PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Halloween goodies

Comments

• Great thread, the two I am considering for halloween are:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7734/spooky-spider-cakes
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1474/spider-web-chocolate-fudge-muffins

Any more suggestions gladly accepted!
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • I made some fairy cakes (4 oz sugar, 4 oz baking marg, 4 oz flour, 2 eggs) and made a simple butter cream topping to which I had added green food colouring. I had bought a pack of plastic spiders (10 for £1 in Morrisons) and topped the cakes with this, simple, effective, yummy and cost just pence! They look too good to give away now, that's the problem :0) :rotfl:
  • unfortunatly, in our area, last year a group of children were poisoned after trick or treating:eek::eek:. the police have visited our local schools, advising children not to eat anything home made, or unwrapped.
    sad times!!
    3 wonderfull kids :female::female::male:, 1 fab hubby :heart: , 2 beautifull cats and 1 very large dog = my family!
    :grouphug:
  • jan59
    jan59 Posts: 386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I get a couple of bags of clementines, then get a black marker pen and draw pumpkin faces on them. Healthy option!! and the kids seem to like them.
    Everything in moderation..............including moderation..............
  • I won't allow my kids to eat anything unwrapped or homemade - I only let them go to houses in our immediate neighbourhood but by the time you get the stuff home you don't know what's come from whom. It is a sad reflection of our times I'm afraid, but I just don't think you can be too careful. Last year about half of the trick or treaters we got were menacing looking teenage boys who only wanted money. A friend of mine chased them and got her house egg and floured on a regular basis for months afterwards.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    I have to admit to buying sweeties from the supermarket, usually funsize things, and give a few to each witch/ghoul/monster that calls, including the window cleaner & his kids!

TBH, it's the neighbours children who call, and I'd like to stay on speaking terms so h/m is probably out of the equation!
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 31 October 2009 at 1:16PM
    Ok...things are underway. :D

I'm starting with the muffin recipe from here, because I've tried it before and it should work. ;)

I've substituted the hazelnuts with marshmallows, because I'm not sure if small witches eat nuts, and you can't be too careful where magic's involved. :p

So, this is the mix:

DSCN0991.jpg

and these are the first 6 just about to go in the oven:

DSCN0992.jpg
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • hermie
    hermie Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    They look delicious even raw MrBE - and good thinking about the nuts too! :)
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Right, these are the first 6, there's another 4 in the oven, and I'll be back in an hour or so to decorate them when they've cooled down:

DSCN0993.jpg
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Hi Mr B, long time no see.

Your cakes are looking scrummy - bet your little witch will appreciate them. I know I would :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure