Asda Opticians only £50 for Complete glasses INC Thinnest Lenses for NO EXTRA COST

Options

Comments

• mummyone_2
    Options
    Sue_S wrote: »
    I was too impatient to wait for a response to my email so I phoned Asda and they put me through to my nearest store (Swindon). The assistant confirmed that my prescription (about -11) would warrant 1.7 lenses and that these would be included in the price!!!!!!! Any prescription above -7 gets 1.7.

I said that this was too good to be true and the assistant agreed, she said that they used to charge £180 just for the lenses and that now it's just £70 for designer frames and lenses.

I'm off to Asda this afternoon :)

I jsut called Isle of Dogs, London and they seem a bit confused...any anyone had any contact with them...I bought 2 pairs in May from Asda...for £300 with 1.7 lenses!
    ...trying to be more money savvy everyday. :T
  • sm00chie
    sm00chie Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    i've just called leyton branch, they seemed confused too...something to do with all the new pricing they've just bought out.
    i think i will pop in there over the weekend as advised and have a look myself.

really interested in reglazing some frames that i've had for ages, i got quoted £230 by my local opticians :eek:
  • heatherks
    heatherks Posts: 854 Forumite
    Options
    Great buy as like your self i have a very high precription and even the thin lenses look magnified ...but unfortunately no asda stores near me with an optitions

saw something in papers today as asda are called spec savers and specsavers are taken them to court over it
  • tryingtobegood
    Options
    Thanks very much for this thread! I'm needing to get my eyes tested as I've had the same pair of glasses for the last 5 years. I have been putting this off due to the expense. I'll be off to Asda on payday!
    Must learn not to count chickens before they are hatched!!!!:D

Every day is a new challenge not a new problem!:p

SW start 08/01/14 4/21lbs (1st target) :j
  • baxterdo
    baxterdo Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    I got some very cheap glasses from tescos. I have to have the really thin lenses as well because my prescription is so bad. They were destined to be quite expensive but I knew the bloke working there (used to go to the same college). When I went to pay he typed it in that I was paying with clubcard tokens but really I was paying with cash. At the time I didn't really notice that's what he was doing otherwise I would probably handed over the right money. It was only when I went to leave he started to say stuff about me being his old girlfriend! I certainly never went out with him so god knows what lies he was going to spin to his friends! I wonder what Deal he'd give me if I pretended to be his wife.
  • losgiganteskid
    Options
    baxterdo wrote: »
    I got some very cheap glasses from tescos. I have to have the really thin lenses as well because my prescription is so bad. They were destined to be quite expensive but I knew the bloke working there (used to go to the same college). When I went to pay he typed it in that I was paying with clubcard tokens but really I was paying with cash. At the time I didn't really notice that's what he was doing otherwise I would probably handed over the right money. It was only when I went to leave he started to say stuff about me being his old girlfriend! I certainly never went out with him so god knows what lies he was going to spin to his friends! I wonder what Deal he'd give me if I pretended to be his wife.

If you had been married to him - he would have given you the finest double glazed specs !!
  • mummyone_2
    Options
    I have just been told by Isle of Dog that prescriptions which need 1.67 lenses will be part of the £70 complete pair of glasses or 2 for £90. If you want thinner then that then its £40 per frame. Total price £170 for 2 pairs.
    ...trying to be more money savvy everyday. :T
  • kennyjosiah
    Options
    mummyone wrote: »
    I jsut called Isle of Dogs, London and they seem a bit confused...any anyone had any contact with them...I bought 2 pairs in May from Asda...for £300 with 1.7 lenses!

HI, yes I have ordered two pairs yesterday for the £90 and added a tint to one pair for an extra £10 -one pair in plastic 1.7 and one pair in glass (not sure of the number but he rec the glass as being thinner) total price for the two pairs is £100.

The deal only started this week, I went into Asda last Thursday to ask him to measure my pupil distance as I was looking at buying some glasses on the internet and he told me then to wait until mon/tues of this week as there was a great deal coming in that would knock spots of the deal I had, and that all single vision lenses no matter how strong the prescription would be the same price :j
  • lolly5648
    lolly5648 Posts: 2,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    HI, yes I have ordered two pairs yesterday for the £90 and added a tint to one pair for an extra £10 -one pair in plastic 1.7 and one pair in glass (not sure of the number but he rec the glass as being thinner) total price for the two pairs is £100.

Which Asda did you go to - your branch seems very clued up.
  • Sue_S
    Sue_S Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 October 2009 at 6:12PM
    Options
    Just been to Asda in Swindon and ordered two pairs for £90 - and the assistant said that I could have 1.74 lens (I didn't even know that existed). It'll probably be up to two weeks before they arrive. Can't wait :)

My prescription is -11.25 and -11.75.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport