The SayNoTo0870 Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• utilitybroker
    Options
    pyart wrote: »
    The regulator has finally made rulings against the use of 0845 and 0870 numbers. The changes to 0870 are coming into effect next year and already companies are switching to 0871, which is being re-classified as a premium rate number. This is going to cost us all more and i am fed up with being robbed by the use of 0845, 0870 and now 0871. I have started a petion to legislate against the use of 0871 and that the government force companies to use 01, 02 or the new 03, which was introduced for their use. You may wish to support this http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/0871numbers/

Their has already been a petition,which covered 084/087 numbers ;)
    http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/saynoto0870/
  • pyart
    pyart Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for that, and maybe it helped do some good with the change in approach to 0845 and 0870. The government responded by passing the responsibility to the regulator who can only regulate within the law. Isn't it time that the government took some responsibility in what is happening here. 03 numbers have been introduced for company use, now lets see them use them!
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pyart wrote: »
    Thanks for that, and maybe it helped do some good with the change in approach to 0845 and 0870. The government responded by passing the responsibility to the regulator who can only regulate within the law. Isn't it time that the government took some responsibility in what is happening here. 03 numbers have been introduced for company use, now lets see them use them!

Whilst I agree with most of what you say, the Government cannot "force companies to use 01, 02 or the new 03" numbers, as it is up to individual companies to decide on their telephony, however the Government can force all government departments onto these numbers, i.e. NHS Direct, HMRC, DWP, DVLA, etc and should do so with the utmost haste, which in turn should then alert private companies to the new 03 numbers and hopefully they will get the message and migrate to them, but don't hold your breath, the main reason they use these revenue sharing numbers is for exactly that reason, revenue share, they will not give that up easily, and it will be up to the general public to vote with their feet and not use those companies that only use 084/087, although in some instances that is not easy as it is sometimes the only way you have of contacting them and cannot easily go elsewhere to companies that don't use them, banks, utilities, insurance companies are just some examples.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    another alternative is to resort to good old paper and pen. There are alternaitves, we just seem to live very much in a 'now' world.

ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • vinylmusic
    vinylmusic Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm so fed up with these so called non-geographical numbers I feel like starting up a more radical approach
    I tried to call Box clever using 01234 355233 which I got from saynoto0870
    I got a switchboard who tried to fob me off quoting me the 0870 number
    I insisted they put me through but they said that department was busy
    I said put me on hold then but I'm not calling 0870
    They wouldnt and wouldnt arrange a call back
    I tried later and still busy. Probably with many other callers wasting 8p a minute to listen to their recordings
    I tried everything to get beyond the switchboard giving them hell but got nowhere

It would be good to form a group of callers who dont mind calling these switchboards. If we clogged up their switchboards they may get the message
    Who wants to join in?
    IWasLookingBackToSeeIfSheWasLookinBackToSeeIfIWasLookinBackAtHer.....
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    Vinyl music - As you can see from my sig. I am a non-geographic number hater as well. I think you have a good idea but it would have to be co-ordinated otherwise the company concerned will close their switchboard altogether! Many companies have done this and they just rely on the "menu" approach.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • Katykat
    Katykat Posts: 1,743 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone know whats happened to the SayNoTo 0870 site? Cant access it any more. The links just take me to a site advertising cPanel/ Apache. has the site beeen pulled by some "do Gooder" who doesn't want us to override the system?
    :smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
  • djblamire
    Options
    Have been having some problems due to a server upgrade.

Hopefully should be OK for you shortly.

Apologies for the inconvenience

Thanks
    Daniel
    SAYNOTO0870.COM
  • Neil_Manners
    Options
    I haven't got the time to read thru the whole lot on here so I apologise if this has already been said!

I run a small company that is expanding quickly and moves premises every 2/3 years. It costs us an ABSOLUTE Fortune ie approx £35K to change phone numbers due to Catalogues, Brochures, Sationary, Web Details, Directories, Customer mailshots etc etc.

It also causes our 10,000 customers large amounts of hassle to update their records , mobiles etc etc.

The environmental imact is also massive, wasted Catalogues, brochures mail shots, stationary etc etc etc which gets junked.

We got a 0870 number which was sold to us as a "roving" number which charged national rate (which 99% of our customers pay anyway) and we don't get a bean from it in any shape or form - just a free way of not having to change phone numbers every 2/3 years.

If there are some companies screwing folk out there by overcharging etc why don't Ofcom just cap the rates which can be charged on an 0870 number and stop the renegade companies from profiteering. We ARE NOT profiteering but are being penalised to the cost of approx. £35K.

Again it's a knee jerk reaction which punishes the Honest along with the Dishonest when it could be solved intelligently.

Here's another idea - why don't BT offer ost effective "Roving" cover numbers to businesses to solve this problem. These numbers could be paid for once off an then just route calls in a normal fashion to the existing underlying numbrs. BT Could make an admin charge each time the company changed the routings. Then people know that they are paying just the normal prices. Everyones happy.

Is it me or is that too bloody obvious and simple? :confused:

SO - Pleeeeaasse don't tar all 0870 companies with the same brush - we certainly aren't all dishonest.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure