PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cooking for one

124»

Comments

• What a battle to keep food budget ok as one lives on one's own.:beer::money:
    #TY[/B] Would be Qaulity MSE Challenge Queen.
    Reading whatever books I want to the rescue!:money::beer[/B
    WannabeBarrister, WannabeWife, Wannabe Campaign Girl Wannabe MSE Girl #wannnabeALLmyFamilygirl
    #notbackyetIamfightingfortherighttobeMSEandFREE
  • cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    this thread is nearly 7 years old is there a good reason for bumping it?
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • I have lived alone for 35 years approximately and I soon realised that I was going to have to "cook". I have various strategies:
    1. I cook casseroles etc for 4 or halve the recipe and cook for 2. I then freeze the other portions or eat the same meal twice over the next couple of days.
    2. I halve, or quarter, the ingredients in the recipe and then proceed as instructed.
    As a single person I find it more useful to have food ready cooked in the fridge. As there is no need to cook for others you can get quite lazy and just have a sandwich or toast etc. Whereas if you have prepared some food in advance you can just reheat it in the microwave. Right now I am using an excellent cook book "Home at Seven. Dinner at 8" by Sophie Wright - it is on Bookpeople.co.uk. The food may look expensive but I just improvise with what I have to hand. Tonight I adapted a recipe and made Cannellini Bean and Tomato salad with panfried chorizo and chilli calamari and parmesan...very nice. I think that the original recipe was chick peas, squid and feta. Then I had apple pie and custard. Most of my ingredients were end of day bargains and I don't think that it cost more than £1. if you shop for bargains, split up the packs into single serving sizes before you freeze and acquire a good store cupboard of basics and herbs and spices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure