PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

October 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• donnajt
    donnajt Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 October 2009 at 8:01PM
    Options
    Really not doing well even tho at least every other day is a NSD!!!

Ended up with weekend guests which really inflated our bill this week :confused:

Week 1: Lidl (great offers) £7.89
    Tesco £35.11
    Week 1 total = £43, REMAINING: £257

Week 2: Tesco £78.23 (£26 in deals tho!)
    Tesco £18.75
    Week 2 total = £96.98, REMAINING: £160.02

Concerned as we have 3 weeks more of October remaining!!!
  • Julimk
    Julimk Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    Had a very filling dinner, for 40p, today! Mr S had a Cornish pasty & some mashed potato for 20p each. (DD ate at the childminder’s) Also managed to pick up some mozzarella for 20p. Not often that I see whoopsies that cheap!

Did a small top up shop of £8.90 yesterday. Which leaves £40 going into the last week, so shouldn’t be a problem (famous last words …)
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spent €6.27 to-day, total spend now €97.38

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • JillD_2
    JillD_2 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    Options
    helen - thanks will give you a budget for November I promise!

Storecupboard challenge update:
    12 Oct kids had some jacket potatoes but we still have 5 left (had more than we thought) and we had prawn stir fry
    13 Oct pasta bologniase and garlic bread (going to make double bolgonaise mix and make a shep pie for another night too.
    14 Oct

Still have left:
    Weds 14th - Also have ingredients to make pizzas (base and topping), frozen leftover lentil stew and cous cous for me
    Thurs 15th - 8 veg sausages - sausage and mash
    Fri 16th - Fishfingers (7), waffles (3) and peas; red thai veg curry
    Sat 17th - 10 quorn fillets - Grandma's birthday roast dinner - stuffing, spuds, carrots, peas, beans, broccoli
    Sun 18th 8 fishfingers, 3 waffles, peas; stir fry and noodles (carrot, pepper, onion, courgette)
    Mon 19th Jacket potatoes, beans, cheese, burger for DH, sweetcorn
    Tues 20th sausage caserole
    Weds 21st pasta bolognaise (lefotver from last weeks bolognaise and frozen)
    Thurs 22nd pizza again
    Fri 8 fishfingers and 3 waffles and pease; stir fry and rice

Still left:
    7 fishfingers and 3 waffles
    tin sausage and beans (will do kids one lunch)
    tin sausage and beans (will do kids one lunch)
    2 portions chickpea and lentil curry.
    curry ready meal

Lunches - kids have packed lnches at school. DD2 has breadsticks and cheese/fruit, beans on toast, egg on toast, I have pasta salad or couscous etc.

Did my mystery shop today at a food shop with a minimum spend of £10 and soent about that on bananas, milk, onions (am all out), peppers, bread, apple juice and treated the kids to a chocolate lolly each if not quite at a tenner.[/QUOTE]

Just realised MIL is coming on Saturday for her birthday so think we will do the roast dinner for then. And I think I have all the appropriate items to bake a cake providing noone eats the eggs before then! Will leave DH to sort her present and get the kids to make some stuff (no idea what). Something with photos on maybe. Oh just realised I had put away an I Love Grandma mug for her for Christmas, that will be perfect as well!
    Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

• huxley
    huxley Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all got to update signature as soon as I know what I owe kids for takeaway, naughty I know and not planned but what a week so far, monday some little darling decided to flying kick fence police taking statement 11.45pm! so very late night then yesterday afternoon mil was admitted to hospital went in ambulance 3.30pm, 9pm we left her in a&e still waiting to go to a ward! Hence takeaway. Slowcooker will be going on this morning so no matter what to day brings a cheap home cooked meal will be served! Hope everyone has a good day
  • tomtom03
    Options
    Hello, A newbie on the forum, I've just signed up on the MortgageFree Challenge. Our main expense is groceries, which i seriously need to get to grips with. We have a disabled little one, who loves the social interaction, sitting in trolley etc etc aspect of shopping, and as its a great time killer - we go to the supermarket every day. That combined with my tendency to buy 2 of everything:confused: and war mentality where the cupboards are bursting, I need serious grocery 'therapy'!

I've cleared out the freezer, only bread and peas now. I shall be cooking everything from scratch in small portions, so no strange concoctions lurking that will never get eaten. Need to clear out the outside freezer and get rid of it. My household budget is £250 for 4 of us....we probably spend in excess of £800.....tracking this month.
    MFiT2 Challenge £103,770 Oct 09
    Grocery Challenge £250pm
  • ellemm
    ellemm Posts: 11,262 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Should be another NSD today as had planned to take fish out of freezer for tonight for OH and chicken curry for me but got call last night from DD - my GD1 aged 10 had fallen in the park and broke her arm :eek: so they spent a couple of hours in A&E getting her sorted out. I called when they got home and spoke to GD, by then she had had a couple of painkillers from the hospital and was quite chirpy and on her mobile to her pals :o but obviously had been very upset at the time as was her wee sister.

So am going over there to see her tonight after work and OH will pick me up later - will get my tea at theirs and the chicken curry will stay in the freezer for another day !

Have enough meals until Saturday and will then stock up on some meat and fresh fruit.
  • Winged_one
    Options
    I've been remiss about getting back online the past while.

This week was a big spend week, but getting lots of things that will last also. DH was in M&S on Friday and got us a dinner (the meal for 2 for €12.50, a lot cheaper than a takeaway), a nice loaf of bread for weekend and some cheeses and cold meats for lunches for this week. Spent €22.40.

And I had a large supermarket shop, costing €145.49. But I got a lot for that. There was an Irish artisans event going on, so we got a lot of nice foods (and DD ate her way around the shop), some of which are being kept for Christmas (like a really nice fennel and honey smoked salmon). The mushrooms for last night's dinner were whoopsies (I had baby buttons already in trolley, and changed them for the same only shorter date!! and saved €1.20 doing that alone). The biscuits I like were half price, so I got a couple of extra packs (and have the will power to stretch them). And I had to get meat for 4 days and some fish as well, so that also brought it up.

And I also had to stop at the veggie shop to get a bag of spuds (€4.99 - when they were €7.99 in supermarket for SAME thing!). I have to add that into sig though as I forgot those.

I still have €317.07 left though, for 3 weekends (including one where we will be eating in IL's all weekend, but going to farmer's market while there). So should be OK.

Beef stew tonight!!
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • Winged_one
    Options
    Oh, and the baking goods were starting to be on special, so I had added an extra 8kg of flour into the trolley that weren't on the list (the double packs are only on offer for a couple of weeks every year and save about 1/3 over 2 single packs, so I always stock up about now).
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • ellemm
    ellemm Posts: 11,262 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Winged_one wrote: »
    Oh, and the baking goods were starting to be on special, so I had added an extra 8kg of flour into the trolley that weren't on the list (the double packs are only on offer for a couple of weeks every year and save about 1/3 over 2 single packs, so I always stock up about now).

I noticed that too in Aldi last week and bought a couple of things for Christmas baking - good prices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport