Lazy tasty recipes!

Comments

• laurel7172
    laurel7172 Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    As a general very lazy hint: I like my soups a bit rustic anyway, so if I'm in a real hurry I sometimes don't even chop mashable veg-I just throw it in the slow cooker and take a potato masher to it when it's cooked. I guess I could use a stick blender for better results, but I like the consistency I get my way.
    import this
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 7 October 2009 at 1:46PM
    5 minute Chicken in Cream sauce.
    Pan-fry chicken, pour in tub of cream and a dollop of whole grain mustard, loosen all all the bits off the pan and serve. Delish!

Coronation Chicken ( as part of a meal or to fill a sandwich or jacket spud)
    Half mayo, half natural yogurt, dollop of apricot/spiced fruit chutney (or even apricot jam),spoon of curry paste (suitable for use uncooked, check jar and see later posts in this thread!). Stir together and mix in leftover chopped chicken

Boozy Ginger Log
    A bit 'sixties' but I love it!
    Whip cream. Dip ginger nut biscuits in sherry and sandwich with cream into a log shape or just make individual desserts in small dishes. Cover with cream. Leave in fridge overnight.

Cheesecake
    Crushed Digestive biscuits mixed with melted butter in the base of a tin. Top with a packet of made-up Dream Topping beaten together a pack of Philly Finish off with a can of blackcurrant pie filling.
    (Honestly tastes better than it sounds...can't taste the Dream Topping!!).
  • pixie1
    pixie1 Posts: 1,442
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Mine has to be cheesy potato and bean mess!

Boil the spuds then mash and mix in some grated cheese and seaon. Plop the mixture in an oven proof dish and top with more cheese. Go off and do something else until cheese is golden oh and warm a tin of baked beans at the same time - multi tasking LOL

Serve all together tummy cheap lazy warming food - I love it!!!

Pix
    Excellent thread!!
    :jDebt Free At Last!:j
  • nanokitten
    nanokitten Posts: 704 Forumite
    Quick veggy pasta: put on pasta to boil. (You now have 12 minutes to do the rest!) Grate a carrot into a pan and sweat with a knob of butter (I use a tin foil lid pressed on top of the veg to sweat it but a small pan lid which fits inside the pan works well) grate courgette in after it sweat some more. use the remaining time to either find cottage cheese in fridge, grate cheddar, chop blue cheese such as dolcelette. With 1 minute to go add cheese to veg, turn off heat and allow to melt slightly, drain pasta, add to cheesey veg mixture, lots of black pepper to serve.
    You can use other veg (I can't eat most veg) but cut / grate small and prep / cook in order of how log they take to cook ie onion first. You can also add frozen veg to pasta water near the end of cooking.
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 October 2009 at 10:49AM
    Pasta Puttanesca (trans = Prostitute's Pasta)

Fry an onion and a clove of garlic in a little oil. Chuck in a few anchovies, 100-150g pitted olives, a couple of tbs capers then a tin of tomatoes. Simmer for 20 mins while you cook some pasta (spagetti is traditional I think). Mix the sauce with the pasta and chuck over some basil and some parmesan if you like it.

It supposedly gets it's name from being served in Naples's red light district.

PS The name of the pasta below translates as Mother in Law's tongue!

il_pozzo_del_MED.jpg
  • nopot2pin
    nopot2pin Posts: 5,721 Forumite
    One mini naan bread, with a tsp of red pesto, mixed with a tsp of tomatoe puree... ..... then choose your own toppings, that you do, for a pizza ...
    Yum :D:A
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sausage and Bean Cassulet:

Chop an onion - as chunky or fine as you wish. Fry.
    Add a squirt of garlic paste (you said lazy!!)
    Open 3 tins of beans and drain - kidney, butter, borlotti, canneloni - whatever you wish, just not baked beans ;)
    Empty beans into pan with the onions.
    Open tin of chopped tomatoes or carton of passata, tip in.
    Chop a smoked pork sausage into bite size pieces.
    Add dried herbs of choice.
    Stir

Go off and do summat else :p Or bung some garlic bread in the oven.

Heat the cassulet through for 10-15 minutes.

Stir. Serve and eat - serves 3-4 depending on garlic bread and size of appetite ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Thanks for everyone's great suggestions! I'll definitely be trying some of these- cheesy potato and bean mess is tickling my tastebuds right now- my sister used to make something similar called 'cheese slop' (yum!) which was mash and cheese mixed together with a finely chopped plum tomato (juice drained off), baked in the oven. It was a lot tastier than its name suggests!
    nodwah wrote: »
    Actually another I've just thought of is pesto pasta! - fry some chopped bacon add pesto and mix into cooked pasta! 10 mins!
    Yes! I make a similar one, with fried onions, and if I'm feeling special, a veggie sausage, cut into 'coins' and fried with the onion. Another tip is that you can pop an egg in while you are cooking the pasta- when the pasta is done, the egg should be too. Simply peel and chop into rough chunks, and add to the pasta pesto mix.
  • auntymabel
    auntymabel Posts: 433 Forumite
    Half mayo, half natural yogurt, dollop of apricot/spiced fruit chutney (or even apricot jam),spoon of curry paste. Stir together and mix in leftover chopped chicken

Bronnie - My jar of Patak's curry paste says not to use it uncooked.
    Which one do you use?

Can't wait to try your cheesecake on v fussy OH.
    'Yaze whit yeh hive an ye'll niver wahnt'

(From Mae Stewart's book 'Dae Yeh Mind Thon Time?')
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 3 October 2009 at 10:05AM
    auntymabel wrote: »
    Half mayo, half natural yogurt, dollop of apricot/spiced fruit chutney (or even apricot jam),spoon of curry paste. Stir together and mix in leftover chopped chicken

Bronnie - My jar of Patak's curry paste says not to use it uncooked.
    Which one do you use?

Can't wait to try your cheesecake on v fussy OH.

Actually, I use Pataks :rotfl:, never ever read the label!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh dear!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure