PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

October 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Eltee12
    Eltee12 Posts: 768 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    .........Managed NSD yesterday :j

Am shopping tonight, have list, will stick to it...........

Have decided no more buying of expensive stain removal products beginning with V, sounds like Famish. Have rediscovered joys of washing up liquid, white vinegar, salt, bleach etc. for stain removal. So once my stash of aforementioned products is gone, will not be replacing them. So there (I have the beginnings of a stinky cold so am grumpy, can you tell?)_pale_
    2018 AFD 23/240
    2018 CCC #11 £38.40/£250
    Mortgage-free since 2013

Debt-free since Nov 2017
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    welcome tomtom and all the newbies, loads of good info on here and lots of support too :j

everyone seems to be doing pretty well, and some good whoopsie hunting going on! I dont get to whoopsie hunt as I'm over an hour, and 2 bus rides, away from the nearest decent supermarket but I enjoy it 'secondhand' :D

huxley, hope your mil is well soon ;)

ellem, hugs to your dgd ;)

MrsMc hope all is well with you and all good wishes for a speedy recovery, Helen is doing a grand job of keeping us all in order

have a good day everyone :cool:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    Firstly, apologies for not keeping up with the thread during September. After a nice break away, DH came down with the dreaded flu and just as he recovered, I slipped a disc. so this means I haven't been able to shop properly and the GC went out of the window. Unfortunately, I still can't go shopping yet -very frustrating. I really don't want to drop out of the challenge, but will have to re-adjust my budgets. I think I went over around £30 in September and I'm already over this month, I'll adjust totals in a sec. I'll set a new budget for November soon, but am going to try and get by on £40 for the rest of the month. It's so frustrating because I can't even stand and batch bake at the mo. so the freezer is emptying rapidly and all the apples need collecting from the tree, but DH should be able to do this now he is better. Hope to catch up with you all again soon.
    Bye for now.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon everyone

Rosieben - thank you
    Elizabunny - will update you figures
    Ellemm - get well hugs for your GD - she sounds very brave
    Tomtom03 - I've added you to the list at the front - welcome and hi - please feel free to ask any questions you may have, check out the recipes on page 1 - there are some fab ones on there, happy budgeting

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Logged on to update my spends, please don't ask but I'm keeping everything crossed that we will still make it.:o

Welcome to the Newbies and also looks like a few others need some hugs.:grouphug:

Does anyone know if MRSMC got on ok in Hospital? - sending her my best wishes, and big thanks to HELEN for looking after us so well.;)

Dinner tonight is HM Spag bol, made a big batch of Savoury Mince in the Slow cooker today and using it as a base for other recipes.;)

Also made another batch of wraps for the kids lunchboxes.

Have a good evening everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• WelshWoofer
    WelshWoofer Posts: 5,076 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I haven't been around for a few days - THANK YOU ALL for your best wishes on my wedding !!!

Just a quick update on the spends - £44 more in Mr A's on the weekend. Only went there instead of Mr T's as I was in a shop opposite - not overly impressed with them - for many of the things I usually buy Mr Ts is cheaper. I did pick up a few things that they don;t sell in my Tesco's though so perhaps it was worth the visit.

Am just about to start a menu plan for next week and a shopping list - we've been having a use it up week so I will need quite a bit unfortunately..... boooooo!!!!!
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    Helen great job!!!!
    Mrs m Hope your okay hun x

Hi all have spent an absolute fortune so far spent £85.56 out of £150 so not looking good so far.
    We ran out of everything, oats, flour, weetabix, branflakes, cat food :rolleyes: you name it it went. Also had extra visitors (children's friends) come over for tea for the past few weeks so HAD to buy pre-made fish shapes/fingers type thing :confused:. OH and me felt quite embarrassed as we have not bought that kind of thing since last year at least. Couldn't believe the prices the of pre-made food. Anyway made three HM pizzas today for me OH and five hollow legged children, had loads left over so going to eat the left overs tomorrow. But ALL but four of the kids loved them saying they better than the takeaway ones:T, the fifth decided she only liked her mams frozen pizzas from iceland.

Also had to pay £8.50 for cat litter instead of the usual £4.50 as our local pet shop has closed down, a sad day for them and my purse. Stocked up on razors for OH Wilko's were selling pack of extreme razors for £1.97 instead of £4.50 so grabbed two packs.

So all in all only got £63.44 left till the end of the month :eek: , got no meat, fish, poultry so will have to buy some but heres hoping it won't cost that much.The freezer is looking very bare only veg really in there now. but at least i'll have some fun making up meals!:D and scoffing apple pie yummmm
  • nickynoo08
    nickynoo08 Posts: 1,860 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening all just a quick update. Spent £50 in mr T's. We're all fully stocked up now, thank god coz i've only got £41 of my budget remaining:rolleyes:. Did manage to get myself a few bargains tho, got some vouchers from tesco parents club to get a free pack of huggies and money of vouchers for pampers so i got 2 packs of newborn nappies for 33p:D
    £387.39/£196.46
    Pay my debt by End of Feb 2022
    49.28% paid!

£199.55/£500 savings by End of April 2022
    39.91% saved!

Make £2022 in 2022 - £20
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spent £6 in tesco today, so still being super frugal:T:Tall the extra is going into my hols fund;):D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • freakyogre
    freakyogre Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Bought rubbish today, so if I go over this month it's my own fault!

I went to Sainsburys in my lunch hour as needed to get some money, petrol and a birthday card (despite having a HUGE craft box about to burst).

I fancied some junk food and ended up buying a bag of sweets, some pretzels and some cranberry juice (but I did leave them at work to stop myself eating it all tonight). Also picked up some Boursin cheese on offer which I do need\want for a meal next week. Got a TV guide and paper as well.

So not including the card, I spent £4.39. Oh, also grabbed some milk on the way home, so another 86p.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family