New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

cooking for one

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
33 replies 28.1K views
[Deleted User][Deleted User]
0 posts
10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
Hi,
I am a widow of just over a year and I'm fed up with eating jacket spuds and salad.Does anyone know of a reasonable(cheap) recipe book that I can buy that gives recipes for one.My freezer is full of left over mince and I would like to eat something different for a change.
Great site by the way,I am disabled and have recently aquired a discount card for the cinema via web-sites listed on here,also a discount card for travel to the Isle of wight via ferry.Whe you live on a fixed income any discount helps no matter what.
Happy New Year to all on this site

Replies

• trutru Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi :)

There's some recipes HERE and HERE. Some of the posts have links to recipes books :)
    Bulletproof
  • Sofa_SogoodSofa_Sogood Forumite
    5.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sites like Sainsbury's have recipes for meals for one etc Jackie. And one pot meals type of thing. A quick Google should find it.

HTH :)
  • Sofa_SogoodSofa_Sogood Forumite
    5.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi :)

There's some recipes HERE and HERE.  Some of the posts have links to recipes books :)

Didn't realise you'd answered troo, but even better.

No need to leave the site! ;)
  • trutru Forumite
    9.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    ;D

There was another thread, called 'The Recipe Thread', I'm sure I saw it the other day but I can't find it :-/ Mind you I haven't woken up properly yet ;D
    Bulletproof
  • jaybeejaybee Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    There is a book by Delia Smith called One Is Fun which you should be able to get at your library. I think it's also available in paperback in bookshops. I also think I remember seeing some solo recipes on her website.
  • elonaelona Forumite
    11.8K posts
    There is a paperback by Shirley Goode on cooking for one with very good down to earth ideas and no overly fancy recipes.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • GladGlad Forumite, Board Guide
    18.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why not cook more elaborate meals for 2 and freeze one portion
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
  • QueenieQueenie Forumite
    8.8K posts
    As stated above, you could cook a "family" recipe and freeze the remaining 3 portions - great economy on cooking fuel and washing up too.

Alternatively, look around the library (free!) or bookstores for *student* cookery books - nearly always geared towards meals for one or two, definately geared towards thrift and for those occasions where you have company, they include recipes for entertaining.

Another alternative is ... if you know of other "singles" in your area, get to know them, club together and do the rounds taking it in turns to cook for one another and to help save on buying bulk buy items to share out.
    (This might also be a good way to get to know others, as I am sure that it is very hard returning to "single" status when you are grieving on top (((hugs))) )

HTH :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • My usual one I trot out is the all in one recipe for a roast dinner!! A chicken portion or a chop or small bit of meat popped into a baking tray, cover with gravy - I just mix up some bisto and chuck over! Then pop in potatoes carrots etc and let it cook - One pan to wash up and if you have a guest just double the quantity.
    May I extend my condolences - belated as they are.
  • The book mentioned by Elona is called 'Goode for One', I would also recommend it, not just for the recipes but also for the inspirational budgetting strategy. I think it's out of print now but I just looked on Amazon and they have copies available from 50p!