free (woohoo!) and I also received a nice looking recipe book as a special offer (yay), and the fact that I am going to stick to it, as I have the right mental attitude tonight to get beautiful again.

Unfortunately swimming or just walking in the water earlier has really hurt my leg to the point where I nearly took myself off to A&E to ask for an x-ray this evening whilst at the diet group, but then I decided against it as it's a bit far to drive with a sore ankle :( I've taken as many painkillers as I can but am still sitting here wanting to chop it off and don't want to go back to bed and toss and turn and wake OH up. I've got the physio tomorrow but may also try and get a doctor's appointment for better painkillers/advice on treatment/x-ray. Anyway.....at least I know that I'm getting some form of treatment tomorrow, and my dad is coming to pick DD up for the weekend, so at worst, I'll go up too and be pampered for a few days if I have done something silly to it!

Just remembered another pleasure: Ampersand and her kind offer of a cookbook for mince recipes :) xxx
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 July 2011 at 11:36PM
    Options
    Grateful thanks from DD and me for your kind thoughts, it's heartwarming to know so many people gave her a thought today. Spent the morning going from one dept to another but have to say they were all very efficient, which leads me to

1. Thank God for the NHS (yet again!) What the treatment would have cost elsewhere doesn't bear thinking about :eek:
    2. Found a free parking space immediately! Amazing as the hosp if having building works done and places are at a premium.
    3. A neighbour heard I was planning to ask the council to take my sofas away and asked if she could have them. They're in a bit of a mess where the cats used them as scratching posts but she's getting a kitten shortly so she doesn't mind that. Another neighbour doesn't have much furniture so Neighbour 1 has given her old suite (too big for her lounge) to Neighbour 2. A perfect three-way transaction, and saved me the cost of disposal :D
    4. It rained just enough for me not to have to water. I'm pleased, of course, but I've just paid to have an outside tap installed and haven't had the chance to use it yet!
    5. Organised some trips and visits for DM's holiday with me in a fortnight's time - all freebies, naturally :)

Sleep well
    S
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 July 2011 at 1:05AM
    Options
    Well, it's already tomorrow.
    sparrer - yes to all you say re:NHS, but this will have taxed you, too, when you have had a couple of bad days. Take care.
    Ladyhawk - sounds very promising for Oz. We might have you there, just as Savingforoz rtns.
    Don't overdo it, kittkins - it's a wimmin thing, I know; just don't risk anything.

Mangled day, but do I care when -

1. NOTW has shut down.
    2. NOTW has shut down.
    3. NOTW has shut down.
    4. NOTW has shut down.
    5, NOTW has shut down.
    ..............?????.............
    No, I do not. I rejoice, notwithstanding that some dodgy genetically modified phoenix form will undoubtedly arise. Interesting too, Hugh Grant's reaction: ' closure is a cynical manoeuvre.' Also, there is the undermining of judicial process as a new bandwagon to jump on, whether or not verdicts were merited.
    It's barely begun.
    Especially hear HG on Thatcher and all PM's since, here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14052690 [at 1min17secs in]

So, overall I'm having another 5[aka 6] to celebrate:

1. Great, laugh out loud play on R4 this afternoon, with Stephanie Cole:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01292v9/Afternoon_Play_Life_Begins_at_Crawley/
    2. Some really lovely pm's.
    3. Dropped book off to M and happily had 2 percolated coffees with sugar - much needed late afternoon lift. Unusual for me. So good to see his new rel.ship is blooming. Also know X will teach me mah jong - long, long wanted.
    4. Late everything meant ditto Mr T arrival, just as massive reductions on F&V were happening. 90% and more off! - thrilled I had enough to really cash in and drop off organic just about e'th to L en route back - grapes, new pots, Helga beans[my fave], broccoli upon which BOGOF still worked, even @ 10p, sproncy salad bags, masses more. Loverley - and L. thrilled to bits.
    5. Was shown, and allowed to handle, a selection of X's wonderful Studio pottery collection.. . .a great love for me, always. Some wonderful pieces - a privilege to be this close, handle, stroke glazes against cheek, share talk about. There is much more to unpack yet, to which I look forward.
    5. A hare startled from grass verge, v. close.

Something else, possibly....
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure