toucan claims are they genuine????

Options

Comments

• j8yba
    j8yba Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    its not a scam anyway, its a legal claim, the argument here is that it can be done for free yourself.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    j8yba wrote: »
    thanks Tixy, ill look into it, from my brief browsal, if I keep up the repayments, surely I cant get a default on the account can i?

Not if you keep up with repayments - only if you decided to stop paying.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • dr1209
    Options
    Toucan claims are a marketing exercise, their call centre operatives are all w****rs. Don't deal with them.
  • Deelola
    Options
    I would like to know where they got my phone number? I am strickly ex-directory. Only close family and friends have it, no banks, employers or any other organisation has been given this number with the exception of BT and Sky! Which one of them has shared my information do you think? Sky have already provided it to a service company who call themselves sky...something or other...they keep calling me. What has happened to my data protection? How can I stop them?
  • redbantam
    Options
    I got a call from them today. I, too, am ex directory - but the woman had asked for the previous owner so maybe they are woking from old records? The pitch started by asking me if I'd seen "Watchdog" and "Panorama" programmes about the mis-selling of financial products. I simply told her that I didn't think so and that whatever she was 'phoning for I wasn't interested and that my number is ex-directory and how did she get it. It stopped her right in her tracks, she apologised and ended the call. She said that she was calling from "Toucan/Tucan? Claims".
    Imo if you need help with such a matter - do it yourself or find assistance yourself - if someone/a company is coming to you to offer it then they want something in return which means that you will be out of pocket.
  • DLMorrow
    Options
    My dad also was called about 10 mins ago, but couldn't make out the accent of the caller so he put me on. He's in his late 60s.

They said they were from Toucan Claims (and I had to make him spell it out so it was definitely them - I then found this thread when I Googled the name). The story this time was that everyone is supposed to receive some sort of letter before your credit amount on your credit card was increased however before 2007 no-one received these letters and we could make compensation claims. It sounded completely fishy so I asked how they could tell if my dad should have gotten these letters and a few other questions about how did they know we'd need this, why did they choose him etc. Turns out the guy had nothing more than my dad's initial, he didn't even know whether he was a man or a woman, and said everyone who's ever had a credit card before 2007 could make a claim. We're not exdirectory so all the info he had could be obtained from a phone book.

In the end I said 'sorry but this sounds like nonsense' so he just thanked me and hung up!! :rotfl: Stay away from this lot I'd say.
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    j8yba wrote: »
    Hi, ive also has this phone call and it sounds pretty genuine, im not one to fall for scams though

If you think this one sounds genuine, then I'm afraid you are one to fall for scams.

Like we all keep saying, even if a debt is unenforceable, it is not wiped out.

This is the law, and proven in court over and over, and anyone who tells you otherwise is a shyster.
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • Jimmy79
    Jimmy79 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds like a complete scam to me. Please dont pay them any money!
  • bobajob69
    Options
    NO NO NO NO NO NO
    DONT USE THEM!

I used them ref ppi and credit cards- they did half a job took them for ever and didn't get me anything and to top that, they are refusing to refund my upfront fee of £250.00
    I intend to complain to moj and every consumer TV show i can think of, also might try small claims court? anybody got more ideas.

DIDN'T WORK FOR ME IS ALL I CAN SAY!
  • sharpy2010
    sharpy2010 Posts: 2,471 Forumite
    Options
    Deelola wrote: »
    I would like to know where they got my phone number? I am strickly ex-directory.

They start by phoning 07700 000000, the next one they call is 07700 000001, and so on and so forth. Eventually they get to your number.

Just because you are ex directory, doesn't mean they cant completely guess your number!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure