Forumite
    BusyGirl wrote: »
    Tuna Mushroom Pasta
    A good one to do when we go camping:

Cook pasta as usual then in another pan empty:

tin of campbells cond mushroom soup
    tin of tuna
    tin of sweetcorn and heat for a few mins

Drain pasta and mix together. You can also do this using one pan, just drain pasta and add other stuff to pasta and heat for a few minutes.:D

With the condensed soup do you add a tin of water also or eat it condensed? Thanks!
    When life hands you lemons, ask for tequilla and salt and give me a call!!!
  • auntymabel
    auntymabel Posts: 433 Forumite
    Bronnie wrote: »
    Well, you live and learn!

I've been doing this for at least 15 years and fortunately have managed not to poison my family and friends :eek:

However I'm pretty sure this warning hasn't been on the jar that long

Interesting too that although Pataks give this warning, they also do make the assumption that people (like me) will be expecting to be able to use it uncooked ;) and give advice on consuming it safely when uncooked, which would mean my Coronation Chicken recipe would still be OK if you followed this part of Patak's instructions.

There is a thread here discussing this very question. Some interesting points raised, including that of legal-back-covering:rolleyes:

http://ask.metafilter.com/41544/Why-must-I-cook-Pataks-Curry-Paste

I have always assumed that pastes have already been cooked off, the advantage of using them being that the spice was cooked and not 'raw' as it would be if you added, for example curry or chilli powder directly.

I expect the paste could be fried off in a little oil for the requisite time before adding to my dish (not very lazy recipe though!), but you might as well just fry off some curry powder instead then and produce your own paste, it would be cheaper. I wonder if other brands have a similar warning? Will check next time I go shopping and report back!

Thanks for the follow-up anyway!

Thanks for the link Bronnie. It's interesting the difference in the Patak's reponses. The one on metafilter dosn't mention bugs and says it's ok to eat uncooked depending on your stomach's tolerance. It's probably falls into the same category as keeping everything in the fridge.

I'm going to try it anyway. If I hadn't read the jar I'd never have known. If you don't see any more posts from me you'll know why!
    'Yaze whit yeh hive an ye'll niver wahnt'

(From Mae Stewart's book 'Dae Yeh Mind Thon Time?')
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    auntymabel wrote: »
    Thanks for the link Bronnie. It's interesting the difference in the Patak's reponses. The one on metafilter dosn't mention bugs and says it's ok to eat uncooked depending on your stomach's tolerance. It's probably falls into the same category as keeping everything in the fridge.

I'm going to try it anyway. If I hadn't read the jar I'd never have known. If you don't see any more posts from me you'll know why!

OMG don't say that! I've edited my recipe now to include our recent findings and accept no responsibility for fatalities! :D
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    With the condensed soup do you add a tin of water also or eat it condensed? Thanks!

don't water it down, the soup is the 'sauce' for the recipe...unless of course you want tuna casserole soup :p
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    a cheap and cheerful (and very quick!) favourite here is cheesy bean burritos

put a tortilla on the plate, put in a few tablespoons of baked beans then add in some shredded cheese and any other additions you like (i like garlic puree and sundried tomatoes if i have them or those red pickled peppers from lidl) fold up burrito style (bottom flap 1/4 way up then each side, flip over so it stays closed) then microwave for a minute or two to warm through and melt the cheese mmmmmmmmm

you can use up left over veg in this too if you like especially any sauteed onions etc

i stock up on tortilla's when they are on sale or when i'm at lidl they keep well in the fridge or freeze well so this is a regular in our house and we never tire of it.
  • cheese omelette and microwaved jacket potatoes are my quick and easy and lazy meal. Add a bit of salad to make it a bit more healthy. We always have this on the night I got to my excersise class. As it is light enough not to be too indigestible.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • a favourite of mine:

Cheap and easy stir fry

Fry off red, green and yellow peppers with some onion
    Cook some rice, throwing in some frozen peas for the last couple of mins
    Drain the rice, add it to the frying pan with the peppers and onions, and add one beaten egg (keep heat on and keep stirring until all egg is cooked)
    Mix in some chinese five spice
    Done! (can be done with chicken, bacon or beef, but i'm veggie!)

another quick and easy favourite in my house is cheesy oatcakes (not the biscuit-type ones - we're talking staffordshire oatcakes here!).

put grated cheese on top of oatcake, pop under grill for a few minutes, roll up and eat!
    also delicious with onions, sausages, bacon, etc...
    2011 wins: £481
    Eleventh Heaven: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 October 2009 at 2:05PM
    MM oatcakes. My OH lives in Stoke and you have me craving them now. I find they work good with grated cheese, onion and mushrooms. Flatmate is veggy...

I invented a tasty n lazy last night. Had planned to do a HM cheese sauce(with mustard and nutmeg) to go with some LO green beans and smoked cod. Couldnt be bothered to do anything like pasta to go with so threw it all in together and flatmate had some LO cheesy mash so slung that in as well. Turned out like a nice chowder.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • Thanks again to everyone for making this a fantastic thread- I’ll probably be referring to it for years to come!

It does make for tough reading at times tho– can’t stop drooling :D I’m currently reading through and adding items for my next ‘big shop’, so’s I can make some more of the recipes. I definitely need to get some cheeses in.... oatcakes... hummous... yay!

The first one I’ve tried was nanokitten’s ‘Quick veggy pasta’ from post #15. I was unsure about using carrots with pasta, but once cooked it worked just fine– a lovely dish. (on the same day, I also made my first French onion soup. A very basic affair– left out the red wine and bay leaves– I expect Michel Roux Jnr would turn his 3 michelin starred nose up at it :D **– but I found it delicious. Very rustic! I was very pleased with myself.

**Currently really enjoying celebrity masterchef– I think that’s what gave me the idea to make a French onion soup for the first time. I love the amount of care and finesse they bring to their dishes, cos it’s so different to me– I’d have finished eating before they’d even plated up!
  • McDonalds. :)

no, I asked for lazy TASTY recipes :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family