Sky showing Bruce Almighty

Options

Comments

• nic_santorini
    Options
    ticklemouse,

I do not think you are being oversensitive at all. There should have been a television programmer vetting all programmes in light of this massive world disaster. I agree that a rescheduling of the programme would have been a good idea.

I will also email them to let them know how dissapointed I am in their scheduling.

Happy new year

nic
    Food and Smellies Shop target £50 pw - managed average of £49 per week in 2013 down to £38.90 per week in 2016
  • rushnowt
    rushnowt Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    Options
    I can fully empathise with the upset and dismay that this caused for some people and understand your grievances and the will to complain, it was very unfortunate that this was shown at this time and that some people found it so disturbing.  :-[ :(

however at the same time we surely have to think that if programmes were stopped from being shown because of upset it may cause we would eventually find that there was very little that could be shown at all, there are always going to be things on tv that upset someone at sometime whether on a large or small scale.  most programmes/films etc are made way ahead of showing and we can never predict what the future holds, i find it uncanny at times at how real some things turn out to be.

Rather than venting anger at Sky for this unfortunate mistimed showing, when there is nothing that can be done after the event, i think we would be better to address the situation in Tsunami now, and apply all our efforts into helping those that need it, rather than wasting time and energy on something that can now not be changed.

Im sorry if my comments offend anyone, that is most definatley not my intention, its just that when something has happened that can not be changed, i feel its better to do something about what can. IMO  :-[
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission ;)

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing :p

• student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Grow up. TV shouldn't just be all nice and inoffensive. It's there to entertain, inform, and educate you, and if it made you think about something then it is doing it's job properly. If you want inoffensive bland uninteresting viewing then just watch some of the usual trash that appears on television nowadays.

If Sky were to have pulled this film because of a short clip that happens to be similar to an unpleasant event happening in the real world at the moment, they would set a dangerous precedent. Sooner or later films and other programmes would be pulled left, right and centre because they feature small clips of war or famine or earthquakes or volcanoes or shipwrecks or whatever just because they might offend someone. I don't see what's wrong with TV offending a few people every now and again.
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Student100

Offending a few people? I think that nearly 1/4 million people dead, by the time this is 'over' is more than a few people. The death toll for this country alone will be in the hundreds. I don't want 'sanitised' tv - I just want a bit of thought by the schedulers.

One of my fave films is Saving Private Ryan. Don't tell me that is sanitised! The schedulers pulled The Railway Children after the train crash a couple of months ago when a few people were killed. So why show a film where a guy has God's powers and involves a Tsunami when hundreds of thousands have died.

And I don't need to be made to think, thank you. I have started a thread to make people think. I have donated as much as I can afford and will be donating much of my next few weeks wages as well. I have tonight helped a business man decide to donate 10% of his profits to the disaster.

People like you really annoy me. I, like you, am entitled to my opinions. I have spoken to a number of people who were offended by this film being shown this week. All we want is a few weeks grace before such a film is shown. If you are, as your tag may suggest, a student and therefore fairly young, then you grow up. See the world for what it is - a small place where life is precious and we all need to help each other and we don't need our noses rubbing in it.

Mind you, if you are a typical student, then maybe the price of the next pint is the most important thing on your tiny mind. After all, there are only 150,000 + people dead. We don't really need to bother about a Jim bl00dy Carrey film reminding us in its untimely scheduling.

As others have said also - I know a lot of films show disasters and tragedies and I know that someone somewhere will be affected by just about every tv program shown. I just think that the true horrific and absolute scale of this event deserves some thought in programme scheduling.

Yeah student100 - just looked. You are 19. Says it all. Holidaying in the US of A. Hope you've dug deep into your pockets for the disaster fund!!
  • Davesmum_2
    Davesmum_2 Posts: 387 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, totally insensitive and shows complete lack of tack on skys part.

Look at the reaction to 9/11 - Loads of things were edited and stopped because of this and yet, sky made this very insensitive error. Poor Show!
    I think therefore i am....not TOTALLY thick!!!
  • student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Yeah student100 - just looked. You are 19. Says it all. Holidaying in the US of A. Hope you've dug deep into your pockets for the disaster fund!!

Ok, so who's being offensive now then? ;)

Yes, I'm 19. I'm not holidaying in the USA (I was actually working, not holidaying, there this summer, I forgot to change that back. If only I could afford to be holidaying there...).

I'm studying at university so that in a few years time I will hopefully be earning a decent wage, paying taxes (no doubt paying for your pension and healthcare treatment) and for a good few years paying off a student loan. I do happen to know someone who had a very narrow escape, flying back from Phuket only hours before the tsunami hit. So I can appreciate how significant this disaster is, but that still doesn't mean there is a need to go changing TV schedules that were planned months in advance because the films contain small references to similar (but fictional) incidents to the recent disaster.
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • franky
    franky Posts: 641 Forumite
    Options
    Mind you, if you are a typical student, then maybe the price of the next pint is the most important thing on your tiny mind. After all, there are only 150,000 + people dead. We don't really need to bother about a Jim bl00dy Carrey film reminding us in its untimely scheduling.

ticklemouse

although I agree with your thoughts on the film and the insensitivity of SKY, and I do think student was rather abrupt,

the above quote lets you down badly and surely the comment/thoughts of one student doesn't give you the right to insult every student in the country, many of whom I'm sure have been affected and touched by this disaster in the same way as most people
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    franky

To you and all other students, then I apologise for my insensitive comment, it was just student100 I was mad with.

I too have been a 'typical student', who went on to get a good job to fund today's students child benefits and education, so that in turn you can get an education and work to pay my pension and healthcare ;D

I know that most people, in whatever walk of life have been affected by this terrible event and many have given generously, in money, time, love and prayers.
  • Irv_2
    Options
    I feel I need to reply to this.

My recolection of the film is sketchy as I saw it in the cinema originally but I believe the scene you are referring to is after bruce alters the position of the moon (bringing it closer to earth). the news clip is of a tidal wave that hits Japan.

this is an important point. a tidal wave is caused by the moon's pull and a tsunami is caused by an earthquake. wikipedia have a nice page explaining it all. also while japan is in asia it is several hundred miles away from the areas affected by the tsunami.

I can't decide if you're upset because the clip showed scenes of devestation caused by water which you may think inaproriate or if you don't know the difference between todal wave and tsunami or you don't know where japan is.

I believe the scene in the film was integral to story as it showed the extreme consequences of bruce's selfish actions. whether or not sky should have shown it isn't any of my business, i don't have sky.

following the same logic, should that program shown on the bbc about the floods in boscastle have not been aired?

i think there's a fine line between showing respect for the dead and going to far.

not wanting to start a fight, this thread has got personal enough. just throwing in some facts.
  • Epiphone
    Epiphone Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    Sky played a warning before the film started telling people that the tidal wave scenes were in the film. If you're so offended your TV has an "off" button. You can use it whenever you lile.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure