We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Warning About Littlewoods

Options

Comments

• Ellie2758
    Ellie2758 Posts: 2,848 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    shibumi wrote:
    Well I had two £13.50 codes revoked for orders palced in December 2005!!!
    Not happy... It seems that once you phone then and a jobs worth looks at your account more closely they revoke the codes.

Can you just clarify - what was the period of time between you using the code and them revoking it?
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • shibumi
    shibumi Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They were both used in the first week of December 2005 (on reduced toys)
    and then revoked mid June this year...so a good six months had passed.
    I rang to use another code supposedly for existing customers and the adviser looked at my past transactions and said I could only use one £13.50 discount on my account ... the rest would have to be revoked!!
  • hilary1
    hilary1 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    Options
    I think #13 is spot on. Littlewoods wont be happy if people are ordering £20 and using a £20 code than bragging about it.

No doubt all the catalogues know about this site and get pretty annoyed with people who do not have accounts boasting how they keep getting freebies.

I've been with Littlewoods for years. Now by the time I get a code in the post its aready been used to death by non account holders and withdrawn.

And yes I do use codes off here but OCCASIONALY, not three in a week in everyone elses name.

I hate to say it but a fairer way would be that only account holders can use codes.

Yes we all want to save money but some people take the mick and ruin it for eveyone else.:mad:
    The curve that can set a lot of things straight is a smile
  • kalrizienne
    kalrizienne Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon Everyone

Just to let you know that i work for Littlewoods and over the past 12 months an new computer system has been installed for the cs process.

The abuse of discount codes has really always been a problem for the company but has only come to light once the new system has analysed spending patterns and discount codes applied.

As new processes come online the restriction of discount codes will become tighter and tighter.

Currently the system scans all orders placed with a discount code applied and checks a central database to see if the individual has been mailed or selected for the discount, if not cs is informed and the customers advised. This i beleive is not done "real time" at the order processing stage however within the next few weeks this will change and orders will not be accepted if the discount code used has not been mailed or selected for the customer.
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Of course they can legally do it - it's in thier terms and conditions!! If you abuse codes then you can;t get miffed when they revoke them.

I'm an account holder and want to still get and use offers, but if people like many here abuse them then they'll stop them for customers like me, who don;t abuse them, and that truly isn;t fair.

I am astounded that you get on your high horses for being caught out doing something wrong!!!
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    meerustar wrote:
    I think the reason they might be pulling some codes is that some abuse the system.

I used a 20% off code when I bought my laptop off them, but they will still get nearly £600 from me ... and I've had no phone call.

Some people though order something for £26, use a £25 voucher and pay £1 ... I'm guessing this is what Littlewoods are annoyed about as this way they are losing money. As I bought a laptop (as well as other bits at other times) they are still making money from me.

This is only my opinion, but it does make some sense.

Completly agree, I have seen loads of people on here bragging about how much stuff they have got with these codes. One person used the code 5 times and was thinking about going back for more, now that 5 times would cost the company £125 now if only another 10 people did it then they would have lost out in over a grand.

They need to bring in stricter regs that stop this from happening, and let it not just be a case of changing email address or clearing cookies. It should be one account per household and thats final, once that account has been signed up they they cant keep doing it (unless they get it delivered else where but then thats fraud) And maybe only allowing each account to only be able to use a certain amount of codes a year.

What people dont realise is that its these codes is what makes the catalouge prices so high, notice how argos is cheap and they dont do codes. Consumer action is not about scamming companies and getting loads of freebies of them, its about getting the best possible price that you can.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • Chuffy
    Chuffy Posts: 1,254 Forumite
    Options
    Currently the system scans all orders placed with a discount code applied and checks a central database to see if the individual has been mailed or selected for the discount, if not cs is informed and the customers advised. This i beleive is not done "real time" at the order processing stage however within the next few weeks this will change and orders will not be accepted if the discount code used has not been mailed or selected for the customer.

How does it work with those customers who have used a code and it wasn't issued to them then? Will the new system pick up on these and remove the code retrospectivley as has happened to others?
    From your experience, how has it come to light that people have used codes they shouldn't and what happens if someone cancels the card they used in the original transaction?
  • kalrizienne
    kalrizienne Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Chuffy wrote:
    How does it work with those customers who have used a code and it wasn't issued to them then? Will the new system pick up on these and remove the code retrospectivley as has happened to others?
    From your experience, how has it come to light that people have used codes they shouldn't and what happens if someone cancels the card they used in the original transaction?

From what i can gather, the system is trawling accounts historically looking for discounted orders, how far back its going i dont know. It has come to light because when ,marketing send out discount codes a budget is assigned costing out the the discount. However when the analysis of the code is done the budget cost is significantly higher than expected. As for chargebacks to cancelled cards im not sure what will happen.
  • urmmmmmm
    urmmmmmm Posts: 279 Forumite
    Options
    skintchick wrote:
    Of course they can legally do it - it's in thier terms and conditions!! If you abuse codes then you can;t get miffed when they revoke them.

I'm an account holder and want to still get and use offers, but if people like many here abuse them then they'll stop them for customers like me, who don;t abuse them, and that truly isn;t fair.

I am astounded that you get on your high horses for being caught out doing something wrong!!!
    Not sure if this post was aimed at me, if so thanks for responding:D

Firstly i am a customer and have been for years
    Secondly i do shop with them occasionally when there is a sale on
    Lastly -Therefore I have abused nothing and was not whinging just asking if this could be legally done, it would be great to know how they intend to claw money back off non-customers or even customers that cancel credit cards:confused:

It was only a question so maybe its others that need to get off their high horse ;)
  • shibumi
    shibumi Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    urmmmmmm wrote:
    Not sure if this post was aimed at me, if so thanks for responding:D

Firstly i am a customer and have been for years
    Secondly i do shop with them occasionally when there is a sale on
    Lastly -Therefore I have abused nothing and was not whinging just asking if this could be legally done, it would be great to know how they intend to claw money back off non-customers or even customers that cancel credit cards:confused:

It was only a question so maybe its others that need to get off their high horse ;)

Here here!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family