PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Options

Comments

• Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Silly, busy few days. I wanted to post again last night but got interrupted during my catch-up reading session and other things took over.

Anyway, my five for Thursday (as well as the NOTW news of course :D):

1. Reading lots of the simplifying life thread and following up blog links. Lovely.

2. Doing another chunk of decluttering at home.

3. Listening to a radio programme about Mervyn Peake's life.

4. Having a go at making leek and mushroom risotto in the slow cooker. It was pretty good for a first go but needs tweaking. We had it with watercress and red lettuce salad with orange dressing. It all looked very designer-ish on the plate.:D

5. Some good conversations with DS1.

Sweet dreams
    B x
  • Tealady_2
    Tealady_2 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Morning

Pleasures for yesterday which was a much better day, thank you for all the hugs,

1. Getting to grips with the new exec report I have to produce each month.
    2. Friend has offered me a free bike for DD, as she has outgrown hers this is great.
    3. Calling in to see a friend who has been very ill and he was looking so much better. More importantly had a much more positive attitude to his illness.
    4. Cuddle with my friends beautiful 2 week old baby. She is so beautiful and content, nearly made me broody which is almost an impossibility :D
    5. Walked for a couple of hours tonight whilst DD was at guides. Haven't done any walking for over a week so nice to get out plus its free :money:

Hugs to all who need them
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mine for yesterday

1. Huge Grunt on QT about the NOTW fiasco.
    2. Satisfactory outcome regarding my work situation - got it in writing that the problems were not caused by me, or in fact had anything to do with me,
    3. Got most of my office cleared for the big move in august
    4. Cheese and lentil loaf for tea - yummy
    5. DD finsihed her work experience and her "supervisor" said lovely things.

Off for a run in between the rain showers.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Had a good day yesterday.

1. NSD

2. Good pilates class and my back feels so much better.

3. Good chat with DS2 about his day - it doesn't happen too often.

4. Meeting a friend while walkng my dog and having a chat.

5. DH arriving home earlier than normal.

Sparrer hugs to your DD and also congratulations on finding a car park space.

My recipe for rhurbarb crumble icecream is

1lb trimmed rhurbarb
    15 fl oz double cream
    3oz plain white flour
    2oz butter
    2oz brown sugar or granulated if I don't have any.
    1/2tsp ground ginger

Combine the flour, butter, brown sugar and ginger into pea sized bits of dough and then spread evenly into baking tin.

Cut rhurbarb into 1/2in lengths and put into shallow baking dish with sugar and ginger .

cook crumble mixture for 10 mins and rhurbarb for about 30 mins at 190c, 375f gas 5.

Leave both to cool. This is where rhurbarb should be processed to a smooth puree but I generally don't bother as more washing up.

Put rhubarb mixture in freezer box (ice cream tub) and mix in crumble mixture after breaking it up into pea sized pieces again, and mix in the cream. Stir well.

Freeze for 3-4 hours then whisk it and refreeze for 3 hours and then whisk again. Then refreeze.

It freezes solid and does need to be left in fridge for about 1/2 hour before eating
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you Villagelife for that recipe! Will give it a go.....funnily enough I made a rhubarb crumble tonight!

Well another dull, dreich day over here! Chilly & damp. NOTW has made the news over here!

1.Early start at work again. Busy day but I really enjoy it! :)
    2.Saw the tiny wrens & the funny ducks & 3 baby magpies! They make me smile :)
    3.Home & out for lunch with the kids.....then we went to Aldi for our shopping. I bought another chest of drawers that were reduced and a rug that was on special and my usual shopping.......then I realised I just have a small car! 4 people, 1 large rug, I large flat pack box and the shopping.............squeeeeeeezed in! Just!
    4.DS built the drawers for me & I swapped cushions round to co-ordinate with my rug! I washed out the fridge & food cupboards and made soup and a rhubarb crumble (RTC rhubarb!) and an apple & pear crumble.....rescued fruit from work as it would have been going in the bin otherwise. Also came home with box of remaining cakes that were left yesterday!
    5.After dropping DD1 off to meet her friends, I am in for the night! Very glad it's Friday & looking forward to the weekend.
    6.Phoned my mum for a wee blether!

Have a good day x
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello all

My blessings for today:

1 - Amazingly good workout, indoors because of the rain but very thorough, concentrated on weights and lunges and really feeling I am making progress.

2 - Although the rain was falling hard this morning it has now cleared so I could hang the washing outdoors (will have to take it in before I go out but at least it has got a good airing).

3 - More runner beans on the plants, nearly ready to be picked

4 - Everybody liked this batch of homemade baked beans, DD said this is the best ever!

5 - Outing with DH tonight, cheap theatre ticket and cheap Chinese meal in town.

Have a good day all x
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evening all.

villagelife - that ice cream recipe sounds so, so good. :drool: For once I'm almost grateful that my freezer is so full as it means I don't have room to try making it: if it's anywhere near as good as it sounds I'd scoff the lot, which wouldn't do wonders for my diet! ;)

Kittikins - I really hope your poor leg's OK.

Frith - I'm so pleased to know that the court listened and gave your boys what they asked for, despite your ex's silly games.

1) It's Friday! :j

2) HM bread with HM jam for breakfast. Yum.

3) A colleague complimenting me on how tasty my HM sandwiches looked - unfortunately just as I was biting into one which meant I couldn't respond for a few moments! :rotfl:

4) If you'll excuse the unpleasant subject - the mog seems to be completely better and over his tummy troubles. :)

5) HM ready meal for dinner - my favourite, lasagne. :drool:

6) There'll be a glass of wine to go with it, too, from one of the free bottles I got when I changed my energy supplier last year.

7) It's Friday! :j (I've had a bad week - can you tell? ;))

Have a lovely Friday evening, all.
  • bellaquidsin
    bellaquidsin Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Today's five:-

1. Made a bilberry pie ready for my visitors on Sunday and a teeny tiny one to try, mmmmm....,

2. Cooker on the blink so made yummy scones in the Remoska.

3. Lovely salad and cold boiled bacon for lunch.

4. Fish and homegrown new potatoes with home grown parsley in a sauce. Is it true that it only grows where the woman rules the house?

5. Thanks to kindness of DH, I have managed to keep off my feet more today, hence my 'poorly' foot doesn't feel quite so uncomfortable.

Bella.
    A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth. Luke 12 v 15
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya

Mine for today

1. First night of not getting ds2 up for a wee and he had a dry night! Yay! Good job as I havent been able to hang any washing out all day. :D

2. Kitchen clean, washing on, beds airing before school run.

3. A lovely walk whilst the sun came out for an hour this morning and then running around like a lunatic cleaning rest of house before picking ds2 up from nursery.

4. Popped to aldi and got loads of their cheap veg and some peperoni cheap.

5. Kids made thier own pizza's for tea and we watched Hoodwinked. They have behaved so well I am letting them stay up a bit later. I might even get a lie in tomorrow!!! :D
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,168 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    VJ'smum - it's taken me 12 hours to work out who Huge Grunt is!

5 for today (Friday).

1) Home/school partnership lady came round.

2) Went to mum and dad's for a cup of tea.

3) Booked a builder in! So excited. I've lived here 12 years and haven't been able to afford to have one tiny thing done until this year :-) So he will be coming in the next few weeks to sort out the fireplace, replaster the living room and tile the floor in there. I don't know how we're going to manage as this is a 2 up 2 down and the only door to outside opens into the living room... I thought it would be in the summer holidays but looks like it will happen in term time. Hmmm.

4) Good school reports for both boys today.

5) Just watched Horrible Histories with the boys on iplayer.

Supposed to be going to Bath tomorrow as mum and dad are going down there to see my aunty. Trying to get my boys interested - smaller son would happily never leave the house. So I am having to say it is "just down the road" and haven't mentioned that we will all be in the back of Dad's Micra! We'll see.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure