PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What has the OS Board "made" you buy??

Options
I find that coming on the OS board, often kicks off my "I want that" syndrome.

First it was the breadmaker (Panasonic SD253 naturally). Then it was a yoghurt maker (picked up in a charity shop), I already had the slow cooker. Just recently I "had" to buy Stardrops and Starclens and I have found myself looking at the "Kefir grains" but have so far resisted buying them!!!!!!!

What has OS made you part with your money for?
Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

Comments

• oops_a_daisy
    oops_a_daisy Posts: 2,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    good thread Larmy :)

Well the OS board 'made' me take my bread maker out of the cupboard and now I use it daily :p I have joined the freecycle group to get some kefir grains :o I have bought some soapnuts and soda crystals for my washing :cool: I am growing my own veggies for the first time ever :D I now home cook cakes , biscuits and meals thus making me get my food processor out of the cupboard and actually use it :rolleyes: I now use vinegar for cleaning :A I am sure there are more things that the OS board has 'made' me do but re the above I think I needed a kick up the bum :eek:
    :cool: Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07 :cool:
  • samnmalc
    samnmalc Posts: 448 Forumite
    Options
    I had to buy the panny 253 breadmaker (which I use all the time) ,

the tefal food steamer (which I also use all the time) ,

microfibre cloths

and I've got an allotment for all my organic fruit and veg!:D
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    - A second freezer for all my batch cooking.

- Some of those rubber tumble-drier balls so I don't use scented laundry sheets any more.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Vinegar
    Soda Crystals
    Borax
    Stick Blender
    Microfibre cloths
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• outrageous_monkey
    Options
    blimey, were to start........

Soda crystals
    Stardrops
    micro fibre clothes (and micro fibre bath towels)
    white vinegar
    Veg seeds (lots and lots)
    check out the reduced section at the supermarker and stock up
    slow cooker (actually that was given to me, but I had never used it)

so thats what I have bought..............but on the other hand, I have saved far far more
    I also remember the words of my friends, but I would rather have enemies than friends like you :p

:p would like to make it known that ZubeZubes avvy is a DHN, she's not dancing :o
  • metherer
    metherer Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    Well, in true MoneySaving style, I have bought very little (some microfibre cloths and stardrops. didn't it used to be in a glass bottle???)

However, I have been bought a slow cooker, by my mum. She also donated her bread machine as she wasn't getting much use out of it.

Metherer
    x
    Not heavily in debt, but still trying to sort things out.
    Baby due July 2018.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Options
    Clothes Airer/MATH-so dont use TD anymore:D
    Vinegar-clean surfaces, windows, glass etc
    Microfibre cloths-use for everything
    Stardrops-floors and all surfaces
    SC...a big one:rotfl:
    Stick blender-to blend:confused: LOL
    Compost bin-£3 from local council and is huge

Lots of other stuff ive changed but thats what Ive bought.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • bargainqueen_2
    Options
    Brilliant post!!! Ok....Huge slow cooker (use it a fair bit), Panny 253 (not that impressed but still practising), microfibre cloth, food processor, yoghurt maker, sprouting unit (off freecycle), kefir grains, rice cooker, vinegar, washing soda crystals, laundry soap, Veggie seeds (and sprouting ingredients) kilos and kilos of bicarb of soda :D
    Probably more but this is just what I can think off.
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
  • annie-c
    annie-c Posts: 2,542 Forumite
    Options
    Slow cooker (and I'm afraid I'm not a huge fan (sorry!!) but have used a few times)

Mini greenhouse + various gardening bits and bobs & seeds - DEFINITELY won't pay for itself this year, but am loving every minute of growing my own and hope I'll keep it up for years to come

Bean sprouter + lots of pulses -which I LOVE, so worth every penny

Bicarb, Vinegar, soda crystals and borax in industrial quantities - which I've hardly made a dent in, but hopefully I'll keep up my good work and learn a few more uses for them

recycling bins - which I'm ashamed to say I struggle to remember to use instead of the bin

And loads more... OS has certainly fed my shopping habit, but I feel that, on the whole, I save so much by reading these threads by not wasting food anymore and looking to reuse things instead of always buying new. Unlike the Grabbit Board, which is fab, but just fuels my spending addiction, without really saving me a penny!!!!!
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A new slow cooker as I wasn't too bothered about replacing the one I had that was sticking everything to the bottom. Now I have two.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family