Great ‘Hair MoneySaving’ Hunt

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    flippin36 wrote: »
    Am thinking of doing the conditioner only wash. Apparently the cheaper the conditioner the better as it won't leave a build up on the hair like the pricier ones do. Anyone tried this?

Yes, both DH and I tried it, which is how we hve nde up with the comprimise of fewer shampoos rather than no shampoos, with conditioner only imbetween: hair is bmuch better for it with the comprimise fewer wasjes than with either no shampoo or daily/second/third dily shampoos.

With all things mentions, conditioner only, coconut oil etc I'd suggest if people are interete to try them: hair, people lifestyles are different. Coconut didn't work for me but it has for many, so its worth trying!

re serum: someone once told me that certain, er, lubricants, have the same ingrediants and can be cheaper. I've never had the gall to stand and check in a shop...
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    I have animals, and don't like smelling them in my hair

What kind of animals make your hair smell? :confused:
  • alocin
    alocin Posts: 109 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2009 at 10:34AM
    If you want to colour your hair on the cheap at home and don't want to use harsh chemicals then henna is a good option. I use Lush hennas which are £6.95 for a big block that'll do my quite short hair several times. It's a bit of a faff mixing the stuff up and leaving it on for a few hours, but the longer you leave it the better the colour result.

Instead of having dry, straw-like hair from the bleach in many dyes you end up with lovely soft, shiny hair that has a rich, natural colour. Lush does black, brown, red-brown and red hennas so you can't have bright pink hair, and henna won't lighten your hair like chemical dyes so you can only change to the same or darker level of colour. But if you want hair colour that's kind to the environment and your pocket then natural henna is the way to go!
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 October 2009 at 11:16AM
    geri1965 wrote: »
    What kind of animals make your hair smell? :confused:

Any you have to spend time cleaning out places they wee in my experience. For me the worst are my horses. The weird thing is my stables etc don't smell, in fact people often comment how clean my beds are, but I can smell it in my hair if I don't wash it. I obviously change after mucking out, but its not enough. some people seem to just...absorb smells, others have no problem. I've spoken to a few people who think it sounds funny, but some of those I could tell (or smell) were horse owners :o I have the same issue when cleaning walk in chicken houses and cows. (I do not have any cows ATM)
  • Pippad
    Pippad Posts: 91 Forumite
    I brought a simple hair trimmer for doing my husbands hair. I went to his hair appointment with him and watched what was done, then four weeks later did it myself. I found that at first I was nervous, but after a few cuts I am now able to do it without worrying!

We have saved over £200 by doing this over the last two years.

For me, I tend to cut my own hair, and the once every six months get it cut at the hairdressers. I told my hairdresser that I just couldn't afford to go more often and that I would need to cut it back. She showed me what to do, and said that it would be okay as if I made any big mistakes that they would either grow out or she could fix them!
  • **Juice** wrote: »
    Coconut oil is a fab hair conditioner (can use it on your body too) - pretty cheap from Boots/Superdrug, they do their own brands of it.
    I've been using my ordinary cooking oil (rapeseed, about £1 per litre) for some time now and it works a treat. I don't think it matters what kind - just use what you have!
  • fatpiggy
    fatpiggy Posts: 388 Forumite
    I work at a University and get my hair cut in the student union - £4.50 for any cut you want. I think highlights are about £15. Bargain!
  • Jesthar
    Jesthar Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    I recently started using Lush solid shampoo bars. They cost about £4.50, but they last about 70 washes (more if you're careful or live in a soft water area!), and as they are only the size of a tin of shoe polish are ridiculously easy to transport compared with bottles! They literally leave my hair feeling sqeuaky clean - I use Ultimate Shine for my long dark hair, but there are plenty to choose from for diffrent hair types.

I've also got some of their solid conditioner, Jungle - still getting to grips with the technique of using it (not quite as easy as the shampoo bars), but it smells fab, works well and is lasting AGES - several weeks along I don't seem to have made any dent in the original bar size!

Finally, hair straighteners - I started using them last year. Yes, I KNOW GHD's are the throne to worship at here, but frankly I couldn't afford the admittance fee! So I bought Babyliss Pro 230 straighteners instead (just over £20 from Amazon at the moment), and if it's just straightening you're after (not sure if they'd curl too) you can't go wrong. I have very thick, long hair with a strong natural wave, and it only takes one pass on a section of hair to straighten it perfectly - and that's on setting 6, I've never cranked it up to full power! Only slight drawback is the 'off' button is in a place where you can catch it accidentally sometimes, but once you get used to it being there it's easy to avoid doing that (been months since my last accidentaly switch off), and they heat up so fast it's not really anything other than a momentary annoyance anyway.

~Jes :)
    Never underestimate the power of the techno-geek... ;)
  • Use natural products or home made recipes! Use oil in your hair - that's one of the secrets of women from countries such as Pakistan, India etc. Put it in your hair anything from half an hour befre washing to the night befre. Make sure u massage it into the scalp. Good oils to try include jojoba oil, neem oil, coconut oil etc. As for colouring, if u want to darken ur hair or want a reddish tint, henna is great, though u might need repeat treatments. It's a great conditioner too.

You can also use a little lemon juice diluted in water as a final rinse after washing ur hair to make ur hair shine. Vinegar is said to work too, but I find it too smelly.

As a natural shampoo, every now and then wash ur hair with egg yolk beaten with some lukewarm water (not hot water as the egg will cook!!). Just massage in to the scalp, leave for a bit, then rinse.

If you use less styling products and less damaging things like straightners etc, your hair will be in better condition.

Also, if u use a good natural shampoo, u shouldn't need conditioner...non natural shampoos are very harsh and strip the hair of natural oils, which is why u then need a conditioner. Use a gentle conditioning shampoo, and u won't need the conditioner. Thus though u may find natural shampoos are costlier (if bought rather than made urself), in the long run u'll prob be saving more, as u won't need conditioner and as many styling products becuase u'll have better hair.
  • P.s. a word about Lush, since someone mentions them. Though it is branded as a natural company, most of their products do contain quite a few chemicals - just look at the ingredients list. Sodium lauryl sulfate, PEG-100 stearate, Cocamide DEA, Perfume, all these ingredients feauture really heavily in their products and have been linked with allergies, health concrens etc. In fact Sodium Laryl Sulfate is listed as the first ingredient in most if not all of their shampoos.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure