We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Warning About Littlewoods

Options

Comments

• all_hours
    all_hours Posts: 684 Forumite
    Options
    I'd look into the Sale of Goods Act. A quick search is bringing up results that say once the offer is accepted that its a binding contract - sending out the goods demonstrates acceptance. Their terms and conditions could say something about cancelling the order but that would be before goods are sent out.

Look at the paragraph under "When is the Contract Made".

http://www.br0wn.co.uk/lawofshopping/

I agree that people shouldn't abuse the voucher systems but I'm not sure the company can do what they are doing.
  • Miss-spent_2
    Miss-spent_2 Posts: 572 Forumite
    Options
    I thought you had to be a littlewoods account holder to order things. Surely if this was the case it would balance things out more evenly and allow them to issue codes to their best customers.
  • Ellie2758
    Ellie2758 Posts: 2,848 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hmm, well I dont know whether I am "safe" or not now. I have only ever used one Littlewoods code that wasnt mine. It was the £15 one and I used it to buy an item that cost £55 a few months back. I have a Littlewoods account. If I pay it off then dont use it again will they still "get" me????
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • kevin.philips
    Options
    Look at the paragraph under "When is the Contract Made".

The sale of goods act and specifically the areas of offer and acceptance can't really help in this situation as further express terms (I,e the T&C's) have been incorporated into the contract prior to any binding sales negotions occurring.

The buyer was aware of these conditions prior to offering payment for goods which is then further considered in the acceptance by Littlewoods, nowhere does it say in their T&C's that they can not retrospectively look through the use of codes, moreso it says quite the opposite. Everyone who took the risk in using the codes was aware that this may happen. It is just one of those things.
  • jeppy
    jeppy Posts: 3,428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, but doesn't the code form part of the contract?? I have only used 2 codes, but to be honest one of the orders was for something I wouldn't usually keep.

i think perhaps we should check with Trading Standards, a contract takes the form of an offer to sell, an offer to buy and then an agreement.(from memory!!) I made the offer to buy, net of the discount, they accepted!!
    ACII and Chartered so now I can focus on learning to play my beautiful Sax. 🎷
  • urmmmmmm
    urmmmmmm Posts: 279 Forumite
    Options
    The sale of goods act and specifically the areas of offer and acceptance can't really help in this situation as further express terms (I,e the T&C's) have been incorporated into the contract prior to any binding sales negotions occurring.

The buyer was aware of these conditions prior to offering payment for goods which is then further considered in the acceptance by Littlewoods, nowhere does it say in their T&C's that they can not retrospectively look through the use of codes, moreso it says quite the opposite. Everyone who took the risk in using the codes was aware that this may happen. It is just one of those things.
    and how do you think they will retract the monies off customers that either have an account or those that don't? To do this at the time of purchase yes, but to do it months upon months later is a little stupid
  • Tom125
    Tom125 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    I think the answer is that if you have ordered from Littlewoods with a code (and paid and received your goods), then now you should close your account, and inform them that you wish them not to contact you / use your details again, in line with the Data Protection Act. After you do this, I don't think they are allowed to contact you again (whether to demand payments back or for anything else), as the Data Protection Act is very powerful in this respect.

To be honest, I think that if some codes are only meant for certain accounts, then Littlewoods's IT systems should be good enough to only accept codes from these accounts. Other companies can manage this quite well! It does reflect quite badly on their competence!

Also, I get so much (un-solicited) junk mail from Littlewoods and other catalogues that I really wouldn't be able to remember which codes can or cannot be used with my account!

Also, surely it is possible to open an account, use a proper code for new customers (which Littlewoods advertise all over the place) and then close it. Then if you open a new account (or an account for another relative etc) at some point in the future and again use a proper code for new accounts, then I don't see that this breaches their terms.

I have only ever used 2 codes (each a proper code for new accounts) on two different accounts (one for me, one for my father). This is not abusing their (incompetent) system, but just using common sense to reduce their prices a little (which in my opinion are greater overpriced in the first place).
  • all_hours
    all_hours Posts: 684 Forumite
    Options

If a product is on sale for £30 and the customer says I'll give you £10 + this bunch of letters and number then the goods are sent out doesn't that count as acceptance? The company should have declined the offer before that point.

I didn't think you could override the Sales of Goods Act with your own T&Cs - you'd have companies overriding areas that deal with refunds on faulty goods + fit for purpose etc.

This is like going into a shop and offering a sales assistant £10 plus a used bus ticket for a £30 purchase - they accept and give you the purchase - then 6 months later the shop manager is chasing you down the high street for the other £20.
  • mwjmum
    mwjmum Posts: 553 Forumite
    Options
    Is this just happening with account holders? What about people who paid in full by credit card - surely the company is not authorised to take more money without the customer's agreement?
  • stuzhunter
    stuzhunter Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    What the fuss..Littlewoods is a CON anyway..In the past, they have sent me codes & vouchers (nicely designed too!) adressed to me personally and they have either rejected the code or accepted the code & then charged me fully..If they send codes/vouchers to people & their computer system accept them.the contract is done..legally binding that's it..It's completely illegal to charge customers back..those unfortunates should report to Trading Standards & ask for compensation..Littlewoods is thriving on this situation..they are saying..well let them use the code..we'll get the money back anyway..now that's another CON.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport