PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cooking for one

Comments

• Caz2_2
    Caz2_2 Posts: 199 Forumite
    Hi, I am a veggie and hubby is a carnivore and we eat late on an evening so im always cooking different meals. My favorite for me is to put loads of tomatoes (cherry is best but expensive so use big ones and cut them in to 4) in an oven tin spinkle olive oil over and put loads of herbs in and 2/3 bay leafs and rock salt, cover with tin foil and cook on very low heat for about 2 hours. I then put them in a processor with dijon mustard, pesto if i have some and a bit of sugar. You can add what ever you like -soya sauce, worchester sauce. I add homemade chilli sauce as well. I divide it into single portions and freeze it. I usually have it with wholewheat spagetti (often can't tell difference to white) I cook it until its nearly done ( if you you chuck a piece at wall and it sticks, its there!) add sauce, mix it up grated cheese on top and in oven. PS every time I go to supermarket I look for tomatoes that are reduced in winter and I grow tons in summer I'm always eating this receipe its a wonder I don't look like a tomato PS If hubby has it I add crispy bacon. Hope this helps
    Caroline
  • Caz2_2
    Caz2_2 Posts: 199 Forumite
    ps take bay leaves out before whizzing up and you can add toasted pine nuts or seseme seeds to topping. lovely-off to make some for tonight.
  • rafi_2
    rafi_2 Posts: 110 Forumite
    My condolences to you Jackie, I know what it's like, I recently was widowed too, very suddenly and very unexpectedly.

Re the student books, Cas Clarke has written several, Grub on a Grant, The Essential Student Cookbook, Peckish but Poor, and I think many more.

I think cooking at least two portions and freezing one is a great idea, because often you can't think of what to cook and sometimes don't really feel like anything either, but if you have some extra portions already in the freezer it's great to just be able to take something out and it be ready in no time.

I must check out all the links everyone has added already and get ideas. I think the whole site is fantastic - and addictive! - you recognise regular posters and feel there are friends around.

I have the Delia book, One is Fun, but I feel like putting a brown paper cover on it, because every time I see the title, automatically inside I'm saying "No it b........y isn't!!"

Thanks for the ideas, everyone, will be trying them. :)
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sorry to hear of your loss.
    Is there a friend or a relative you could get together with and take turns to cook meals for each other? Otherwise I think the best advice from here is cook 'family' size portions and freeze the rest, and keep an inventory of it as you put it in, so you dont end up with a freezer full of bolognese sauce.
    I dont think it can be moneysaving to cook single portions.
    I always think of food when i think of bereavement. When my dad died I suddenly took on the role of 'mother' looking after my mum, making sure she ate, because if i hadnt cooked for her she would have not eaten a thing. I was 15, sis was 12 and mum worked full time. One favourite was a tin of sainsburys spicy mixed beans topped with mashed potato, a sort of vegi shepherd's pie. To make it more special i would add peppers sometimes. It could be made in separate dishes for individual portions.
    As a single parent I find myself eating alone when i cannot stomach the 4.30 to 5pm tea demanded by my kids! I end up eating the wierdest things like half a plate of cabbage with a fish portion, or a tin of tuna followed by a tin of peaches! At least you can get away with such odd habits when eating alone. Had you thought of being a dinner supervisor in a school or helping out in a hospital or old peoples home, thereby either avoiding mealtimes or having someone else to share them with ;)
    All the best x
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Hi Jackie - I found a great recipe on the back of a packet of dried pasta (there are loads of others too) Pasta is great because you rarely have any waste and it cooks quickly. I cooked coloured pasta twirls (although you could use any) for about 10 mins max. (or can do in mocrowave) and then in another pan cooked one chopped red pepper, one chopped rasher of smokey bacon and one tin of chopped tomatoes with herbs - takes about 10 mins - if you fancy - add to a flameproof dish - sprinkle with grated cheese - bung under grill for a couple of mins - yummy. If you find that the whole pepper makes too much sauce freeze some for later
  • GTG
    GTG Posts: 458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How to Boil an Egg by Jan Arkless ISBN 0716020734

An excellent inexpensive paper back. It goes back to the basics but it's worth a look. Best see if there are any reviews on amazon to help you decide whether to borrow(library)/purchase it.
  • Hi JackieO, sorry 'bout your recent loss.

I like to pop in to my local Waitrose for their free recipes.

They are not always cheap to make but are quite tasty sometimes.

What I tend to do to keep the price down is, instead of buying the products they recommend from their store I go to Asda for e.g, its much cheaper that way if you can find what you're looking for.

Good look!

All the best
  • marsha8
    marsha8 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Hello Jackie.
    I also live alone & I love my food & enjoy cooking.My favourite kitchen gadget is my slo cooker & just about any recipe can be adapted to it.Cook enough for 4 & freeze some portions. My slo cooker came with a recipe book &the recipes are all great:Chilli, Stew, Curry, Sausage hotpot, Roast Chicken to name a few.I also use the Delia Smith "One is Fun" cookery book (bought off Ebay) I like my roast & on Saturday I cook a tiny (mini) joint with all the trimmings & then plate up a meal for Sunday as well!Often I enjoy the Sunday meal more because I haven't had to cook it! Take care.
  • I work 12 shifts and cooking for 1 is hard but I use lots of ready meals. They get better each year.

Try ICELAND spag boll, curries etc. 99p or 5 for £4.00

80p for a meal, boiled in 30 minutes or nuked in 6 !!

ASDA and all the others do similar.

I also cook fresh but make 5 helpings and freeze some. My freezer always has something that can be ready in minutes.

Regards - Phil
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Phil, do you find the portions adequate for you? I do wonder with these ready meals, as if I do the same sort of recipe at home, we have about 3 times as much!
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport