Great ‘Hair MoneySaving’ Hunt

Comments

• salthepal
    salthepal Posts: 425 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
    Enough please of all your lovely thick curly heads of hair! I'm so jealous. Mine is fine, flyaway, pale blond hair which doesn't suit heavy conditioners. I find that the leave-in ones work best - but can anyone recommend any products please?
  • flippin36
    flippin36 Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    My hair is frizyand very curly, and I use lots of product. I'm finining using conditioner only, or even sometimes just wetting it nd applying less product between shampoos, is working brilliantly. But I don't straighten mine. :)

Can I ask you, how often do you actually use shampoo if at all. Also what conditioner do you use - have you noticed some are better for cleansing than others?

I really like washing my hair every morning, I just like water over my head to wake me up but worried that too much shampooing can be causing dryness. Will conditioner only give me a just washed look? Thanks
  • LilyPie_3
    LilyPie_3 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Gollum, I always use Loreal Excel 10 because it is so quick and easy to use (I never bother with the salon for colour!) I go for chocolate brown, which gives me an even, shiny coverage that lasts for weeks. I always stock up on it when it is on offer (often £3 off in Sainsburys', or 2 for 1 in Superdrug or Boots), as it is a little more pricey than some. I don't know if you have tried it or not but I love it. Although I don't have any grey hairs (yet! lol) so I don't know how good it is on that front, but I find this is a really good all round home dye kit.
  • h007
    h007 Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Jesthar wrote: »
    Finally, hair straighteners - I started using them last year. Yes, I KNOW GHD's are the throne to worship at here, but frankly I couldn't afford the admittance fee! So I bought Babyliss Pro 230 straighteners instead (just over £20 from Amazon at the moment), and if it's just straightening you're after (not sure if they'd curl too) you can't go wrong. I have very thick, long hair with a strong natural wave, and it only takes one pass on a section of hair to straighten it perfectly - and that's on setting 6, I've never cranked it up to full power! Only slight drawback is the 'off' button is in a place where you can catch it accidentally sometimes, but once you get used to it being there it's easy to avoid doing that (been months since my last accidentaly switch off), and they heat up so fast it's not really anything other than a momentary annoyance anyway.

~Jes :)

They fixed this problem on the pro 230 elegance babyliss straighteners - they are a lovely bronze colour too. abit more expensive but i got mine for about £30 when amazon had them on offer
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    flippin36 wrote: »
    Can I ask you, how often do you actually use shampoo if at all. Also what conditioner do you use - have you noticed some are better for cleansing than others?

I really like washing my hair every morning, I just like water over my head to wake me up but worried that too much shampooing can be causing dryness. Will conditioner only give me a just washed look? Thanks

I use shampoo when I feel I need it, generally its my scalp which dictates it (although DH who has psoriasis has noticed his scalp is far better for cutting down on shampooing: he's going about a fortnight, no dandruff!). I'd say I go on averge 8-10 days. My hairdresser (an Aveda hairdresser, with curly hair too) would have me go little longe if possible, but I'm reformed daily or every second day shampooer.

I have a range of stuff. For daily or so conditioning I use a suitable normal conditioner (at the moment I think its L'oreal: honey scented). because of my fear of smelling I opt for smething that smells good! I have no problem doing this every morning, (although haven't today, and have put my hair up).

IIRC the ''true'' conditioner only people use a normal shampoo first then a more moisturising second, I just use the one conditioner, usually designed for dry or damaged or curly hair. I also have a couple of more indulgent conditioners (e.g. Tigi oat meal and honey) should my hair feel more needy. When I do wash using shampoo and conditioner (ATM another Tigi Catwalk one) for curly hair.

I did worry about ''feeling clean'' at first and bought a tea tree and mint conditioner: which I think was a good way to ease into it for that reason, though it was not geat for my hair. Now for the daily freshen up conditioner I buy what I fancy or what is a good deal at the time. :o
  • MellyB_2
    MellyB_2 Posts: 262 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    h007 wrote: »
    They fixed this problem on the pro 230 elegance babyliss straighteners - they are a lovely bronze colour too. abit more expensive but i got mine for about £30 when amazon had them on offer

These are the ones I have - very good and you get quite a bit free with them too!
  • svlpacker
    svlpacker Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Spray it onto your hair to get a lovely shine.....also helps with scalp problems.

There are two ways of doing it. If you wash your hair every day, then try just spraying it with vinegar, rinse, use a bit of conditioner then rinse again. If, like me, you wash your hair less often then shampoo as normal, rinse, spray on the vinegar, rinse, then condition as normal.
  • P.s. a word about Lush, since someone mentions them. Though it is branded as a natural company, most of their products do contain quite a few chemicals - just look at the ingredients list. Sodium lauryl sulfate, PEG-100 stearate, Cocamide DEA, Perfume, all these ingredients feauture really heavily in their products and have been linked with allergies, health concrens etc. In fact Sodium Laryl Sulfate is listed as the first ingredient in most if not all of their shampoos.
    Sorry I thanked you by mistake, meant to click on quote.

It's a common misconception about Lush that they are all-natural products, they have never claimed this. Their "We Believe" statement even states that they use safe synthetics:
    https://www.lush.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6289&Itemid=66 .

The synthetics that they do use are the ones with the longest records that have shown themselves to be the safest over the years. Their website has plenty of information on all their ingredients so here is some more explaining their stance on SLS specifically:
    https://www.lush.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&id=17220&catid=&view=article

As for perfume, yes they have perfume in all but one of their products. They make these perfumes themselves mainly from essential oils. If you get a paper catalogue from a shop it will show you which perfumes are all-natural and which are not. The website doesn't show this unfortunately.
    https://www.lush.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15601&catid=52&Itemid=97

Compare the Lush ingredients with any other popular brand and Lush's will be more natural. The less popular "natural" brands will mostly contain similar ingredients with only a handful actually being chemical-free. But these are usually difficult to find whereas Lush is in almost every town. My only gripe about Lush really is the price. They are getting more and more expensive, although some of their solid products like the shampoo bars and Jungle are pretty good value because they last so long.
  • ambyuk
    ambyuk Posts: 246 Forumite
    Lush Henna gives amazing colour, naturally, and is easy to use. It's 6.95 I think for a block (does long hair once or short hair twice). The colour is so deep and rich, it looks natural and not dyed at all. I think they have 3 or 4 colours including red, black and brown.
    :money:
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    I have really thick curly hair that i currently wear straight, i have the Babyliss pro 230's and they are amazing! Aussie 3 minute miracle is a godsend as is Herbal Essences frizz fighter shampoo and conditioner.
    When i wore my hair curly i used Boots essential curl creme. Loved it, didnt think any of the expensive brands came close to matching it;) Is about £1.50 and comes in a clear tub, creme is pink. Curly girls should definately try it if they havent already.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport