PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cooking for one

Comments

• r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    The book mentioned by Elona is called 'Goode for One', I would also recommend it, not just for the recipes but also for the inspirational budgetting strategy.  I think it's out of print now but I just looked on Amazon and they have copies available from 50p!

I would also recommend this book. It is certainly inspirational. I have just been given a freezer (a family cast off) and sanata brought me a microwave this year so I ahve started to cook double prtions and freeze for another day.

The moneysavers on this site have given me loads of ideas on cooking for one and some of the best are in the recipe section.

HTH
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    I buy nearly all my meat & fish in large family packs when they're on special offer and then split them up into individual portions for freezing. Chicken breasts are particularly good because they're so versatile for one - there's just enough meat for a good stir fry/curry/stuffed chicken breast/chicken baked with tomato & herb sauce/creamy chicken and pasta......etc!

One of my favourite standbys is the good old tin of tomatoes. Fry an onion with garlic/chilli/herbs/whatever you fancy to give it a bit of flavour. Add a family sized tin of tomatoes and simmer for 15 mins. Put half of the sauce on top of piece of fish (cod is good), wrap in a foil parcel & bake in the oven for 25mins. The other half of the sauce can be used with pasta & cheese the following evening.

As others have said, the key to cooking for one is not to think of preparing individual meals from scratch, but to cook in larger quantities that can be frozen or used in other dishes. It's much more economical and will give you a much broader range of dishes to try.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you folks for all of your ideas.It certainly gave me a few ideas.
    I think this is the best site on the net and I keep passing it on to friends and family.
    My two daughters are always asking what new tips i have found on my 'money saving' site
    Thank you all too for your kind wishes, it is difficult at times but one must try ones best to keep cheerful as there's lots worse off than me.
    Happy New Year to all on this site.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Hi Jackie, I was looking at another site and spotted an ad for this slow cooker. Its a small one for 2 portions. :)
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Jackie

If you look on Moneysaving old style there are loads of slow cooker recipes that I am sure you would enjoy.

Well done for your positive attitude to your life and keep using the site . I found it incredibly useful :)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Netto are doing one for £9.99 - I think on Monday - was thinking about getting one myself
  • loopy_lass
    loopy_lass Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    on a more practical note jak, you could always invite me round for dinner so there would be no need to freeze leftovers ;-)

now thats money saving .. on my part ;-)

what time you want me?

loops xx
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN... :A
  • a1poser
    a1poser Posts: 14 Forumite
    Or stick the 2nd portion in the freezer!
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • I use a couple of books:

Bedsitter cookery by katherine whitehorn
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books-uk&field-author=Whitehorn%2C%20Katharine/202-1921895-2276647
    (check the dates on these - you might want one of her more recent ones)

Stuent Grub by Jan Arkless:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books-uk&field-author=Arkless%2C%20Jan/202-1921895-2276647

You might want to try baking your own bread aswell - delicious!
  • mlockett
    mlockett Posts: 14 Forumite
    As a widower for the past three years, I have had to be innovative too.
    I have found this thread to be useful. http://forum.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Home;action=display;num=1084686039;start=0
    I think it was one of Andrea’s recipes that inspired me to make a Corned Beef Casserole, it was so simple. Now I try variations on the theme, with or without meat. I also add a prepared couple of tins (depending on number of guests) of Aldi’s Mediterranean Style Casserole to the recipe, yes I know it’s cheating, but I did say I had to be innovative, I don’t know whether it’s a magic ingredient, but relatives and neighbours usually end up with second helpings and clean plates for me.
    I certainly didn’t have any complaints from the grandchildren.
    Result, I get invites out too.
    M ::)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family